• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

MLB season Openers

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
That's my spot! You want me on your team playing third. ;) I played in a league for a few years and you are 100% correct, you get some screamers down the left side....and a lot of them.

This is the main reason I started playing a wooden bat league...those composite bats are just ridiculous these days. I'm not willing to endure bodily injury to play softball.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
This is the main reason I started playing a wooden bat league...those composite bats are just ridiculous these days. I'm not willing to endure bodily injury to play softball.
I help coach a Legion baseball team and we are trying to schedule as many wooden bat only games as we can. All of our guys practice with wooden bats. I've been taking my son to an indoor facility once a week since last December and he has hasn't used anything but wood. The main thing is the smaller sweet spot...kind of like a small blade iron. You lose a lot of distance when you miss the sweet spot on a wooden bat...but you can still rock one when you hit it solid. I love that sound.

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
Both of my stepsons quit baseball (after the season ended) because, and I quote, "It's just too boring to play". Neither has ever played it since, not even in a pick up game.

Their dad played high school ball. Even he couldn't get them back into it.

My sons did the same. It is a valid sport that takes true talent, just like any other, but when I don't love it, I can see how they would lose interest easily vs football, hockey, basketball, lacrosse, golf, and rugby

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
After umpiring for all these years I'll never pitch again. These new bats are too hot. They keep changing the ball, but it doesn't matter. A 3rd baseman got killed at a ASA national tourney last year after getting hit in the center of his chest. It seems that at least 1 or 2 senior players go to the hospital at every national event after getting hit by a batted ball.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
After umpiring for all these years I'll never pitch again. These new bats are too hot. They keep changing the ball, but it doesn't matter. A 3rd baseman got killed at a ASA national tourney last year after getting hit in the center of his chest. It seems that at least 1 or 2 senior players go to the hospital at every national event after getting hit by a batted ball.
That's scary.

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country

I had no idea. Kids are getting huge and strong and fast much earlier now. See college football or basketball. I think composite bats are a horrible idea. Whats the point?

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I had no idea. Kids are getting huge and strong and fast much earlier now. See college football or basketball. I think composite bats are a horrible idea. Whats the point?
Chicks dig the long ball.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I get it...technology kept increasing the speeds and over time it just became dangerous. Eventually they're going to have to increase the distances between bases or put a limit on the bats.

I won't pitch in a composite bat league. Absolutely refuse. Even with a helmet I won't do it.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Chicks dig the long ball.
There are limits on .COR just like with drivers. A lot of the older aluminum and composite bats are illegal now. I think the biggest benefit is, composite bats are lighter and have a bigger sweet spot than wood. I know a college coach who will argue that if you hit a wooden bat on the button it will go just as far(I don't believe it but what do I know).

🔥 Latest posts