• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Might as well have a COVID-19 thread

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States
But when limp said, 'hard to understand why it's allowed' as to say we shouldn't be allowed to 'hoard' things. Which essentially is a call for legislation that would stop this hoarding.
I see your point. But let me ask you this: what if that were your daughter, or wife out there working the front lines with inadequate PPE? Would you tell her "tough shit, shoulda hoarded PPE"?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I see your point. But let me ask you this: what if that were your daughter, or wife out there working the front lines with inadequate PPE? Would you tell her "tough shit, should hoarded PPE"?
I would do for her what I could, but I wouldn't be calling for the theft of someone else's property.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
To those who have purchased items, legally, for long term protection of family and property... they are the wise ones and should NOT be penalized for planning ahead. My goodness. I have kidded my wife for years that we could live out of our pantry for two to three months if the grocery stores shut down. I do take issue with those who hoard medical supplies during a crisis for the sole purpose of gouging. They should, IMHO, be penalized similarly to a business that gouges during such and event.
Read where Menard's was gouging in Wisconsin or Michigan and the State AG threatened legal action. Retail prices of N95 masks, bleach, etc. was increased by 3 times. When 911 hit, we had a local gas retailer begin charging $7/gallon for gasoline an hour after the planes hit the towers. He paid a heavy fine, but is still in business. Toilet paper??? Doesn't bother me. We have socks, washcloths, and a shower. Heck! I grew up using the Spiegel, Montgomery Ward, and Sears Roebuck catalogs as toilet paper. Neighbors used corn cobs. Hand sanitizer? Make your own or just wash your hands. Disinfectant wipes? Us alcohol on dryer sheets. Hoard what you want of those type items. OTOH, medical items that hospitals and nursing homes need for their own staff... again in my opinion... should not be hoarded. Most of this responsibility lies with the retailers. Limits should have been put on these items early on.
We are where we are. So many lessons will be learned from this experience. Some folks will be better prepared... some won't. Some medical facilities will be better prepared... some won't. Some folks will learn ways to survive with what they have. Others will continue to stand there with their hand out.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Random thought: I want to go postal when I read a keyboard warrior say, "If you don't stay home, you must want to kill the elderly."

In my state (in Australia) the health authorities have clarified that golf courses may be open as long as:
  • Two person tee groups only
  • One person per cart
  • Arrive no earlier than 15 minutes before the round
  • No use of the practice putting green
  • No congregating post-round
  • Leave the course following completion of the round.
My golf club has been closed for a week and a half now by decision of the board. The board has taken a very conservative view to the situation. I sense that when this blows over there will be a lot of angry members if there's not some extension or compensation to their membership. I see a problem there b/c the club will be bleeding money during the closure. Plenty of golf clubs have reopened following clarification of the restriction by the health authorities.

What do you think; should the golf club compensate the members for the component when it was closed?

Last edited:

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Random thought: I want to go postal when I read a keyboard warrior say, "If you don't stay home, you must want to kill the elderly."

In my state (in Australia) the health authorities have clarified that golf courses may be open as long as:
  • One person per cart
My golf club has been closed for a week and a half now by decision of the board. The board has taken a very conservative view to the situation. I sense that when this blows over there will be a lot of angry members if there's not some extension or compensation to their membership. I see a problem there b/c the club will be bleeding money during the closure. Plenty of golf clubs have reopened following clarification of the restriction by the health authorities.

What do you think; should the golf club compensate the members for the component when it was closed?

Seems fair, but my guess it will not happen because they can't afford it.

My Amateur Tour is still playing on the courses that are still open, but have reduced the field size by about 2/3, presumably so only 1 player per cart.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country

• One person per cart

Courses across the globe may have to deal with this issue. Difficult for us to do, so far, as a blanket statement. The university in our town shut down. So, students returned to their homes many miles away. We had two university students who asked to suspend their membership until they return in the fall. Both were on monthly pay so we stopped the billing to their credit cards and will resume billing when they return. If we have to completely lock our doors, we will need to address how to handle the total membership issue.
There are a number of things to consider. I feel a number of our members will "donate" the unused portion of their membership for the good of the course. Others will want a refund. If I were to guess, I would assume we would offer a discount on their 2021 membership based on the time we are closed.
We sit in an excellent position compared to most courses. In 1993, out course completely flooded and was closed for one full year. Some staff worked that year without taking a salary. Members volunteered long hours to do what they could in resurrecting the course. From that lesson, the course began building cash reserves in case something like 1993 happened again. When we had our emergency Board meeting a week ago, we did an in-depth review of the "what if's". If we locked the doors today, we could pay our staff salaries, utilities, cart leases, etc. for about 90 days from those cash reserves. As a small business, we would qualify for a forgivable SBA loan that would compensate us for all salaries and utilities paid during the shutdown.
Our local country club is upside down in heavy debt. If they are forced to close and many more members flee, they will not survive. The upscale course in town is also very cash poor. They have had to beg donors for money more than once. I would assume they could dig themselves out, but no guarantees.
They are now predicting we will see over 100,000 deaths in the U.S. before this ends. Honestly, I think it's just a matter of time before the golf courses are locked down. Courses will have to weigh what is fair to their membership vs. what they can actually do with the cash on hand. There will be a lot of angry members who will leave the course they currently belong to... or even leave the game of golf. Other courses will work with their membership as best they can, in hopes the membership retention can keep them operating when this pandemic subsides.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I honestly think that golf, like all other sports, needs to take a back seat for a few months until this thing blows over. We need to accept this. There are no exceptions. If you don't have Covid-19 yet in your neighborhood, you will soon. And when it comes it will bring devastation. It is nasty because it is invisible. It does not discriminate, anyone is susceptible. And although it seems to target the elderly male population with underlying health issues (ie us lot), anyone is on the radar.

Lots of people are going to lose their jobs, businesses etc. in the next few months. So will golf courses. We may go through a depression, but the quicker we accept the fact that our daily lives need to change, the quicker we can address this global pandemic. The economy will suffer. Golf will suffer. They will bounce back. But we will save lives by following guidelines. This thing is going to kill hundreds of thousands, maybe even a million in the next 3-6 months. But the positive is that we are getting glimpses of how to protect ourselves and how to stay safe.

Golf is my thing and I have to confess it is tough to think that I won't be able to play for a few more months. But my family is my all. I'm prepared to do what it takes to protect them.

Last edited:

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Lost a friend of my wife's family to this yesterday. Took him off life support to let him pass. When this is all said and done all of will be able to say they know someone who died from this.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Seems fair, but my guess it will not happen because they can't afford it.

My Amateur Tour is still playing on the courses that are still open, but have reduced the field size by about 2/3, presumably so only 1 player per cart.
Well, they cancelled the whole thing today.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
0106.jpg

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
My country seems to be 'fortunate' if you can put it that way. We're under tight restrictions and our death toll sits at 23. Our national border is closed. Our state borders are closed. The latest commentary is that the restrictions will probably be in place at least until December, because a vaccine is not likely until 2021.

There have been examples of overreach by a couple of state governments with their restrictions that have proved embarrassing for them. They've had to back down when an outcry occurred.

The people shrieking & lecturing on social media to "stay the f*ck home" would have no idea what it's like for those who are cooped up in a studio/one-bedroom apartment for the next 9 or so months. A significant number of people are now working from home. Stuck inside almost 24/7. Protecting mental health is a real issue. The game of golf, as a low risk physical outlet, has come into its own.

I've not seen a more valid comment on social media than this one:

qcmp73vi31q41.jpg

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.