• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My 1st round of the year....

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
and it was a wierd one!

Pouring rain here this morning, but it tapered off about 11AM, so I jumped in the car and drove to Aiken Golf Club, a 1912 Donald Ross design. I've only played it once before: it's short, only 6057 yards from the medal tees, but kind of fun. Par 70, rating 68.0, slope 117. Sounds easy, right? Well, I hope some of my ST friends will come visit sometime, because this course is a gem. Several long (190+) par 3s make it interesting, along with big hills, big trees, and OB on 9 holes.

I walked for the 3rd straight day. Just sprinkling when I teed off on #1, a par 4. Birdied that baby! Par the next 2. Got to #4 and it started pouring. Dug out the umbrella, and waited it out. Parred/bogied my way around the front for a 37 (par 35).

This course meanders through an older section of Aiken, complete with horse riding trails. Heard this noise on #7, and there were 3 horses watching me. :) The course does not come back to the clubhouse until #18, and the snackbar on #9 was closed today. :( About this time, I was getting really hungry. No food handy, but the rain stopped, and the sun came out. :)

Some of the back side par 4s are only about 290 yards. Drivable for animals, but 3 woods off the tee for me. Then you get to your ball, and you see that the greens are the size of a postage stamp. Parred/bogied my way around to #18, which is one of those 180+ par 3s. Hit my 25* hybrid 8 feet from the pin, one putt for another birdie! Birdies on first and last holes: told you it was a wierd round! No doubles for the first time in my life!

40 (par 35) on the back for a 77 (par 70). First time in my life I broke 80. :D

Happy New Year to everyone, and may your first round, whenever it is, be a good, memorable one.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Congrats Doc! First sub 80 is a big day!

What happened to the 98 you predicted? :confused: ;)

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Way to go. Feels so easy when you're keeping it in play and hitting greens, huh. Of course a few good chips and putts always help. Don't stop now, keep going.
icon13.gif

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Nice job putting good rounds back to back! You keep this up and you're index will start to really go down!

Jun 24, 2006
My home course is a Donald Ross. I know what you mean about 'postage stamp' :eek:.

Very nice round!. I guess I was wrong about the following score being a high one. Don't worry though, next one will be 95+.

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
Good job, try to stay on a roll with those low rounds.

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Actually, I was thinking about quitting now that I've broken 80. Anyone want to buy 3 sets of Hogan irons? :)

Donald Ross is my favorite course designer. For a while there today, when it was 50*F, the rain was pouring down, my glasses were splattered and fogged, I couldn't see a damn thing, and I was still shooting pars, I thought the ghost of Donald Ross and I were playing a round in Scotland.

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
nice round. Keep this run going, maybe a 72 tomorrow?

Not a chance. I've got to work all week, so I can keep up this golf addiction. :)

Lord help me, now I'm hoing golf shoes..................... 3 days of walking in a row, my dogs are barking.

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
Congrats!!! :)

My first round of 2007 will be tomorrow, Bethpage Blue, only played Yellow once previously.

Only downside is it is supposed to be windy tomorrow so we'll see how things turn out.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
...is yet to be.

Good to hear about both your rounds though Doc.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.