• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Mike Austin Swing

vuhnan

Jul 26, 2007
I have recently been in the process of making some alterations to my swing (as I usually am). From what I've read, the "Mike Austin swing" supposedly increases clubhead speed (and therefore distance), but also increases accuracy. One actually has to pay for this "secret," and that is clearly not happening, but I was wondering what your feelings are about this technique.

If you arent familiar with this swing, there is a brief desciption and frame-by-frame breakdown on wikipedia under "Mike Austin Swing". I would give you the link, but it wont let me because I am new to this site.

I haven't dramatically changed by swing to be very similar to his, however, I believe that he may have been onto something with the movement of the hips. I realized that I was arm-swinging, and the rest of my body wasn't really doing a whole lot.

Anyway, I went golfing today and I made a conscious effort to utilize my lower body for more power, and it definitely made quite a difference, as I noticed an increase in distance and clubhead speed. I hit a few bombs with my driver, FW woods, and hybrid 3, but as the day went on, those clubs began hooking quite drastically. My irons were all pretty good, which is surprising because I generally struggle with my long irons.

Do any of you know of any reason why more hip movement would create a hook on my long clubs? And, does anyone have an opinion on this technique (positive or negative)? Has anyone ever seen it or tried it? Thanks!

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
I don't know anything about Mike Austin or his swing but I do know a lot about hooking the snot out of the ball. If you are trying to power your swing with your lower body and let your arms take over, it's going to be hook city. You said that you were an "arm swinger". If you couple that with fast rotating hips you will continue to hit hooks. You can't have two masters so the arms are going to have to be "passive" to not hook the ball if you are rotating the body hard. Forget about the arms and focus on the body turn.

jaacobbowden

Jaacob
Dec 4, 2007
Hey vuhnan, I actually trained under Mike before he died...and also under Dan Shauger - his good friend of 20+ years. I can't link yet either because I'm new, but search for Jaacob Bowden on youtube.com and you'll find my swing.

I don't think that Mike Austin's swing (or any other swing for that matter) can really have a 'dramatic' difference on your swing speed. I've tried a multitude of methods...and although I hit the ball better with some vs. others, my swing speed was always about the same no matter which one I used. To really increase your swing speed, you have to train to do it. In fact, my Swing Man Golf website was built around the idea of swing speed training.

Beyond that, I believe the major benefits to Mike's swing are the improved ball-striking and a more efficient use of the body. Mike kept the upper part of his spine (his swing circle center as you'll hear it referred to) still while his legs moved the lower part of his spine back and through. Keeping your head as still as your flexibility allows helps keep the swing circle center (the point where shoulders, neck, and spine intersect) still while you shift your weight...and makes it easier to ground the club in the same spot every time. Power is generated from the legs through natural body leverage vs twisting violently around your spine (which it isn't really made to do).

Accuracy-wise, there is benefit too...but it depends on who you learn from. In the old days, Mike used a rolling type hand/blade action. After his stroke (and after all his videos came out), he started advocating a counter-rotating hand action that kept the blade squarer longer through the hitting zone. Unfortunately, most people don't know this...so out on the blogs you'll see some Mike vs. Dan hand-action (Dan teaches the counter-rotating action).

Are your hooks starting out straight and then hooking? Or are they pull hooks? In either case, a hook means the blade was closed at impact. You could just try weakening your grip a little bit.

Jaacob

jij

Mar 10, 2009
I don't think that Mike Austin's swing (or any other swing for that matter) can really have a 'dramatic' difference on your swing speed.
It did make a dramatic difference for me. I now get another 30 yards or so on the drive.

I started watching clips of Mike Austin on YouTube and became curious if there was anything in it. I've only changed my swing 2 weeks ago, but the results are amazing.
There's a few major things in it, for me at least:

1) as you say, moving the hips back and then forward+rotate: I always used to keep the hips quiet during the backswing (just performing the 'squat' with the right hip) and then rotate the hips forward to the ball during the downswing and impact. Thinking about the physics of it, there is no way the head can stay still this way. But if you get the hips moving back and then forward it counteracts the swing so that the head can stay completely still. This makes hitting the ball in the centre of the club face much much easier.

2)If you leave the left arm straight across the upper body at the top of the back swing, you can use the pendulum-like motion of the spine to push the left shoulder forward and up to start the downswing. This seems to be where the power comes from, I think. You don't need to use the arms at the start. It's driven from the legs through the hips to shoulders. After it's started that way you seem to hit inside-to-outside very naturally. And the extra swing speed is tremendous, and you don't seem to use much effort.
As the hips come forward the body naturally change from a '(' shape into a ')' shape, to power through the ball, with the head not moving, while releasing huge amounts of power I never knew I had. It feels revolutionary.

3) Getting rid of the rolling hands is also a big improved to accuracy and distance. I've no idea why anyone would teach this. If the impact is 1/100th of second too early or late and the club will be either open or closed. Much better to keep it in line as long as possible.
To imagine the club swinging this way - like a door hinge - is much more intuitive for me. It feels weird on the back swing for a while, but you get used to it. And it gives a lot more snap to the release.

Jaacob, thanks for all you efforts to publicise this swing, it's helped me a lot so far, and it's only 2 weeks in. So far I've only read "How to Kill the Ball", and the e-book. Still haven't mastered the twirling of the club. Working on that.
As you can tell I can say enough about the Mike Austin method. I will not be going back. And no problems with hooking. Didn't Mike Austin have a slight fade?

jaacobbowden

Jaacob
Dec 4, 2007
Glad to hear you've had success. :)

I don't recall what type of ball flight Austin typically had...Dan Shauger would be good to ask, though. He new Mike for over 20+ years and would caddy for him sometimes.

If you want more info about the Austin/Shauger stuff, send me an email and I'll give you some links.

AustinFan

Jun 6, 2010
Mike was an amazing instructor.
His swing method resulted in very straight and powerful hits. I would get an earful if one when a little left or right.
FYI, here's what my swing under Mike's tutelage looks like.
Best
YouTube - Mike Austin Golf Swing

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
I tried it this spring and I just couldn't get it down. It looks the same to the eye, but it definitely is not.

I bought a couple of the books, but I just couldn't get it.

This thread is hilarious that it pops up every other year with yet another spam link.

What did Sling do to get so many SPAM posts here at ST when I hardly ever see any at WRX or FGI? It isn't like ShotTalk is spam-friendly for sure.

AustinFan

Jun 6, 2010
Hmmm. Interesting.
I thought this was a thread where people wanted to discuss the Austin swing.
Personally, I have sat back for the last 5 years in dismay listening to people argue what over his method.
I had flown cross-county for years and spent hundreds of hours with the man.
What was funny was that the gurus had never met the man or met him only when his health limited his golf discussions to his living room. The swing really is amazing it that it provides great distance and accuracy without much effort and without any strain or pain.
If people really want to discuss the swing, I'll be glad to provide some insights.
Best.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Hmmm. Interesting.
I thought this was a thread where people wanted to discuss the Austin swing.
Personally, I have sat back for the last 5 years in dismay listening to people argue what over his method.
I had flown cross-county for years and spent hundreds of hours with the man.
What was funny was that the gurus had never met the man or met him only when his health limited his golf discussions to his living room. The swing really is amazing it that it provides great distance and accuracy without much effort and without any strain or pain.
If people really want to discuss the swing, I'll be glad to provide some insights.
Best.

You go right ahead. Just don't violate any forum rules.

We're always watching. :)

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
Throw them out there, AustinFan. I'd love to hear them. Assuming you don't immediately try to sell me something along with it.

AustinFan

Jun 6, 2010
Thanks for the support.
(Sorry, didn't mean to violate any rules. I attached my swing to reveal the swing and Mike's actual comments. To me, it's like getting a glimpse of how Babe Ruth would have given a hitting lesson. Most people never got to meet the man in person and some of his comments really revealed his character and passion. Here was a man with a paralyzed right arm and substantially paralyzed right leg giving lessons well into his late 80's and early 90's. Also, despite the fact that there's a lot of discussion on the net, few have even seen swings that he developed with regular golfers. Fortunately, some have had the privilege of seeing the tremendous swing of Mike Dunaway.)

Anyway, what was incredible about Mike was how intelligent and passionate he was. His was not your typical let me see you take some swings, make some suggestions and pat you on the back deal. Allegations that he was cryptic to the contrary, Mike pushed and pulled you with one arm. His command over how the body functioned allowed him to move you into a certain position or render it impossible to move in others with one hand. He didn't force it on people, but in a moment's notice he would spot some medical and/or engineering principle to back up his teaching.

Despite his limited mobility, he would suddenly bolt up and give you a tongue lashing fit for the ages. The entire range would turn quiet. I remember him turning to one student and say, "Now, just because I yell doesn't mean I'm mad [At which point that entire section of the range broke up in laughter]. It's because I am trying to get your attention!" There was truly a method in his "madness". I can still hear his voice ringing in my ears when I practice despite the passage of at least 7 years.

Virtually everything he taught was contrary to the accepted technique. He strongly disagreed with everything that PGA instruction preached as he thought the motions contrary (and harmful) to how the body was designed to move.

295yards

May 5, 2009
Thanks for the support.
(Sorry, didn't mean to violate any rules. I attached my swing to reveal the swing and Mike's actual comments. To me, it's like getting a glimpse of how Babe Ruth would have given a hitting lesson. Most people never got to meet the man in person and some of his comments really revealed his character and passion. Here was a man with a paralyzed right arm and substantially paralyzed right leg giving lessons well into his late 80's and early 90's. Also, despite the fact that there's a lot of discussion on the net, few have even seen swings that he developed with regular golfers. Fortunately, some have had the privilege of seeing the tremendous swing of Mike Dunaway.)

Anyway, what was incredible about Mike was how intelligent and passionate he was. His was not your typical let me see you take some swings, make some suggestions and pat you on the back deal. Allegations that he was cryptic to the contrary, Mike pushed and pulled you with one arm. His command over how the body functioned allowed him to move you into a certain position or render it impossible to move in others with one hand. He didn't force it on people, but in a moment's notice he would spot some medical and/or engineering principle to back up his teaching.

Despite his limited mobility, he would suddenly bolt up and give you a tongue lashing fit for the ages. The entire range would turn quiet. I remember him turning to one student and say, "Now, just because I yell doesn't mean I'm mad [At which point that entire section of the range broke up in laughter]. It's because I am trying to get your attention!" There was truly a method in his "madness". I can still hear his voice ringing in my ears when I practice despite the passage of at least 7 years.

Virtually everything he taught was contrary to the accepted technique. He strongly disagreed with everything that PGA instruction preached as he thought the motions contrary (and harmful) to how the body was designed to move.

Is there a distinguishable difference between what Mike Austin and Mike Dunaway are promoting?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.