• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Looking for new irons

J-bird

Aug 20, 2013
Land of the Packers
Country
United States United States
Hello everybody, new to forum. I've been getting back into golf this year and I have always used blades. Problem is I cant hit them consistently. My set is nike pro combos from 2004. I love the look but having issues with not hitting the sweet spot and losing alot of distance. Looking for a new set of game improvement with the look of blades. Any thoughts on clubs i should try out, I generally have to high of a ball flight. Would like to spend 500 or less and dont really care if its a model from a few years ago.

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
Welcome to the best golf forum around! I've heard a lot of good things about Diablo irons and they are fairly inexpensive now. I've only played 1 set of game improvement clones and now some really old blades so I'm not much use for your question. Or for anything else golf related I'm sure :D

tv0014

Jul 16, 2013
I would recommend trying titleist AP2 irons they have the feel of blades when u hit them well but have the forgivness of a game improvment irons and the ball flight is not necessarily affected by the club head but by the shaft you have in the club so I would go and get fitted for the right shafts if I were you.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Callaway Preowned Golf is an excellent site. Callaway has produced some extremely forgiving irons. CPG has a large number of older model irons at good prices. Their reputation is stellar.
Most any of the "G" series Pings are quite forgiving. Many of the older models... G5, etc. can be had reasonably.

OP
J-bird

J-bird

Aug 20, 2013
Land of the Packers
Country
Those ap2s are a grand, (little to steep for me) ill check out those diablos...just dont want anything with a real wide sole. I am lefty so its hard to find clubs to demo.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Those ap2s are a grand, (little to steep for me) ill check out those diablos...just dont want anything with a real wide sole. I am lefty so its hard to find clubs to demo.
What's your budget?

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Beyond worth it.

That said, i wasn't fitted for my current irons
LOL!

Welcome to the forum, J. Definitely get fitted before making a decision, and you might even find a place that will fit you for free.

I'll say +1 to Callaway Preowned. I demo'd clubs at a local place and then bought them from there for about 1/4 of the price of the pro shop (driver was half-off and I got my 5w for free when I bought my 3w for half-off) so good deals abound.

Also, if you like the Nikes, check out their VR Pro combos. Apparently Nike took a huge step forward in their production quality with the VR Pro line. And since they're a few years old, you should be able to find them for well under $500.

Good luck, and welcome aboard! :)

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Let me stir the pot....
Getting started? Somewhat near average height... 5-10 to 6-1? Buy a set of good game improvement irons and go have fun!! Here's my take on getting fitted.

First, finding a qualified fitter. Golf Digest did an article a few years ago about fitting. They sent 4 players... 20 hcp, 10 hcp, scratch, and a low hcp lady to a number of fitters across the Country. It was amazing how differently they were fitted. One might be fitted for stiff shafts at one fitter and regular at another. One might be fitted for upright lies at one fitter and flat at another.
Many retail stores advertise "fitting". Yet, the retail clerks doing the fitting have had no advanced training other than reading a few copies of Golf Tips or Playboy.
Then, you have the difficulty of a repeating swing. If just getting started, can you actually repeat a swing day to day, week to week, or swing to swing? After you play a while and, perhaps take a few lessons, you may develop a repeating swing and be better suited for getting fitted.
Most irons, today, can be easily bent upright or flat. If you buy standard lie irons and get fitted once you are playing more, you should be able to have those same irons bent to suit.

As you will see, there are numerous opinions re fitting. In this industry, there are too many with some first aid training practicing cardiovascular surgery. Be aware.

OP
J-bird

J-bird

Aug 20, 2013
Land of the Packers
Country
Let me stir the pot....
Getting started? Somewhat near average height... 5-10 to 6-1? Buy a set of good game improvement irons and go have fun!! Here's my take on getting fitted.

First, finding a qualified fitter. Golf Digest did an article a few years ago about fitting. They sent 4 players... 20 hcp, 10 hcp, scratch, and a low hcp lady to a number of fitters across the Country. It was amazing how differently they were fitted. One might be fitted for stiff shafts at one fitter and regular at another. One might be fitted for upright lies at one fitter and flat at another.
Many retail stores advertise "fitting". Yet, the retail clerks doing the fitting have had no advanced training other than reading a few copies of Golf Tips or Playboy.
Then, you have the difficulty of a repeating swing. If just getting started, can you actually repeat a swing day to day, week to week, or swing to swing? After you play a while and, perhaps take a few lessons, you may develop a repeating swing and be better suited for getting fitted.
Most irons, today, can be easily bent upright or flat. If you buy standard lie irons and get fitted once you are playing more, you should be able to have those same irons bent to suit.

As you will see, there are numerous opinions re fitting. In this industry, there are too many with some first aid training practicing cardiovascular surgery. Be aware.

That's my concern about the irons,and why I want something that will still be useful when I get my swing back. You said most irons can be bent, are there specific ones that i should look out for that cant be bent?

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
The newer Nike pro combos are sweet and very cheap on ebay for like $300. But the best irons out there (for me) are Mizuno MPs. I game the MP57s which are dirt cheap or you could go for a newer set.

Do yourself a favor and at least try any set of Mizuno MPs before making your final decision!

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Wilson Staff Ci9 or Ci11. I'm a Wilson Staff fan and any Ci or even Pi series irons of theirs fits the bill of what you're looking for. Most people pass on them because they're not one of the huge OEM's, but their product speaks for itself. They're underrated. I don't like every single thing they make... I just dumped some wedges (FG Tours) and a putter (8883) that I thought i'd love but just weren't for me. Great quality just didn't fit my eye like I had hoped. I've had three sets of their irons though and still wonder why I bothered to try anything else.

Members online

No members online now.