• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My new ride

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Daughter and son-in-law sold their bikes after he wrecked the last time. Took his through a barbed wire fence. Over 600 stitches where the wire caught his cheek at the corner of his mouth and opened it up clear past the eye socket. Plastic surgeon did a fantastic job but he'll have a scar for the rest of his life. Insurance paid them for his as it was totaled. She then sold her Can Am and has put her foot down about them having bikes.
Instead, they will stay with hunting and fishing. Built fence and a loafing shed this past weekend. They're buying 15 goats.
That's why I never owned one. I loved to ride them but there's no armor around you when something bad happens. I used to race snowmobiles and one time I was sailing my trail machine along in a farmer's field when this single strand of wire appeared. I just had time to raise my arms so it caught me across the chest and didn't take my head off but that was it for snowmobiles. Did I say that wire shot me backward like a bowstring?

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Daughter and son-in-law sold their bikes after he wrecked the last time. Took his through a barbed wire fence. Over 600 stitches where the wire caught his cheek at the corner of his mouth and opened it up clear past the eye socket. Plastic surgeon did a fantastic job but he'll have a scar for the rest of his life. Insurance paid them for his as it was totaled. She then sold her Can Am and has put her foot down about them having bikes.
Instead, they will stay with hunting and fishing. Built fence and a loafing shed this past weekend. They're buying 15 goats.

Or he could have worn a helmet..which may not have solved all his issues, but he definitely wouldn't have taken a wire to the face. They're pretty important. I'm not a gear nazi, I'll ride down to the ball park to play softball with just my helmet. But if I go over 30, I put on all my gear. I never get on the bike without a helmet though.

Luckily, my wife loves motorcycles. Understands what risks they involve, and we're both willing to take those risks.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
The image of my dad in a full body cast has kept me of a motorcycle for most of my life (there has been a time or two).

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
The image of my dad in a full body cast has kept me of a motorcycle for most of my life (there has been a time or two).

I still have a vivid memory as a young cop going to a fatal motorcycle cycle accident. A rider and pillion had failed to take a bend at speed and crashed headlong into a solid wooden fence. I still can picture their broken bodies laying face down on the bitumen road. Their bodies followed the contour of the road. Good times.

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
I still have a vivid memory as a young cop going to a fatal motorcycle cycle accident. A rider and pillion had failed to take a bend at speed and crashed headlong into a solid wooden fence. I still can picture their broken bodies laying face down on the bitumen road. Their bodies followed the contour of the road. Good times.
Speak Engrish! What is a pillion? Passenger? Bitumen? Asphalt?

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Made the maiden commute today.

5k-red line, this thing is a torque monster. I'm loving it. I can't even imagine what those liter bikes feel like...this thing is a rocket.

Riding position needs some getting used to.

Things I need to do(in no particular order):
1. Put bar ends on it
2. Cramp buster
3. Adjust throttle cables
4. Set sag/adjust damping - she's real stiff, might have to change springs, not sure.
5. Put miles on her!

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Made the maiden commute today.

5k-red line, this thing is a torque monster. I'm loving it. I can't even imagine what those liter bikes feel like...this thing is a rocket.

Riding position needs some getting used to.

You had a 650 before right?
A liter bike is flat out disgustingly fast & scary. Mine will hit 160 in a blink & it accelerates just as hard from 100-160 as it does from lower speeds. I have it since new in 04 & still have never gotten to a point where I am bored or felt I needed more power.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
You had a 650 before right?
A liter bike is flat out disgustingly fast & scary. Mine will hit 160 in a blink & it accelerates just as hard from 100-160 as it does from lower speeds. I have it since new in 04 & still have never gotten to a point where I am bored or felt I needed more power.

Yeah, SV650S, and I got to the point with that bike that the power was meh, but it was a great road bike IMO. Great usable power on the street, the only thing it really needed was better suspension and brakes. I had a bunch of fun on that bike. Feel like it's one of the best starter bikes still today, and you can get them used for a song.

The only large displacement bike I've ridden is a mid 2000's BMW K1200R. It's heavier than the supersports, but it's got plenty of HP.

This 848 is a bit more...lets say, testy. I'm still not totally comfortable on it yet, but I've only got 200 miles into it and that's all commuting. Can't wait till I can get her out on some of the western WI roads I used to frequent. I'm also taking a vacation down in South Carolina this August. In the hills, so I might take it with down there and find some twisty roads.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
No...this isn't a thread about MC's daughter...

It's about my new-to-me 2012 Ducati 848 EVO (not Corse as the bottom fairing suggests...) It was raining during my test drive, but this thing is absolutely amazing. I'm pumped to get some miles on this thing over the summer.

Drove down to Kansas City, about 8 hrs each way, to pick it up, ended up being about an 18 hour day. Trailer'd it back though...no way was I going to ride this thing 8 hours the first day getting on it.

Only picture I have so far is on the trailer - Once the weather gets better, I'll put some better one up.

swDi6ja.jpg
Nice looking bike, dickhead.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.