• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Mizuno MX-20

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
Ever win something on eBay kind of by accident, because the price is low and its ending in 2 minutes when you happen across it so you throw in a bid that's just a couple of dollars higher for the hell of it? Yeah, me too. I have a set of MX-20s on the way. I've wanted some since I first started playing, so I guess it's okay. I hope that "Mizuno feel" BS isn't really BS :cool:

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
What was the winning bid?
We all have the ones that got away, that club (or in this case set) that you totally regret getting rid of. Well, the MX20s are that set for me. Every now again I'll make a push for them on the 'bay. I came damn close to picking up a set of the used rack at the local range a few weeks ago.

Anyway, this is a GREAT set. It is a beautiful blend of feel, playability, and forgiveness.

OP
B

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
What was the winning bid?
We all have the ones that got away, that club (or in this case set) that you totally regret getting rid of. Well, the MX20s are that set for me. Every now again I'll make a push for them on the 'bay. I came damn close to picking up a set of the used rack at the local range a few weeks ago.

Anyway, this is a GREAT set. It is a beautiful blend of feel, playability, and forgiveness.

$83

OP
B

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
Well, they're pretty darn nice. But I have to say, I hate to point any fingers at JBH, but you can kind of see what he had on his mind while designing my 4DX CBs...

ahome.lagrange.edu_tummy_new_clubs_mx20_1.jpg

ahome.lagrange.edu_tummy_new_clubs_mx20_2.jpg

ahome.lagrange.edu_tummy_new_clubs_mx20_3.jpg

The blade length is a little longer on the MX20 and the sole is a tiny fraction narrower, but overall very damn close. And they feel the same. I know nobody will believe me on that, but anyone that feels like dropping by and hitting them back to back, please feel free. JBH said several times that through his studies he truly believed that head "feel" was actually sound, and that the shaft and grip were the only thing responsible for actual feel. These two clubs sound the same, and they feel the same. It's ridiculous. Apparently after he decided sound was the most important thing, he went nuts trying to make his irons sound like MX20s. The only real difference from back-to-back testing is the 4DX launches a little higher, and feels/sounds a little better on toed hits. You can see a little more meat in the cavity toward the toe explaining the latter, and they have a higher launching shaft to explain the former.

This is the closest I've ever had in my hands of near identical clubs, one cast and one forged. I'm now an even stronger believer that it makes absolutely no difference. They aren't even of the same metal (one 304SS the other 1025,) but in blindfolded testing I don't think you could tell the difference, aside from them having a bit different swingweights.

🔥 Latest posts