1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Mulligan anyone?

Discussion in 'Hacker's Anonymous' started by Libre, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Libre

Libre Well-Known Member

United States United States
    What if the guy you usually play with - your golf buddy - whom you sincerely like (except for the following) - normally takes at least 2 or more mullies per round? Not only that, he brushes away putts of 2 feet. And he nudges his ball around all over the course. A few inches to a few yards. And he "forgets" about wasted strokes, penalties, whiffs, etc.

I do none of these things. I have this weird idea about the nature of golf - that it is a game that makes you pay for your mistakes. Last round, I was first up on the first tee - a par 5. I hit an ugly, worthless, piece of shit drive into the adjacent fairway on the right. My friend hit second - also a garbage drive. The third guy (not a regular - just a guy who happened to walk up on us at the first tee) says, ooh - you were distracted - hit another one. And my friend does! Right down the fairway! Then the third guy also hits one down the middle.

I was steamed. Of course, I could have re-teed. But in the GAME of GOLF, I would be hitting my third. If at all possible, I play my bad shots. I wound up playing the adjacent fairway all the way down - could not get over the tree line. Got a 9 on the first hole.

I walked over to the second tee in silence. I don't know what my friend scored. I consoled myself by telling myself, as far as I'm concerned, he spoiled his round on the first tee. I was still in the game, even with a bad start.

If there are no consequences for bad strokes - if the rules can be ignored - then a golf score is totally meaningless. Golf itself becomes meaningless. It's not a game or a challenge. It's just - as the saying goes - a good walk spoiled.

I didn't want to talk to either one of them for a few holes. I knew I was upsetting myself and needed to cool off. That third guy was very nice - but was also limp backhanding par putts that stopped on the edge - and nudged his ball around on the fairway.

I don't like to be annoyed - I play golf for enjoyment. I chilled out and had a pretty good round after that. I need to just play my own game. I refuse to change. I don't care if I shoot a 110, if that's what I shoot.

TheTrueReview likes this.
  2. Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer Golfer on hiatus. Supporting Member

Anxiously awaiting a few responses on this one :p

3. azgreg

azgreg "Don't count that." Supporting Member

If I'm not playing in a tournament or a money round I don't give a crap what the other guys in my group are doing.

WWBDD likes this.
  4. TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview "Playing it straight" Supporting Member

Australia Australia
    I’m similar. If you’re playing a social round and the other guy is taking mulligans and kicking the ball out of the rough, there’s no point in him carrying a scorecard.

5. PaPaD

PaPaD Club ho, geezer........ Supporting Member

I have a few playing partners like that and I passively joke about their habits with sarcasm. "why don't we just pre-record our scores?" or "why bother writing down our scores if they are going to be fiction?". If I am keeping score and playing to post my score, I leave theirs blank. If they ask, I'll just say "I didn't think you guys were keeping score". If they ask why, I'll point out that they were obviously not playing golf.

I can play with the same guys and play the same game, but I have to preset my mind that this isn't real and just go with it........and as Greg says, some days I have to just ignore it.

BogeySwine likes this.
  6. BogeySwine

BogeySwine Active Member

EXACTLY!!!!! I keep my own card and if no one else wants to write down all the scores I keep one for rest of the group. When I hear a score that is plainly fiction I make sure to ask "what shots aren't we counting?" It really doesn't matter, but I like them to know that no one is being fooled but themselves! Usually the "forgetting" starts if they are off to a good start.

TheTrueReview and PaPaD like this.
  7. limpalong

limpalong Mental Ward Escapee Supporting Member

Our "geezer group" has 10 to 12 regulars. We play for quarters. The observance of the Rules of Golf are all over the place. Yet, no one wins or loses consistently and repeatedly. As someone said, we play for fun. We play for the social interaction.
    Most of us will play the ball as it lies and follow the Rules of Golf to the best of our ability. As a group, we do violate a couple of those rules. On #1 tee, anyone can hit a mulligan. After that first tee shot, you play the ball with no second chances. We also do not observe the 5-minute lost ball rule. We call it a 20 second rule. It's really probably closer to 1 minute. We just don't spend any time looking for a lost ball.
    Amongst the group we have two avid rules violators. One will move his ball away from a tree or obstruction enough to swing the club. He also does not putt out and uses the length of his putter for a 'gimmee'. The other is the only one in the group that ever displays any temper tantrums. He refuses to hit from a bunker. Just tosses the ball out and plays from there. He also will pick up his ball 10 feet from the hole when he's out of sorts and count it as a 'gimmee'. The first stays competitive with his "infractions", but seldom loses or wins much. If he get too many "marks" during the round, you will see him purposely miss some putts or doffing some shots on the last few holes to clear his conscience. The other is never competitive, even with his "imaginary" making of 10 FT putts. Both are chided about their loose play. The group tolerates it and away we go.

BogeySwine likes this.
  8. PaPaD

PaPaD Club ho, geezer........ Supporting Member

Too loose for me - nobody would collect a penny from me with that much rule bending. Gimmees the length of your putter? These guys don't claim a handicap do they? Yikes!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  9. subsonic

subsonic Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I could care less what anyone else does.

There are two exceptions:
    1) Money Games
    2) Don't take Mulligans and Gimmes and brag about your score. I will call you out on that.

10. Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer Golfer on hiatus. Supporting Member

Negates a lot of the scores reported on this site.

TheTrueReview, PaPaD and subsonic like this.
  11. subsonic

Amendment to number 2 "If I am personally playing golf with you" does not apply to internet commandos.

Wi-Golfer and PaPaD like this.
  12. limpalong

limpalong Mental Ward Escapee Supporting Member

Those that take 'gimmees' from any length are only hurting themselves. When the chips are down and you have to make a putt... and aren't used to making the short ones... you WILL fail. I want to putt out just so I have the practice and the confidence.

13. Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320 Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again. Staff Member Admin

Admin Post
    I say to each their own. Unless it’s for money or a tournament. If you establish how the group is going to play on the front end, there shouldn’t be anything to complain about.

My regular playing partner and I usually play fairly loose when we’re out just having fun.

“Breakfast ball” off the first tee? Check.

Roll the ball if you have a shitty lie? Up to you, don’t be a greedy bastard.

Gimmies? Only if your playing partner gives it to you, no established rule.

Move the ball if it’s against a tree or root? Sure. No one wants to break a club or wrist.

That’s with my normal playing buddy. When playing with others, play the way they are playing.

Again, this should be established before the first ball flies or duffs off the first tee.

Does this make the game played any less pure? Absolutely it does.

Does it beat sitting on the couch doing nothing? Again, correct.

14. TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview "Playing it straight" Supporting Member

Australia Australia
    ^^^^^^**
    This!

15. BogeySwine

BogeySwine Active Member

Just had to comment! Years ago my regular group would usually have the second tee time on Saturday mornings. The group in front of us most Saturdays would all hit drives until they all liked their drives. We started calling them (among ourselves!) the Wack Wacks! They would hop into their carts and speed off! We could see them on the green of the first hole. By the time we got to the second tee walking they were already putting out on the green! After that we rarely would see them again.
    I never knew their names but one day I stopped by the course to make a reservation for the next Saturday. The first time was already taken so when I asked for the second spot I asked the attendant if the "Wack Wacks" had the first time. He was laughing quite a bit! He asked why I called them that and I explained what they did almost every Saturday when we had the time behind them. After that day the name kind of stuck. I heard many others refer to the group in the same manner from then on. We stopped playing that course when it went through a rebuilding. I'm going to have to play there this Spring to see if they are all still around!

limpalong and azgreg like this.
  16. Libre

Libre Well-Known Member

Golf is a very difficult game - it's understandable why people feel the need to make it easier. And I suppose it's not cheating unless there is a stated match going on.

And I'm not saying you can't give a guy a break now and then, look the other way if his (or your) ball is on a tree root or in a rut. I don't adhere to strict PGA tournament rules in every situation. If I lose my tee shot I drop a ball and add a stroke instead of going back to the tee. But after that happens, I feel that my round has been tainted. Honestly.

If I'm having an awful round I'll just stop scoring and play hole by hole - trying to make bogies.

A few rounds ago, I confess I moved my ball 2 inches to the left.
    I remember my score (97) but improving that lie is my one clear memory of the round.

limpalong likes this.
  17. azgreg

azgreg "Don't count that." Supporting Member

I've been known to throw a tee down when someone is nudging the ball around to get a better lie.

18. subsonic

If you are going to sin, you may as well sin boldly.

Fairwaysplitter3320 and PaPaD like this.
  19. MCDavis

MCDavis The Plaid Duffer Staff Member Moderator

I always putt out, and I generally play it where it lies. The exception is when my ball is sitting on a barren area with rocks, or behind a root. Yes, I hit a bad shot. But, I'm not damaging a club if I'm just playing for fun. I won't move my ball to the fairway...I still leave myself a bad lie (hardpan, for example).

However, if I know this bothers any of my playing partners, I don't do it. To me, part of respecting the game is respecting the game being played by the people you're with.

20. warbirdlover

warbirdlover Ender of all threads Supporting Member

A few years ago my golfing partner says "oh just take a mullie" which I did. When done he goes around (behind my back) telling everyone I take mullies. That's the last one I take unless I'm by myself working on my game. And we all do the mullies allowed on the first tee thing just to get out of the way if it's crowded behind us. I value my reputation as a decent golfer and so now I play the ball. I can recover most of the time and get a respectable score so why not. Of course when I play with jhmeg2 I cheat like hell just to stay within a couple strokes of him on the holes.. :D