• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Meeting Trick-Shot Artist Wedgy Winchester

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States
I MET LARRY "WEDGY" WINCHESTER IN JUNE in Seaside, Oregon, where he and his wife run a small inn. Not only did my wife and I happen to stay there, but I learned that Wedgy has quite an interesting history as a golf professional, traveling the world as a trick-shot artist.

This talented fellow also won the 1984 Long Drive Championship -- with a 60-inch driver! Wedgy's winning drive measured 319 yards, 14 inches. (Read the story in the New York Times.)

The below photo of Wedgy and me was taken at Gearheart Golf Links. I watched Wedgy tee off and he striped it down the middle of the 1st fairway. I had several great conversations with Wedgy during my stay on the Oregon Coast.

If you're in the area, look him up. Wedgy is a nice man and a terrific golf ambassador.

Wedgy and yours truly in Gearheart.​

Source: Meeting Trick-Shot Artist Wedgy Winchester

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Holy crap!

Remember this?

When I was in AZ junior golf (mid 1980s, I was probably 13 or 14 at the time) we were once treated to a trick-shot artist show by a guy named "Wedgie" Winchester. After his show I got to play 9 with him and the local pro, with all the junior golfers following us like a pro event. I shot 39 to tie Wedgie and beat the pro by one shot. :D

Soon thereafter, Wedgie suffered a major stroke. The next year (ultimately his last for my junior golf program) his show was very limited and he had difficulty speaking. It was sad.

Fast forward to last week. I just found out that he's a "local" 'round these parts and is still playing! He played in a hickory tournament (which I would LOVE to do) and then treated everyone to a trick shot show. I honestly thought he had died a long time ago!

The world is a small place and I'm glad to see he's still doin' it. :cool:

:cool::cool::cool::):):)

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Just looked it up, it's called the Custer House and it's in Seaside, Oregon. I've been to Seaside a hundred times, it's our favorite city on the coast!

🔥 Latest posts