• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My Self Made Holster

dknisle1

Jan 25, 2014
Don't know how many on here are gun enthusiast. Me and a buddy are making holsters and this is our prototype.
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1411354258.036983.jpg
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1411354268.974151.jpg
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1411354284.014382.jpg

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Not bad! Really good for your first one! I did it for a while on a friends press, I'm not patient enough with finishing and my prefered holsters require leather work that I'm not willing to get into.

My only suggestion would be, the chicago screws/rivets could be closer to the trigger side and you could remove a lot of that kydex on that side. The corners look pretty sharp, I would radius those a little more so they don't catch cover garments. Also, CANT! lol, drawing that firearm would be easier if the muzzle was canted towards your back further to get the grip up in the air. Personal preference, so maybe you prefer a 90º muzzle. They also conceal better with some cant I have found.

Another option is to take a single piece of kydex, after taking it out of the heat, place in the press, lay the prepared gun in position, and then flap the kydex over the top. This way you can halve the number of screws you need and reduce the amount of finishing work. Also makes a lighter and less bulky holster. Requires a single wide belt-through retention clip, but for IWB with a good belt it's fine.

Thought about getting some leather and doing hybrid holsters? Leather backed kydex for IWB stuff? Those are my preference for EDC. I don't like kydex on the skin side of the holster.

OP
dknisle1

dknisle1

Jan 25, 2014
Not bad! Really good for your first one! I did it for a while on a friends press, I'm not patient enough with finishing and my prefered holsters require leather work that I'm not willing to get into.

My only suggestion would be, the chicago screws/rivets could be closer to the trigger side and you could remove a lot of that kydex on that side. The corners look pretty sharp, I would radius those a little more so they don't catch cover garments. Also, CANT! lol, drawing that firearm would be easier if the muzzle was canted towards your back further to get the grip up in the air. Personal preference, so maybe you prefer a 90º muzzle. They also conceal better with some cant I have found.

Another option is to take a single piece of kydex, after taking it out of the heat, place in the press, lay the prepared gun in position, and then flap the kydex over the top. This way you can halve the number of screws you need and reduce the amount of finishing work. Also makes a lighter and less bulky holster. Requires a single wide belt-through retention clip, but for IWB with a good belt it's fine.

Thought about getting some leather and doing hybrid holsters? Leather backed kydex for IWB stuff? Those are my preference for EDC. I don't like kydex on the skin side of the holster.
We will work our way Into IWB with leather backing. We just wanted to see how well the straight Kydex turned out. We are very pleased with it. Thank you for all the info and feedback.

OP
dknisle1

dknisle1

Jan 25, 2014
That the 226 or 8? I love the eight's balance, more so than the 6
P226. Best gun I've ever owned. I have a Short Reset trigger installed and it shoots like a dream. It's a nail driver. I would like a P229 also in .357 Sig

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
P226. Best gun I've ever owned. I have a Short Reset trigger installed and it shoots like a dream. It's a nail driver. I would like a P229 also in .357 Sig
I love both, but I like the 228, because the balance is way further back, let's me sight in and out and switch targets easily, I have only ever used that, the 226, and a ruger 1911, we do a target course at a make shift "kill house" my Dziadziau set up in his yard. The 228 is by far my favorite.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I hope it doesn't interfere with your downswing ... o_O

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Not into blondes really...and those ear rings don't lend themselves well to hunting or battle.

The thermal on the SCAR would be badass though...I want a SCAR something fierce...the thermal would just be icing on the cake.

I want a couple other FN weapons as well....but they're all just so expensive.

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
[QUOTE ="eclark53520, post: 435389, member: 3701"]Not into blondes really...and those ear rings don't lend themselves well to hunting or battle.

The thermal on the SCAR would be badass though...I want a SCAR something fierce...the thermal would just be icing on the cake.

I want a couple other FN weapons as well....but they're all just so expensive.[/QUOTE]that's not a thermal, it's just an elcan specter DR, with a glare hider on the lense.
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1411485829.022559.jpg
it's a 1-4x variable magnification, with holographic illumination...

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Splunge...I don't believe those are the same sights...They're very different visually.

Hers is much longer....giggity. They're both mounted so that the rear of the sight is in the same position, however, her's goes to the front of the ejection port while the sight you suggest it is goes to the middle of the ejection port.

I'm fairly positive it's a thermal(or night vision), but I could be wrong. It's way to big to just be a holographic sight though...IMO.

Last edited:

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.