• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Looking.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
rockford35 said:
JC,

I read through your points to Nam that you made nodding my head in agreement through the whole thing, except where you mentioned customizing an OEM head would result in a poor showing.

I would have to disagree. I customized my GBBII to my swing type, speed and preference and have never been happier with any driver that i have ever hit. I feel the control and confidence that one needs when they step up to the tee with the big stick. My driver is an 8.5*, which is what i found to deliver the ball trajectory for me. If i could in fact get a lower degree loft i would have as i hit the ball a little high now even for my liking. I'm averaging 280+ off the tee , but i get very little roll because of the high, boring drives.

But something that's a good thing. :rolleyes:

I agree with many of your points, you've brought up a bunch of good ones. But i personally think it's unfair to say that OEM clubs are difficult to tailor make to someone's game. I agree, stock OEM shafts are inconsistent, but aftermarket shafts can help out tremendously in that respect. I'm loiving proof of that.

No hard feelings, just wanted to point that out.

Cheers,

R35
I'll agree with JC, but for different reason. It's all well and good to customize an OEM, but my $ is on buying component, as then you get the quality, and only pay for the shaft once. It's an expensive prospect to pay full $ on OEM and turn around and buy a shaft. If ye Ol LoCo Pro hadn't have fit me off the shelf, I would have built component and been just as well for it.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Agreed, but that's not fully what i was saying.

I was stating that purchasing an OEM club to customize does work. The heads have the research and development put into them. It's the fact that shafts are so wide on the spectrum of what they truely represent is what makes them so inconsistent. Sure, a great deal will be close, but the odd one will be way off.

However, i see your dilema. But i have ZERO intension of buying a new ERC Fusion to turn around and put a new shaft in it. But, I am willing to wait for the next big thing on the block to blind people into buying it, and therefore reap the rewards of clubs that have been scarcely played and sold to me at a considerable loss. Just like my GBBII. I paid 180CDN for it shipped and there's no way you could have told that it was even played with when i got it. I used it for three rounds before putting in my Grafalloy shaft and haven't looked back.

Components work for some people, i won't disagree with that at all. I just think it's fair to say that OEM clubs are good, you just need to have some patience and work the system to get ahead of the game.

Just my two bits, for what it's worth.

R35

jc@bg

Style guru
Sep 10, 2004
Customizing OEM

Rockford,

If I gave the impression that customizing OEM is not effective, then I should have done a better job explaining. I tend to believe that it's more COST-effective to customize non-OEM, and that custom club makers may be more flexible with regard to trade-ins, even repeated trade-ins. However, I've owned most of the major OEM "woods," and I wish I had had the facility (or good sense) to try different shafts in them when they didn't produce quite the ball flight I was looking for, rather than selling OEM driver #1 (with stock shaft) and then buying OEM drivers #2, #3, #4, and so forth while continuing to look for the perfect ball flight.

In short, I totally agree that OEM club heads can be customized effectively and can (in this process) provide awesome-performing clubs. It's not as *easy* to reshaft bore-through heads like the GBBII, but it definitely can be done, and done well. Of all the driver and fairway wood heads out there, I personally think the GBBII is about the best looking. I just would hate to do the diagonal shaft cuts for that head more than once. Little harder to experiment with, that's all.

Thanks for the feedback. -- JC

rockford35 said:
JC,

I read through your points to Nam that you made nodding my head in agreement through the whole thing, except where you mentioned customizing an OEM head would result in a poor showing.

I would have to disagree. I customized my GBBII to my swing type, speed and preference and have never been happier with any driver that i have ever hit. I feel the control and confidence that one needs when they step up to the tee with the big stick. My driver is an 8.5*, which is what i found to deliver the ball trajectory for me. If i could in fact get a lower degree loft i would have as i hit the ball a little high now even for my liking. I'm averaging 280+ off the tee , but i get very little roll because of the high, boring drives.

But something that's a good thing. :rolleyes:

I agree with many of your points, you've brought up a bunch of good ones. But i personally think it's unfair to say that OEM clubs are difficult to tailor make to someone's game. I agree, stock OEM shafts are inconsistent, but aftermarket shafts can help out tremendously in that respect. I'm loiving proof of that.

No hard feelings, just wanted to point that out.

Cheers,

R35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
No worries. I'm on the same page, just in a different book. :D

Cheers JC!

R35

jc@bg

Style guru
Sep 10, 2004
Your quote

Stumped me on that one. Couldn't be James Michener, since he didn't appear in any of his own books. Could have been James Bond....Sounds like something Miss Moneypenny would have said. But I take you for a higher-caliber reader/moviegoer than Ian Fleming. No door prize for me; probably was a stinking crusher gripper, anyway.

rockford35 said:
No worries. I'm on the same page, just in a different book. :D

Cheers JC!

R35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
JC,

You're on the right track with Moneypenny. But i need the name of the movie.

When i went to see it, this line was spoken right at the beginning and I laughed my ass off at it. No one else in the super packed theatre got the joke, so i looked like a dork. Then i filled everyone in about the pun, and they started to laugh.

Who's the dork now? :confused:

You're close tho. No guessing. You have to know the situation and what movie it was in.

And the prize isn't a gripper. Trust me. I need those to hit the ball far. :rolleyes:

R35

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.