1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

LPGA to require players to speak English...

Discussion in 'General Golf Talk' started by TheWOAT, Aug 26, 2008.

1. JEFF4i

JEFF4i She lives! Supporting Member

Harry...you're an idiot.

At least my soapboxing is about clark's sexual preferences.

2. Eracer

Eracer No more triple bogies!!

Somehow I think meatloaf figures into that as well.

3. Harry Longshanks

Harry Longshanks bow-chicka-bow-wow

Pffffft!!!! Like I haven't heard that before.

Wait, what?

4. ClairefromClare

ClairefromClare Like my balls?

Well, the LPGA is putting the best spin on it possible; nothing we haven't collectively said for them: LPGA.com

It was still handled badly. Bivens is tone deaf.

5. Harry Longshanks

A link to this article was posted by a member on another site.
    Critics should take a mulligan in assessing LPGA policy - USATODAY.com

6. ClairefromClare

Like I said, the woman is tone deaf. Why didn't she lead with that?

7. Harry Longshanks

I'm guessing that the new policy was leaked after the meetings with the South Korean players, but before an official statement was prepared.

That, and the LPGA probably didn't want to admit how shaky their financial structure is. I mean, they are basically pimping out their players to keep the tour afloat. But the backlash forced them to disclose the information.

Bivens comes from a (successful) corporate background into a "company" with a ridiculous business model. She is making some major changes in attempt to convert the LPGA into a business that functions like the PGA. Except she also has to build the fan base, whereas the PGA has a built in fan base. Bivens wasn't brought in to be popular. She was brought in to turn around the administration of the LPGA, no?

Sponsors and torunaments were pissed with her first round of changes (because they suddenly had to pay their fair share), and now it's (some of) the player's turn to make some sacrifices. Sooner or later, I'm sure the American players will also have something to get upset about. I don't know whether Bivens will ultimately be successful, but I think what she is doing had to be done.

I'm also not sure the management of the LPGA is populated with the kind of "minds" Bivens is used to working with. I get the feeling that, in addition to fighting outside forces, she also has to deal with a significant amount of incompetency from within.

Anyway (and I don't know why), but I think she has the LPGA headed in the right direction. I just don't know if their are too many hurdles to overcome.

8. ClairefromClare

Good points, but they ought to have anticipated that word would leak out. That, and I'm an excellent corporate housecleaner. Hire me as COO and her job is done. :thumbs up:

9. soxngolf

soxngolf The Chick

Late to this party, but thought I would still chime in. Of course, by now I am sure you have heard that they are no longer going to suspend the players, too much outside pressure.

I understand both sides, but believe that the players learning English is important to the survival of the LPGA. The tour makes NO MONEY, NONE, ZIP. So if we want to continue to watch the LPGA they need to work on making more money. One of their major incomes is sponsor during the Pro-Ams. They aren't going to want to pay to play with someone they can't talk to.
    Plus, the LPGA makes a huge effort to help the players learn English. It isn't as if they just leave them to do it on their own. And they are only requiring a minor amount of conversational English, players don't have to be fluent. Wouldn't learning English be beneficial for these players anyway, since most of the tournaments are here in the US?

10. ClairefromClare

A couple of things I've read/heard lately added an interesting twist. The penalty thing apparently wasn't aimed at the young non-English speaking golfers so much as at their parents/handlers. Suggests--rightly or wrongly--where the organization thinks their obstacles lie.