• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My g/f sucks at golf...

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
I got my wife into golf with a simple comment. She had the option of putting the time in at the range to get to the point where she could hit the ball consistently, at which point we would start playing on the course, or she could become a golf widow like her mother. Two days later she was signed up for lessons, and a couple of weeks later I had her out on the course. Other than that you need to get her a set of women's clubs this will make a world of difference, and while best ball and not keeping score is nice in a non competitive person if your g/f is anything like my wife she will play more within the rules than half the guys on the course. My wife has yet to take a mully, takes the proper penalty for every shot, and putts out on every hole. She has yet to break 110, but she wouldn't have it any other way, and believe me I have tried. Then the last and most important piece of advice I can give, while you are on the course keep the mouth shut unless it is to say "Nice shot," "Good Ball," or otherwise coach her ball as you would your own. Comments about swings, stance, grip, etc. will not be welcome and more than likely will land you on the couch for the night. Other than that have fun.

buykrux

May 15, 2009
well you see my gf has 2 big problems which dont allow her to swing correctly ;) haha

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
My basic theory is that to pick up any sport as an adult requires total immersion. Send your girlfriend to girls' golf camp. You can't possibly pick the game up with a half hour lesson every couple of weeks. Also, check out the EWGA EWGA They have lots of introduction to golf events, and it's a very supportive atmosphere in which to pick up the game.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
My basic theory is that to pick up any sport as an adult requires total immersion. Send your girlfriend to girls' golf camp. You can't possibly pick the game up with a half hour lesson every couple of weeks. Also, check out the EWGA EWGA They have lots of introduction to golf events, and it's a very supportive atmosphere in which to pick up the game.

You do realize many on this forum aren't quite as...fortunate, as yourself, yes?

C'mon Claire, keep it practical.

If she doesn't enjoy it, that's fine, if she might, just be patient and encourage her. Remind her that it is about having fun and you are there to enjoy yourselves.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States

You do realize many on this forum aren't quite as...fortunate, as yourself, yes?

C'mon Claire, keep it practical.

If she doesn't enjoy it, that's fine, if she might, just be patient and encourage her. Remind her that it is about having fun and you are there to enjoy yourselves.
My wife rejoined the EWGA because we changed memberships to Shawnee this year and that is where they play their weekly events.

I would recommend to anyone to learn if it is the same elsewhere. I was amazed to learn that when they went you had the option to either play, or if you were new to the sport, you could take lessons during that time. Seemed like a great way to progress from learning to being comfortable with going onto the course. They have alot of different level golfers, and seem to pair them up to even it out alot. Her last time out, one of them shot an excessively high score, but they all still had a great time. For the first time, she has played with golfers as well that are consistently better than her with indexes around 4-6, which is an entirely new experience to her. She actually for the first time is playing with lady golfers where she sees an entirely new aspect of the game. Everyone has a chance to learn from the experience it seems.

Had I shot a score that high and felt the wrath of feeling like I was slowing down others, I would have probably not gone back out. However if you take a 10 on a hole, and get to the next tee and find you are still keeping up and moving along with the group in front, it would be a lot less intimidating.

This was actually similar to how we learned with a 5 week one day a week of lessons. Had I had an oppurtunity to either take a lesson then test it out on the course the next week with more accomplished golfers and know that they had an expectation that it was all for the sake of fun, it would have made the transition from lessons to course much easier than "Baptism by Fire"

From my experience with most of the ladies that play and that we have been around when they started, the main reason they would not go on the course was because of the intimidation factor, which is quickly overcome if you are in the same boat as alot of the people you are there with at the time. Intimidation creates tension, and I think everyone knows what tension creates with a golf club in your hand. We always took the approach with new golfers, that we were there at one point, and would hope we could ease the tension with new golfers by realizing we are there to enjoy the day. I think that is the same approach with most all that my wife has met through the EWGA

farscape7

Dec 18, 2008
if i was going to teach anyone how to golf i would give them a putter and a gap wedge. for a girl you need to make sure the grips are smaller for their tiny hands.(cleveland has a great womens wedge with nice grips, and graphite shaft) i would then play mostly on par 3 courses, have them take lessons. once they get the hang of how to hit a wedge properly it will be easier to start adding clubs but to give a person 14 clubs is just crazy.

but of course i have never taught anyone golf, the above is just the way i thought i should have been schooled.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
for a girl you need to make sure the grips are smaller for their tiny hands.
Actually I think in many or even most case, a lady may need larger grips because their fingers are usually longer proportionally to their palm than that of a man. Most ladies clubs have too small a grip as the size of your fingers are likely more important in evaluating than the size of your hand.

My wife has much smaller hands than I, and no bigger than the average ladies hand, but still uses a midsize grip. Then again, I think the grip is also more of a matter of how they feel and perform for the each individual. She played for years with a standard ladies grip, just not as comfortably as once she changed to a proper grip. I wear large mens gloves, and could likely get away with XL, but likely a little snugger fit that gives a little room for the glove to stretch. My wife uses a Med womens glove.

If you do it for nothing else, I would have them go to a good clubfitter to get fitted for a proper grip. The difference in cost would be negligible, over somewhere else. The difference in feel and performance could be the difference in them staying in the game.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
thanks so much for useful info :sc:

I have to admit you are the new Spam Champ. Getting a quarter of a year old thread to promote Online-Business? Can you get "stupidier" than that?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.