• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Lovin' the NFL again!

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Really? A top QB? He had his best year and he still would not have been considered a top QB. He threw for 3144 yards, 19th in the NFL. He averaged 196.5 ypg, 30th in the NFL. He threw 17 TD's, 17th in the NFL. Accuracy of 61.3%, 12th in the NFL. Those are not the numbers of a top QB.

What were Rodgers, Brady's or Brees' numbers after only a few years? Give it time!

Also, the only stat that I care about is 14. That is the number of wins he led his team to so far this year. More than Manning, Brady, Brees and EVERY other QB in the league this year except Rodgers.

Stats are great for the fantasy leagues, for me I like WINS baby!

PS-all those stats you quoted put him in the top half or third of QB's in the league. Not ever QB is elite, just ask the Ravens.

shep3470

Apr 5, 2009
Omaha, NE
What were Rodgers, Brady's or Brees' numbers after only a few years? Give it time!

PS-all those stats you quoted put him in the top half or third of QB's in the league. Not ever QB is elite, just ask the Ravens.

Stats as starter - first 3 years:

Rodgers: 252.4, 277.1, 261.5 ypg........63.6%, 64.7%, 65.7% accuracy.....28, 30, 28 TD's.........105.9, 93.8, 103.3 QB rating

Brees: 205.2, 191.6, 210.6 ypg........60.85%, 57.65%, 65.5% accuracy.....17, 11, 27 TD's........76.9, 67.5, 104.8 QB rating

Brady: 189.5, 235.2, 226.2 ypg........63.9%, 62.1%, 60.2% accuracy........18, 28, 23 TD's........86.5, 85.7, 85.9 QB rating

Smith: 97.2, 180.6, 130.6 ypg........50.9%, 58.1%, 48.7% accuracy........1, 16, 2 TD's........40.8, 74.8, 57.2 QB rating

According to those stats Brees, Brady and Rodgers had awesome first 3 seasons as starters compared to Smith.

30th in YPG is 5th worse for guys playing 10+ games. Below him were Tebow, Gabbert, Ponder, and Moore.

17th in TD's out of 28 QB's who palyed 10+ games. Yeah this is in the top half of the NFL but not impressive.

12th in accuracy. Yes that one is good. Not great, but good.

14 - the number of wins the DEFENSE led the 49er's to, not Smith.

All of those stats I quoted in my last post do not put him at great or elite status, making him one of the top QB's. Average would be fit for Smith this year.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
ok, I think we are having the wrong discussion here. I dont know that its fair comparing him to the ELITE guys. Clearly he is not one of them yet. It is fair to say that since he had 6 difference Offensive Coordinators and a pretty bad team around him it stunted his development.

And like it or not, he is a leader on the team. Defense wins championships, just ask the Aints. I am willing to bet that the Niners will stick with him, he hasnt shown any glaring weaknesses this year other than learning a new system and new attitude.

I will take 14 wins ANY day, regardless of who you think led them. That defense is sick, but you still need to score. The offense put up 36 last night, Gore ran pretty well and Smith passed well. Take a look at the location of his passes. They were only where our guys could get them.

Does he have room to improve? Of course! Do I like what I am seeing? I do.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Are you talking about the 2009 Super Bowl Champ Saints? The team that was 20th out of 32 in Total Defense? The team that was 6th out of 10 in team defense in the playoffs?

Yeah, the ones that all the talking heads and analysts picked to beat the Niners, not realizing that the Aints hadnt faced a real defense in months!

shep3470

Apr 5, 2009
Omaha, NE
You may want to word it better than "Defense wins championships, just ask the Aints." I thought you were saying the Saints won the Super Bowl in 2009 because of their defense.

And what talking head were you listening to? If you saw the stats you would see that the Saints are a totally different team on the road. In a bet with a buddy of mine I bet him $50 the 49er's would win. If you look at the stats poeple should have know it was a game that could have gone either way. Ask those same talking heads you heard and ask them where they had the 49er's at the beginning of the season. I bet they weren't on their radar at all.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Every analyst that was on ESPN during the week pretty much picked the Saints.

Anyway, bring on the Giants!!!

shep3470

Apr 5, 2009
Omaha, NE
Every analyst that was on ESPN during the week pretty much picked the Saints.

Because analysts are always right. Here are the ESPN experts picks before the season started. ESPN experts' NFL predictions for 2011 - ESPN

Also look at their pre-season power rankings. NFL Power Rankings Preseason - National Football League - ESPN Not even close on the Eagles at #3, Bucs at #12, Rams at #15, 49er's at #26, Bengals at #32. So yeah, we should believe all the experts.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Because analysts are always right. Here are the ESPN experts picks before the season started. ESPN experts' NFL predictions for 2011 - ESPN

Also look at their pre-season power rankings. NFL Power Rankings Preseason - National Football League - ESPN Not even close on the Eagles at #3, Bucs at #12, Rams at #15, 49er's at #26, Bengals at #32. So yeah, we should believe all the experts.

Not sayin' we need to listen, you asked what talking heads I was listening to.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Ok, well, I don't think stats matter at all, but rather the individual plays you see during a game. That's one reason why I will never consider Big Ben an elite QB. Yes, at the end he manages to make enough passes to sum up yards and increase the QB Rating, but when you watch the "bad plays" you realise he forced passes ending up in interceptions, and seems to just want to sum up yards for his own ego. Something similar to Brett Favre. He had the best running back in Peterson, but he wanted to show he was too good and ended up throwing two interceptions against the Saints. Talking about the Saints, watch out for Brees second interception last night. The stats will say he threw 2 interceptions that night, but the pass was absolutely perfect! The Niners CB just covered perfectly and jumped half a second before the WR and was able to intercept the ball over the WR's head. For me, that means being "elite". Rodgers running for five 1st downs today, that is being elite.

Smith I'm sure can be a decent QB and can take the Niners to a couple of SB easily (Bradshaw won 4 SB but comapring his passing game with Montana's would be a Joke). He can have good games, of course! That's what he is being paid for! He was a first overall pick! That's what you would expect from him! I admit I like him like 500% better after yesterday when he should he has character under pressure, but still, he should have had no need for heroism if he would have played the other 3 quarters and 12 minutes the way he should have done so.

On the other hand, I really like the Giants, and against your picks Jim, I would say the SB would be Patriots-Giants yet again! How awesome would it be to hve the 2008 final once again!!!!

Why? Well, the QB pressure and DL dominance the Giants is showing is far better than New Orleans's. Alex Smith had a lot of trouble yesterday against the Saints, so I'm thinking he will have even more trouble against the Giants. Eli Manning is playing good. The offensive game is nothing compared to the Saint's, but I think it is good enough to score against the Niners, and score more points than the Niners will be able to.

About New England, well, Brady played a hell of a ame yesterday, and the Broncos defense is not a bad one. Bellichick is the best coach in the game, and I'm sure he has enough plays to confuse a QB like Flacco who is getting better but still far from being a real threat (Just like Smith, he won the game against the Steelers with a last second TD, but that doesn't make him a good enough QB for a SB team). Brady just needs to score more points than the horrible Patriot's defense aloud.

Again, ANYTHING can happen, so let's wait and see what does next week holds hehehe

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I am intrigued by the Giants-Niners matchup. Yes, the Giants DL can get more pressure but I also think you will see the Niners try to run more. I mean, who wants the NIners throwing 42 times? Well, other than the Giants and their fans.

I have to say, I was very impressed by the Pats offense and NOT at all impressed with Baltimore as a whole. I still pick the Pats.

I can't wait for next weekend!

shep3470

Apr 5, 2009
Omaha, NE
No matter what happens I want to see the NFC win the Super Bowl. I'd like to see the 49er's win just because it has been awhile since they have been there. But I'd also like to see the Giants win so Eli can hold it over Peyton that he has more rings.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
No matter what happens I want to see the NFC win the Super Bowl. I'd like to see the 49er's win just because it has been awhile since they have been there. But I'd also like to see the Giants win so Eli can hold it over Peyton that he has more rings.

1994 was the last SB for the Niners. Those were the good old days, Steve Young, Jerry Rice. YOung threw 6 TD's in that tieing the record that Brady tied this past weekend. I forget the other guy that also had 6.

Its been a long decade for us Niner fans and it truly is a treat to watch football when your team has a chance. These last years, I admit I hadnt been into the NFL like I have this year. I still watched but didnt really care.

Harbaugh has a good shot at coach of the year, his only competition would be Kubiak in Houston.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Its been a long decade for us Niner fans and it truly is a treat to watch football when your team has a chance. .

Well, its been a little bit longer for us Bears fans if you let me say so hehehehe

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.