• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Might as well have a COVID-19 thread

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States
Presently, New York has almost the same number of cases as all of Germany, and unfortunately almost twice as many dead.

A good friend of mine and his girlfriend both have it. I think I am just now starting to realize how truly devastating this is going to be.

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
And just like that, my friend's drummer is dead from covid. Ugh.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
18th death in my country reported. Woman in 80s died in hospital. Contracted the disease overseas. The stats are that most sufferers over here have picked it up overseas.

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Presently, New York has almost the same number of cases as all of Germany, and unfortunately almost twice as many dead.

A good friend of mine and his girlfriend both have it. I think I am just now starting to realize how truly devastating this is going to be.
I posted that 35 minutes ago. In that time 250 more people died in NY alone.

God help us

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
No matter who you are or where you’re from. I hope everyone is doing their part to stay safe through all this and to stop the spread!! It’s scary whats going on, it really is. Stay safe everybody!

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
No matter who you are or where you’re from. I hope everyone is doing their part to stay safe through all this and to stop the spread!! It’s scary whats going on, it really is. Stay safe everybody!

I think we are just now starting to realize, as a country, how serious this is and is going to get. Well some of us anyway. I still have customers calling and wanting a face to face meeting and not being happy when I tell them sorry, we can chat on the phone or you can apply via online...wtf turn on the news.

This is like the stuff you see in movies. Truly scary.

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
I'm at the point where I'm afraid to touch the fuking mail. Cool world we've created here.

...wtf turn on the news.
My coworker's wife is one of the nurses doing covid testing and triage. She said the amount of stuff that is going on in hospitals that isn't getting covered is mind blowing. Most of us don't have a clue how bad it really is and how much worse it's going to get.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I was at home last week isolating with a sore throat and a bit of a temperature. By Wednesday I felt better. Back at work on Monday. Did I have it? Probably not, but who knows. This shit got real when I saw Italy and Spain. God help them. The UK and Ireland are bracing for the next two weeks when they expect a peak. It doubles every three days. Predictions of 20k deaths.
I think the US is still in its infancy, NY aside. It seems to be moving in a wave from East to West. Right now, it’s the front line staff that are getting hammered. 1 in 4 doctors either have it or are in isolation. The world has gone nuts!
Keep washing your hands, stay at home if you can and ride this one out.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I'm at the point where I'm afraid to touch the fuking mail. Cool world we've created here.

My coworker's wife is one of the nurses doing covid testing and triage. She said the amount of stuff that is going on in hospitals that isn't getting covered is mind blowing. Most of us don't have a clue how bad it really is and how much worse it's going to get.
The 17 year old granddaughter has been working 10, 11, 12 days straight at a local nursing home. She's a junior in high school, but schools were closed in our state. When a scheduled day off comes around, she gets called in because other staff aren't showing up. Says the residents are confined to their rooms and no visitors allowed. So, she feels committed to help them as much as she can.
The don't have masks enough. She has to wear her mask day after day. Says it gets really gross. But... better than nothing. Just so difficult to understand why people area allowed to have a basement full of PPE they hoarded while the nurses and medical staff either go without or have to reuse... and reuse... and reuse. Oh, her thoughts... "I will be there even though it takes all my time if I can give even one of them a little more time."

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
The 17 year old granddaughter has been working 10, 11, 12 days straight at a local nursing home. She's a junior in high school, but schools were closed in our state. When a scheduled day off comes around, she gets called in because other staff aren't showing up. Says the residents are confined to their rooms and no visitors allowed. So, she feels committed to help them as much as she can.
The don't have masks enough. She has to wear her mask day after day. Says it gets really gross. But... better than nothing. Just so difficult to understand why people area allowed to have a basement full of PPE they hoarded while the nurses and medical staff either go without or have to reuse... and reuse... and reuse. Oh, her thoughts... "I will be there even though it takes all my time if I can give even one of them a little more time."

First, there's VERY FEW people that have hoarded these medical supplies to any real useful large scale degree. It would take a warehouse sized space to even remotely hoard enough masks to make a dent.

Second - these dust masks won't keep you from getting sick. It's more useful for someone that is already sick to keep from getting others sick, but that only works if they're constantly washing their hands, and they shouldn't be out and about working/socializing/etc anyway. They're really more of a feel good measure most of the time IMO.

But...I'll go on a limp sized rant here because I've heard this sentiment numerous times lately.

Because freedom.

(Seemingly) Unpopular opinion here, but just because someone else (or lots of people) didn't properly prepare themselves doesn't mean we should villainize those that did. Assuming they acquired their stash legally I don't personally think they should be stripped of it nor should they be publicly chastised for it. On the contrary, they should be praised for their prior thought and not leaning on others or the government for their own survival. I'm not saying that because I'm prepared. I'm prepared because I thought that way before I was prepared and that forced me to live in a way in which I could prepare myself.

I've prepared my family to be able to literally(assuming the city water/sewer/natural gas stays on) live inside our house for 4-6 months. If those utilities fail, I have a back up, more long term, plan. Literally all of our essentials are handled for 6ish months acquired slowly over years(yes, medical supplies are part of it). It's not going to be fun, it will suck, but we COULD do it. Plenty of people would consider that hoarding. I consider it common sense. If even 25% of Americans had this, the run on TP probably wouldn't have happened. Instead, they're living in houses, driving cars, taking vacations, eating at restaurants, etc etc etc that they can't truly afford and then blaming it on the rich keeping them down when they can't make it two weeks between paychecks. Zero sense of personal responsibility.

Lets say you prepared for a specific situation and it occurs, and then because of someone else's lack of preparation, you're forced to give up yours. Are you OK with that? You willing to put your family's survival at risk because someone else failed to? Are you OK with setting that precedent? I'm not.

I'm not a heartless bastard. I don't like to toot my own horn, but I've helped numerous people down on their luck. I'm a very lucky man to be where I am and I appreciate it. But punishing those self reliant people that prepare for the bad times during the good times and rewarding those that do not is extremely foolish and a dangerous long term precedent.

Thank your granddaughter for her work. Fantastic that she has a great work ethic.

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Second - these dust masks won't keep you from getting sick. It's more useful for someone that is already sick to keep from getting others sick, but that only works if they're constantly washing their hands, and they shouldn't be out and about working/socializing/etc anyway. They're really more of a feel good measure most of the time IMO.
I am not a doctor, virologist, scientist, etc. but I would tend to agree here.

Lets say you prepared for a specific situation and it occurs, and then because of someone else's lack of preparation, you're forced to give up yours. Are you OK with that? You willing to put your family's survival at risk because someone else failed to? Are you OK with setting that precedent? I'm not.
I haven't heard of anyone being forced to give up anything. And I don't think anyone here is saying that.

Thank your granddaughter for her work. Fantastic that she has a great work ethic.
Absolutely agree!

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
First, there's VERY FEW people that have hoarded these medical supplies to any real useful large scale degree. It would take a warehouse sized space to even remotely hoard enough masks to make a dent.

But...I'll go on a limp sized rant here because I've heard this sentiment numerous times lately.

Because freedom.

(Seemingly) Unpopular opinion here, but just because someone else (or lots of people) didn't properly prepare themselves doesn't mean we should villainize those that did. Assuming they acquired their stash legally I don't personally think they should be stripped of it nor should they be publicly chastised for it. On the contrary, they should be praised for their prior thought and not leaning on others or the government for their own survival. I'm not saying that because I'm prepared. I'm prepared because I thought that way before I was prepared and that forced me to live in a way in which I could prepare myself.

I've prepared my family to be able to literally(assuming the city water/sewer/natural gas stays on) live inside our house for 4-6 months. If those utilities fail, I have a back up, more long term, plan. Literally all of our essentials are handled for 6ish months acquired slowly over years(yes, medical supplies are part of it). It's not going to be fun, it will suck, but we COULD do it. Plenty of people would consider that hoarding. I consider it common sense. If even 25% of Americans had this, the run on TP probably wouldn't have happened. Instead, they're living in houses, driving cars, taking vacations, eating at restaurants, etc etc etc that they can't truly afford and then blaming it on the rich keeping them down when they can't make it two weeks between paychecks. Zero sense of personal responsibility.

I'm not a heartless bastard. I don't like to toot my own horn, but I've helped numerous people down on their luck. I'm a very lucky man to be where I am and I appreciate it. But punishing those self reliant people that prepare for the bad times during the good times and rewarding those that do not is extremely foolish and a dangerous long term precedent.

If I run out, you're either sending me tp or letting me move in.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I haven't heard of anyone being forced to give up anything. And I don't think anyone here is saying that.

So the big one was the guy in, I believe, Tennessee that had his entire garage filled with hand sanitizer bottles. I believe the number the media was throwing around was 18,000 bottles of the stuff. Even at that level, it's a drop in the bucket compared to how much hand sanitizer a hospital goes through in a day. Let alone multiple.

Now, this was a bit different as he was quoted as basically saying he bought it all as an investment and intended on selling it for a profit when demand went up. It wasn't for personal use...however, he was essentially forced into donating it.

But I've been hearing the 'take from the rich, give to the poor sentiment a LOT lately. Like, they want it to be illegal to 'hoard' things. As in, if it's found out that you have more than you 'need' the government should forcefully take it and give it to those 'in need'. And when asked how much of something a person should be able to have, it's some arbitrary number they come up with based on their own bias which is a great way to legislate 'need'. Or they say 'common sense', well, that's arbitrary as well.

But when limp said, 'hard to understand why it's allowed' as to say we shouldn't be allowed to 'hoard' things. Which essentially is a call for legislation that would stop this hoarding.

🔥 Latest posts