• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

MORNING READ: Pinehurst's New Hickory Club Rental Program

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States
Embed from Getty Images
"ALTHOUGH PINEHURST'S OLDEST COURSES have persevered for more than a century," reported The Equipment Insider (at MORNING READ), "the resort's new hickory club rental program allows golfers to experience a round as it was played in a bygone era."

New England-based journalist Shaun Tolson had the good fortune to play Pinehurst No. 3 with a set of hickories and write about it for MORNING READ.

Here's a sample:

"It's a fun experience for individuals who have never done it and also for people who might play hickories once or twice a year," [Pinehurst head pro Matt] Barksdale said of renting a set and playing the No. 1 course, the No. 3 course, or The Cradle, Pinehurst's nine-hole short course. (Although the hickory clubs can be rented for play on any of Pinehurst's course — even the resort’s revered No. 2 layout — it's on the resort's aforementioned shorter courses that Barksdale and his team encourage their use.)

"They go out there with no expectations whatsoever and simply enjoy the game. It really does give you an appreciation for the early years of golf and how talented those individuals really were."

Renting a set of hickory clubs for a round at Pinehurst, which costs $50, can impact more than just a singular round of golf. The simple act of carrying those clubs to the driving range can pave the way for noteworthy introductions and interactions.

Read the story.

Recently, in the midst of a move, I considered playing a round with a handful of vintage golf clubs I've collected through the years, including a few made of hickory. But then I lost my motivation. Maybe someday.

Source: MORNING READ: Pinehurst's New Hickory Club Rental Program

🔥 Latest posts