• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

March Madness 2014

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I wouldnt ask Steve Williams to read my putts. I am a good putter. I don't think your analogy works.

If I had picked Mercer to beat Duke people would have thought the same, but look what just happened. Same with a little college called Butler making the Final Four. Anybody can beat anybody if its one game.

It works...conflict of interests.

Anybody can beat anybody....why didn't you pick any of the 16 seeds?

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Yeah, just because Buffet has the cash to give it away doesn't make it smart move.
Well he did hedge the bet, the chances if getting a perfect bracket are nil. You have a better chance of hitting the lotto multiple times. It's not like flip a coin, if it lands on heads I'll give you a billion.

Also, fwiw he has made a pledge to give away most if his wealth at his death.

$1b represents like 1/25 of his wealth, enough to be felt but not enough to break him. Them throw in the Quicken sponsor and the fact that he probably bought insurance, he will probably be out very little.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
...And really, what chances are there that he actually gives away the billion.
We went over this... 1 in 9.2 quintillion (9,200,000,000,000,000,000) or 1 in 9.2 billion-billion.

Perspective: Take every single person on planet Earth. Now add another China. Now add another China on top of that. Now take that planet and replicate it a thousand times. Then replicate each of those a million times. Then take all those planets and replicate each of them a billion times.

That's a lot of crack whores.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
We went over this... 1 in 9.2 quintillion (9,200,000,000,000,000,000) or 1 in 9.2 billion-billion.

Perspective: Take every single person on planet Earth. Now add another China. Now add another China on top of that. Now take that planet and replicate it a thousand times. Then replicate each of those a million times. Then take all those planets and replicate each of them a billion times.

That's a lot of crack whores.
Is that on one of the pages earlier? I didn't read them all.

So, was it still a stupid bet on his part? All the media attention he has gotten over a bet he will never pay out?

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
What's the other option? Get buried with it? Burn it all?

Or did you mean give it all to charity?
Yeah, he's giving it away rather than passing it on to his family. He's passing on some, but most will go to charity. I think bill gates is doing the same.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Is that on one of the pages earlier? I didn't read them all.

So, was it still a stupid bet on his part? All the media attention he has gotten over a bet he will never pay out?

I think it was another thread...but yeah, basically it was a publicity stunt, nothing more. It would be the same if Tiger said he would give away a billion for anyone that gets 3 aces in one round of golf.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I think it was another thread...but yeah, basically it was a publicity stunt, nothing more. It would be the same if Tiger said he would give away a billion for anyone that gets 3 aces in one round of golf.
A buddy of mine made sports illustrated "faces in the crowd" one year. He aced the same hole in back to back rounds during a tournament. Had he aced it during the first day, he would have won $10k.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Fwiw my bracket was a series of dead guesses. I haven't paid close attention to college basketball in probably 10 years.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.