• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Martial Arts Anyone?

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
Are any of you fine fellows practicing any martial arts and if so which ones?

I know David Leadbetter likes Karate but personally I find it a little tame when it comes to defending yourself. Several years ago I got half decent at Thai Boxing and I'm about to start up again to regain some fitness as I think it is the most interesting and practical style to learn. Ju-Jitsu has also caught my eye due to the use of pressure point attacks but there are no schools anywhere near me otherwise I'd be giving that a go too.

OP
EnglishGolfer

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
What was I thinking with this post? I've seen your pics that you have posted on here and I should have known that you lot don't bother with exercise ;)

ironman

Sep 2, 2006
Hapkido

Hapkido blends elements of "fighting" TaeKwonDo Kara-Te and Jujitsu. Our TaeKwonDo is influced from Okinawa, as Pinan Kata's our foundation. Our view is to learn traditional martial arts, then do martial sports: our school has male and female champions in kickboxing, point karate, & wtf taekwondo

There's a difference in martial sports (playing fun and painful games of tag, knockdown, and trophies) vs. martial arts (life, death, and health) -- physically, there's much overlap.

Martial Arts and its instructors and fellow students can introduce to a man or a woman some fighting "technology" (skill sets), but does little effectiveness with out physical condidtioning (flexibility, endurance, strength) and mental conditioning (judgement, tenacity, restraint, decisiveness, etc).

We can teach someone fighting or "sef-defense" skills and perhaps show the Way, but the "fight" needs to be in or developed by the student.

It's a matter of degree: one improves.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
OP
EnglishGolfer

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
I've read about the vast difference between Okinawan Karate and the pap they fob students in the west off with. The original form is deadly whereas the watered down version that gets taught in England for example is of very little use other than exercise.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
There's only a few good schools left that teach the real stuff. We ran our class exactly as the ones in the old Okinawan dojo's. We had to speak Japanese and count in Japanese for most of the class. The dojo was set up exactly like those in Okinawa. My teacher studied under the old masters in Okinawa when he was in the Marines and is one amazing man. 5'6" tall and 150 lbs. soaking wet. Not a man I know of (including all these movie bozo's) that he couldn't beat. We saw him take apart a 6'5", 280 lb. smart ass construction guy in all of 45 seconds. The guy was helped away by his two friends.

If you want to see why the new stuff doesn't work look at the karate tourneys on ESPN. Watch the young guys do their flying around "katas" or "forms" and then watch a real kata. It's a total joke. A bunch of meaningless bull***t!!

ironman

Sep 2, 2006
Personally

There a lot of lousy karate sold in "Mac' Dojos"
And good thing most people do not learn how to shoot straight either

smileyrose

Aug 17, 2006
Sumo Wrestlers

I recently watched a little sumo wrestling. I'm unsure if this is considered as martial arts, but there seemed to be an awful lot of eye contact and hugging going on, hehe, and those dishy sumos seem to get really friendly with each other. :) Pssst, they seem to wear very little too! :D

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Sumo wrestling is NOT martial arts. They just bump into each other or sit on each other. Real martial arts are only meant to kill or maim. They're not meant for "tournaments" or "games". It's very serious stuff. That's why people that know the real stuff don't go starting fights. I don't particularily want to kill someone with my hands unless it was in self defense or to protect my family.

ironman

Sep 2, 2006
SmileyRose, please do not play with his...
Somebody might have too much fun scoring a "68" on the course.

btw, there's double meaning to "scoring a '68'" hint: think of what one could gift to another....

🔥 Latest posts