• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Must play courses in North Carolina?

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
My wife just booked a house on the beach at Top Sail, NC. It's really close to Wilmington. We're leaving Louisville after the PGA Championship and driving out there to stay for a week. Aside from fishing, I plan on playing some golf. I definitely want to play Pine Needles on the way out there. After that, I have no idea. Anyone have any suggestions for courses in the Wilmington area?

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
So I'm browsing around and I stumbled upon two courses in Wilmington that just happen to be ranked in the top 15 courses in the state, Cape Fear and Eagle Point. I was super excited until I realize that both are private. :(

Forget about Pinehurst No. 2, all tee times are already booked that week.

Back to the drawing board.

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Also, If anyone in the area wants to hook up for a round, that would be awesome. The worst part of playing vacation golf is I never have anyone to play with.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
I have played at Pinehurst several times, and while I liked the historic part of No. 2, I actually enjoyed playing No. 1 more, especially walking it with a caddie. Don't forget MidPines.

Unfortunately, I'm still a long drive from Wilmington, or I'd be glad to play golf with you. You are close to Myrtle Beach, many nice courses there for very little money.

When I go on vacation, if I'm not playing at a resort course, I like to search for old Donald Ross courses; many of them are open to the public.

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I have played at Pinehurst several times, and while I liked the historic part of No. 2, I actually enjoyed playing No. 1 more, especially walking it with a caddie. Don't forget MidPines.

Unfortunately, I'm still a long drive from Wilmington, or I'd be glad to play golf with you. You are close to Myrtle Beach, many nice courses there for very little money.

When I go on vacation, if I'm not playing at a resort course, I like to search for old Donald Ross courses; many of them are open to the public.

No. 1 is booked too. Are the other Pinehurst courses worth the money? I feel like I would be paying for a name. I would love to play a little jewel of a course that isn't such a tourist trap.

If you had the choice would you pick MidPines over Pine Needles? I'll probably only play once during that stop.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
No. 1 is booked too. Are the other Pinehurst courses worth the money? I feel like I would be paying for a name. I would love to play a little jewel of a course that isn't such a tourist trap.

If you had the choice would you pick MidPines over Pine Needles? I'll probably only play once during that stop.

Honestly, I liked them both about the same.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Check out courses at North Myrtle Beach, SC and Myrtle Beach, SC. You're not far from there.

Also, let me know when/where you'll be. I won't be able to get in any golf, but we have a place at N. Myrtle and I might run down for a night and we could get dinner and drinks. Can't guarantee it, but if I don't know when ain't no way it's happening! ;)

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Check out courses at North Myrtle Beach, SC and Myrtle Beach, SC. You're not far from there.

Also, let me know when/where you'll be. I won't be able to get in any golf, but we have a place at N. Myrtle and I might run down for a night and we could get dinner and drinks. Can't guarantee it, but if I don't know when ain't no way it's happening! ;)
Will do! Sounds good. I think we will be staying about an hour and a half from N Myrtle Beach. Maybe we could squeeze in a twilight round? Any "must plays" down there that spring to mind?

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Google "Sea Trail". It's near. I played all 3 courses many years ago. Seems like 1 is better than the other 2, but all 3 were fun.

Myrtle has a ton of courses, but even with a free place to stay I haven't played down there in years. One of the main courses we'd run play because it was well kept, fairly easy to get on, and relatively cheap got bought out, torn up, and developed over.

I got out of the "I'm at Myrtle I've gotta play XXXXXX course that costs $XXX/round a long time ago...just too expensive for my hacker's game.

If you like seafood, there's a place at Southport called The Provision Company that's on the waterway (literally), great food, cold beer, very laid back. You sit outdoors (covered) basically on the docks that the boats tie up to. You can easily lose a couple hours there just hanging out...but not from waiting on food. Service is good.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I spent a year in N Carolina in the late 80s and didn't play 1 round of golf.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Fayetteville was a cesspool. If God was to give the world an enema that's where he would insert the tube.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Fayetteville was a cesspool. If God was to give the world an enema that's where he would insert the tube.
They've cleaned up a lot of the areas. Hay St. is entirely different...lots of retail, no bars, etc. It's still not the greatest town, but you'd notice a huge difference.

🔥 Latest posts