• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Mulligan anyone?

Libre

Jul 29, 2007
Country
United States United States
What if the guy you usually play with - your golf buddy - whom you sincerely like (except for the following) - normally takes at least 2 or more mullies per round? Not only that, he brushes away putts of 2 feet. And he nudges his ball around all over the course. A few inches to a few yards. And he "forgets" about wasted strokes, penalties, whiffs, etc.

I do none of these things. I have this weird idea about the nature of golf - that it is a game that makes you pay for your mistakes. Last round, I was first up on the first tee - a par 5. I hit an ugly, worthless, piece of shit drive into the adjacent fairway on the right. My friend hit second - also a garbage drive. The third guy (not a regular - just a guy who happened to walk up on us at the first tee) says, ooh - you were distracted - hit another one. And my friend does! Right down the fairway! Then the third guy also hits one down the middle.

I was steamed. Of course, I could have re-teed. But in the GAME of GOLF, I would be hitting my third. If at all possible, I play my bad shots. I wound up playing the adjacent fairway all the way down - could not get over the tree line. Got a 9 on the first hole.

I walked over to the second tee in silence. I don't know what my friend scored. I consoled myself by telling myself, as far as I'm concerned, he spoiled his round on the first tee. I was still in the game, even with a bad start.

If there are no consequences for bad strokes - if the rules can be ignored - then a golf score is totally meaningless. Golf itself becomes meaningless. It's not a game or a challenge. It's just - as the saying goes - a good walk spoiled.

I didn't want to talk to either one of them for a few holes. I knew I was upsetting myself and needed to cool off. That third guy was very nice - but was also limp backhanding par putts that stopped on the edge - and nudged his ball around on the fairway.

I don't like to be annoyed - I play golf for enjoyment. I chilled out and had a pretty good round after that. I need to just play my own game. I refuse to change. I don't care if I shoot a 110, if that's what I shoot.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
If I'm not playing in a tournament or a money round I don't give a crap what the other guys in my group are doing.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I’m similar. If you’re playing a social round and the other guy is taking mulligans and kicking the ball out of the rough, there’s no point in him carrying a scorecard.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
I have a few playing partners like that and I passively joke about their habits with sarcasm. "why don't we just pre-record our scores?" or "why bother writing down our scores if they are going to be fiction?". If I am keeping score and playing to post my score, I leave theirs blank. If they ask, I'll just say "I didn't think you guys were keeping score". If they ask why, I'll point out that they were obviously not playing golf.

I can play with the same guys and play the same game, but I have to preset my mind that this isn't real and just go with it........and as Greg says, some days I have to just ignore it.

BogeySwine

Feb 16, 2017
I have a few playing partners like that and I passively joke about their habits with sarcasm. "why don't we just pre-record our scores?" or "why bother writing down our scores if they are going to be fiction?". If I am keeping score and playing to post my score, I leave theirs blank. If they ask, I'll just say "I didn't think you guys were keeping score". If they ask why, I'll point out that they were obviously not playing golf.

I can play with the same guys and play the same game, but I have to preset my mind that this isn't real and just go with it........and as Greg says, some days I have to just ignore it.

EXACTLY!!!!! I keep my own card and if no one else wants to write down all the scores I keep one for rest of the group. When I hear a score that is plainly fiction I make sure to ask "what shots aren't we counting?" It really doesn't matter, but I like them to know that no one is being fooled but themselves! Usually the "forgetting" starts if they are off to a good start.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Our "geezer group" has 10 to 12 regulars. We play for quarters. The observance of the Rules of Golf are all over the place. Yet, no one wins or loses consistently and repeatedly. As someone said, we play for fun. We play for the social interaction.
Most of us will play the ball as it lies and follow the Rules of Golf to the best of our ability. As a group, we do violate a couple of those rules. On #1 tee, anyone can hit a mulligan. After that first tee shot, you play the ball with no second chances. We also do not observe the 5-minute lost ball rule. We call it a 20 second rule. It's really probably closer to 1 minute. We just don't spend any time looking for a lost ball.
Amongst the group we have two avid rules violators. One will move his ball away from a tree or obstruction enough to swing the club. He also does not putt out and uses the length of his putter for a 'gimmee'. The other is the only one in the group that ever displays any temper tantrums. He refuses to hit from a bunker. Just tosses the ball out and plays from there. He also will pick up his ball 10 feet from the hole when he's out of sorts and count it as a 'gimmee'. The first stays competitive with his "infractions", but seldom loses or wins much. If he get too many "marks" during the round, you will see him purposely miss some putts or doffing some shots on the last few holes to clear his conscience. The other is never competitive, even with his "imaginary" making of 10 FT putts. Both are chided about their loose play. The group tolerates it and away we go.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
Our "geezer group" has 10 to 12 regulars. We play for quarters. The observance of the Rules of Golf are all over the place. Yet, no one wins or loses consistently and repeatedly. As someone said, we play for fun. We play for the social interaction.
Most of us will play the ball as it lies and follow the Rules of Golf to the best of our ability. As a group, we do violate a couple of those rules. On #1 tee, anyone can hit a mulligan. After that first tee shot, you play the ball with no second chances. We also do not observe the 5-minute lost ball rule. We call it a 20 second rule. It's really probably closer to 1 minute. We just don't spend any time looking for a lost ball.
Amongst the group we have two avid rules violators. One will move his ball away from a tree or obstruction enough to swing the club. He also does not putt out and uses the length of his putter for a 'gimmee'. The other is the only one in the group that ever displays any temper tantrums. He refuses to hit from a bunker. Just tosses the ball out and plays from there. He also will pick up his ball 10 feet from the hole when he's out of sorts and count it as a 'gimmee'. The first stays competitive with his "infractions", but seldom loses or wins much. If he get too many "marks" during the round, you will see him purposely miss some putts or doffing some shots on the last few holes to clear his conscience. The other is never competitive, even with his "imaginary" making of 10 FT putts. Both are chided about their loose play. The group tolerates it and away we go.

Too loose for me - nobody would collect a penny from me with that much rule bending. Gimmees the length of your putter? These guys don't claim a handicap do they? Yikes!

Last edited:

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I could care less what anyone else does.

There are two exceptions:
1) Money Games
2) Don't take Mulligans and Gimmes and brag about your score. I will call you out on that.
Those that take 'gimmees' from any length are only hurting themselves. When the chips are down and you have to make a putt... and aren't used to making the short ones... you WILL fail. I want to putt out just so I have the practice and the confidence.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
I say to each their own. Unless it’s for money or a tournament. If you establish how the group is going to play on the front end, there shouldn’t be anything to complain about.

My regular playing partner and I usually play fairly loose when we’re out just having fun.

“Breakfast ball” off the first tee? Check.

Roll the ball if you have a shitty lie? Up to you, don’t be a greedy bastard.

Gimmies? Only if your playing partner gives it to you, no established rule.

Move the ball if it’s against a tree or root? Sure. No one wants to break a club or wrist.

That’s with my normal playing buddy. When playing with others, play the way they are playing.

Again, this should be established before the first ball flies or duffs off the first tee.

Does this make the game played any less pure? Absolutely it does.

Does it beat sitting on the couch doing nothing? Again, correct.

BogeySwine

Feb 16, 2017
On #1 tee, anyone can hit a mulligan. After that first tee shot, you play the ball with no second chances.

Just had to comment! Years ago my regular group would usually have the second tee time on Saturday mornings. The group in front of us most Saturdays would all hit drives until they all liked their drives. We started calling them (among ourselves!) the Wack Wacks! They would hop into their carts and speed off! We could see them on the green of the first hole. By the time we got to the second tee walking they were already putting out on the green! After that we rarely would see them again.
I never knew their names but one day I stopped by the course to make a reservation for the next Saturday. The first time was already taken so when I asked for the second spot I asked the attendant if the "Wack Wacks" had the first time. He was laughing quite a bit! He asked why I called them that and I explained what they did almost every Saturday when we had the time behind them. After that day the name kind of stuck. I heard many others refer to the group in the same manner from then on. We stopped playing that course when it went through a rebuilding. I'm going to have to play there this Spring to see if they are all still around!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.