• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

LPGA Tour: No Five-Year Exemption for Open Champion Sophia Popov

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States
A message from @LPGACommish Mike Whan ⬇️ pic.twitter.com/dthJSzq0jX
— LPGA (@LPGA) August 28, 2020

FIRST, A MAJOR WIN. THEN A MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT.

Mini-tour player Sophia Popov won't get a five-year exemption on the LPGA Tour for winning the AIG Women's Open at Royal Troon. Judging from media reports, seemingly everyone assumed the five-year tour exemption was one of the many rewards for her surprising victory.

But no.

LPGA Tour Commisioner Mike Whan explained the Popov situation in the above statement.

Nor will Popov be in the field for the next two majors: the ANA Inspiration in September and the U.S. Women's Open in December. Those fields were already set.

However, Popov does receive a five-year exemption into the majors. Her first major will be the KPMG Women's PGA Championship in October. It's confusing. I know.

Popov said, "I definitely got a little bit frustrated about the whole thing."

(That might be an understatement.)

Popov added that she felt deserving of the five-year LPGA Tour exemption but understands the rule and that it can't be changed for her.

Meanwhile, Whan said he will think about the rule in the offseason and whether an update makes sense.

(H/T Golfweek)

Source: LPGA Tour: No Five-Year Exemption for Open Champion Sophia Popov

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Isn't that kind of the beauty of an Open? Anyone can win and it doesn't mean you automatically become a pro and reap all the benefits.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
From what I read earlier, does not get 5 year exemption as she was not a tour member, but she is now eligible for tour events the rest of this year and next year. Kind of a rip off, but she will have a brief period of tour eligibility.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Didn't he say she gets a two year LPGA exemption? Just not a 5 year?

It may well be the case. My comment was based on the "news" statement as the original post.

From what I read earlier, does not get 5 year exemption as she was not a tour member, but she is now eligible for tour events the rest of this year and next year. Kind of a rip off, but she will have a brief period of tour eligibility.

Her story is inspirational. One year ago she considered walking away from the game. Qualified for the Open by virtue of a top 10 Symetra Tour finish or qualifier finish (?). Led the Open all 4 days to win. Boyfriend caddied for her. Pure joy following the final putt.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Her story is inspirational. One year ago she considered walking away from the game. Qualified for the Open by virtue of a top 10 Symetra Tour finish or qualifier finish (?). Led the Open all 4 days to win. Boyfriend caddied for her. Pure joy following the final putt.

She Qualified for the Open via the qualifying process. The kicker is that the only reason she got in the qualifier was that they could not fill all the slots due to the Covid 19 pandemic.

Quite literally an out of no where winner.

🔥 Latest posts