• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Minimalist golfers?

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
United States United States
I did a search and only saw the short minimalist discussion in the Dawn Golf thread. I can't post my sig until tomorrow (new member) but my PING Moonlite bag carries a K15 driver, K15 5W, Acer 5H, PING 7i, 9i, SW and a PING B60 putter. I have found that I can shoot to my 11 handicap with these 7 stix as well as a I can with 14. The bag weighs "nothing", the grips don't get tangled, and I enjoy the added challenge of covering large loft gaps with creative shots. When we are cart path only, I grab the entire bag and walk in to the shot and then the green. On some rounds, I just ride in a cart with the bag between my knees and hop out at my ball and then walk in to the green. The simplistic approach - I get more excercise too, but there are only a few venues here that let me walk.

Are there any/many "keep it simple" folks in here?

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
I would say I am somewhere in the middle. I do not make an effort to reduce the number of clubs in my bag to as few as possible but I rarely/never have 14 clubs in my bag.

When I walk a course that I have played many times, I take out all that I feel I can spare. My usual walking bag is probably 8 to 10 clubs depending on the course.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Like I mentioned in the other thread my minimalist setup is 8 clubs: D, 5w, 5h, 6i, 8i, pw, sw, p. This is what I went with when I walked. Didn't really miss any clubs and my scoring was much different. I now have a new push cart so I don't expect to go minimalist very often any more.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
My last 5 games of golf: Driver, 3H, 5i, 7i, 9i, GW, SW, putter. I could probably lose one of the wedges to be honest but I love them both dearly!!

I have a very light stand bag, with little storage and carry on a few balls and tees, as well as a drink. At this time of year on a shortened course, it makes zero difference to my scoring and it is very enjoyable to walk carrying an ultralight bag. Like the OP said I like hitting creative shots, hitting a low raking hook to make up a few yards or a 3/4 swing to take them off.

During the 1936 Walker Cup Matches Lawson Little was reported to have 31 clubs in his golf bag!! And yet one of the best golfers in his day, Ted Ray, who won both the Open (1912) and US Open (1920) only carried about 6 clubs in his bag.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Not a "minimalist"... I'm a "maximumist". As old as I am, I start out hitting the driver about 150 yards. Then, use my other 13 clubs to work my way in to the green... yard by yard... foot by foot... inch by inch.:D (I woulda said meter by meter to accomodate some of our overseas members. But, I so old I forgot how to covert yards to meter.)

Over the years, I've tried to go "minimalist". If I were still walking the course, would probably do so. Where we've got our own cart, I see no reason to carry less than the allowed 14. I could probably go driver, 5 wood, 4 hybrid 5, 7, 9, and putter and score as well as I do with the full 14. I just seem to use most of them somewhere along the way... and, they look good in the bag. It is all about how good the bag looks, isn't it???

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I like to prove how strong I am so I carry 14 clubs, sometimes more when I wanna muck around for a bit.
And about 30 balls in the bag too so it's definitely gets heavy.
But I've been doing that for so long now it just seems normal.
I picked up a mates bag the other day and couldn't believe how light it was.
But that's just me.

OP
PaPaD

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
Not a "minimalist"... I'm a "maximumist". As old as I am, I start out hitting the driver about 150 yards. Then, use my other 13 clubs to work my way in to the green... yard by yard... foot by foot... inch by inch.:D (I woulda said meter by meter to accomodate some of our overseas members. But, I so old I forgot how to covert yards to meter.)

Over the years, I've tried to go "minimalist". If I were still walking the course, would probably do so. Where we've got our own cart, I see no reason to carry less than the allowed 14. I could probably go driver, 5 wood, 4 hybrid 5, 7, 9, and putter and score as well as I do with the full 14. I just seem to use most of them somewhere along the way... and, they look good in the bag. It is all about how good the bag looks, isn't it???

Love your wedges! :)

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
2011-01-12 003.JPG
Love your wedges! :)
I have the entire set of Eye 2+ BeCu's. Have reluctantly "retired" everything except the wedges. Been looking at replacements for them this winter and about ready to pull the string on a couple new ones. I just am always concerned about someone "lifting" one of the BeCu's out of the bag... or my old mind leaving one behind. Here's an old photo of my bag when I was still carrying the BeCu's.

OP
PaPaD

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
View attachment 25586
I have the entire set of Eye 2+ BeCu's. Have reluctantly "retired" everything except the wedges. Been looking at replacements for them this winter and about ready to pull the string on a couple new ones. I just am always concerned about someone "lifting" one of the BeCu's out of the bag... or my old mind leaving one behind. Here's an old photo of my bag when I was still carrying the BeCu's.

Sweet stix! I have a nice set of the legendary EYE 2 +no+ (stainless steel - pictured here) with stock ZZ Lite in R 4-W and my 2 gaming bags have an Eye 2 SW and the other is an Eye 2+ SW (picture here).

20141229_154212_zpsyuqcj3ze.jpg

🔥 Latest posts