• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Mulligan anyone?

OP
Libre

Libre

Jul 29, 2007
Country
United States United States
Golf is a very difficult game - it's understandable why people feel the need to make it easier. And I suppose it's not cheating unless there is a stated match going on.

And I'm not saying you can't give a guy a break now and then, look the other way if his (or your) ball is on a tree root or in a rut. I don't adhere to strict PGA tournament rules in every situation. If I lose my tee shot I drop a ball and add a stroke instead of going back to the tee. But after that happens, I feel that my round has been tainted. Honestly.

If I'm having an awful round I'll just stop scoring and play hole by hole - trying to make bogies.

A few rounds ago, I confess I moved my ball 2 inches to the left.
I remember my score (97) but improving that lie is my one clear memory of the round.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
I always putt out, and I generally play it where it lies. The exception is when my ball is sitting on a barren area with rocks, or behind a root. Yes, I hit a bad shot. But, I'm not damaging a club if I'm just playing for fun. I won't move my ball to the fairway...I still leave myself a bad lie (hardpan, for example).

However, if I know this bothers any of my playing partners, I don't do it. To me, part of respecting the game is respecting the game being played by the people you're with.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
A few years ago my golfing partner says "oh just take a mullie" which I did. When done he goes around (behind my back) telling everyone I take mullies. That's the last one I take unless I'm by myself working on my game. And we all do the mullies allowed on the first tee thing just to get out of the way if it's crowded behind us. I value my reputation as a decent golfer and so now I play the ball. I can recover most of the time and get a respectable score so why not. Of course when I play with jhmeg2 I cheat like hell just to stay within a couple strokes of him on the holes.. :D

OP
Libre

Libre

Jul 29, 2007
Country
I don't ask for - or allow - take backs in chess, either.
I don't say, think, or want to hear: Ohhh, now that I moved my piece, I see a much better move. I tried to imagine the position before I made the move - the essence of chess - but I didn't see this at all. So I'll just move my piece back to where it was and make that other - better - move instead. And when I win this game, I'll sure be proud of myself!

Bullshit.
That's not chess. That's a child's game, similar to chess - but not really.

If you remove the essence of something, it no longer is that something.
It's something else, that falsely and dangerously masquerades.

I shouldn't get that worked up over mulligans or do overs - but as I said, I have no interest in changing. Since it affects nobody but me, I feel that I would be the loser if I compromised. Compromise with whom? Exactly.

(I'd be lying if I didn't admit to a fair amount of shenanigans on the course myself - up a creek (literally), or after a succession of triples and quads. There are times you just can't fight it. Golf can crush your spirit as easily as elevate it.)

Last edited:

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
I don't ask for - or allow - take backs in chess, either.
I don't say, think, or want to hear: Ohhh, now that I moved my piece, I see a much better move. I tried to imagine the position before I made the move - the essence of chess - but I didn't see this at all. So I'll just move my piece back to where it was and make that other - better - move instead. And when I win this game, I'll sure be proud of myself!

Bullshit.
That's not chess. That's a child's game, similar to chess - but not really.

If you remove the essence of something, it no longer is that something.
It's something else, that falsely and dangerously masquerades.

I shouldn't get that worked up over mulligans or do overs - but as I said, I have no interest in changing. Since it affects nobody but me, I feel that I would be the loser if I compromised. Compromise with whom? Exactly.

It stops being "real" golf when we bend/break the rules, yes. My leagues are all USGA as is our club championship match play. It's tough, but it's real. Your score is real. Your pride is earned. The casual/social game between buddies is fun too, but as subsonic says don't brag about your score if it ain't real.

one_chip_short

Misplaced Texan
Supporting Member
Feb 15, 2017
Glendale, Az
Country
First I should say, I am a proponent of recreational rules as many sports of adopted. With that sid, my group plays for the social interaction, we don't really keep our score. However, in a tournament it is the rules of golf. But if you out enjoying the day ... do what you want. The sad truth is, some of the guys will not be golfing much longer, and may not even be around ... so why get wrapped around the axle over a silly golf rule that means nothing in a casual round. I want to soak up the day, and laughter.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
If I’m not playing a competition round under R & A rules, I’m treating it as a practice round. I’ll play two balls if I feel like it, retake a putt if I feel like it, etc.

GMMWICKED

Jan 30, 2018
Country
If I’m not playing a competition round under R & A rules, I’m treating it as a practice round. I’ll play two balls if I feel like it, retake a putt if I feel like it, etc.

My sentiments exactly. If there is nothing on the line then it’s practice. I want to get better and build confidence. Enjoy the moment.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia

My sentiments exactly. If there is nothing on the line then it’s practice. I want to get better and build confidence. Enjoy the moment.

Similarly, I won't be found in the clubhouse afterwards bragging about my practise round.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.