• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

my swing looks funny to me.. pic

J.J.

May 13, 2007
before anyone wonders why my lower body doesn't look like most peoples do is because that is the only way i can go through the swing motions due to hip injuries.. i broke both hips playing baseball and thats the only way i can really turn my lower body without getting excruciating pains in my hips.. (it sucks being 18 years old with the hips of a 90 year old)

but as far as my upper body and the position of the club, do you see anything i need to change? i've yet to take any lessons because my swing actually works really well for me but is it really as funny looking as it seems to me?

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v721_pewter00_me.jpg

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Man funny lookin works!

Plus, if you try and take lessons, theyre guna mess with you cause he'll try and fix your weight shift/turn (which as you point out cant be done).

But if you can find a good instructor to work around and understand your injury, then get them to help you out.

Me, id say try and keep some space between your shoulders and the club at the top of the backswing and maybe shorten it up a bit to control it with the weirder turn. (just my 2 cents).

flomarilius

Nike staffer :)
Jun 19, 2006
try the stack and tilt. Should work for you because all the weight is retained at the front. Backswing might just be a bit too long from what the picture indicates. But hey! w/e works

JasonM

May 27, 2007
What you have to realize is that the ONLY thing that matters is clubface and ball...how you look getting there means nothing. Look at Gay Brewer, Lee Trevino, Furyk. They don't look pretty, but they do the right thing with the clubface.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
I understand your pain. A piper said, try to get a better hand position at the top. Think WIDTH on your backswing to get a big arc, and to do this your left arm must not bend at the elbow.

Take a look at this picture I took of a young pro on the Hooters Tour. He was in the process of hitting his driver off the deck. Look at his arm position.
Kyle Vasel.JPG

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Straighten your left arm!! You're losing power and distance. (Might have to also shorten your backswing when you do that). :)

OP
J

J.J.

May 13, 2007
thanks for the help guys.. i'll go to the range in a bit and try to keep the left arm straight

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Yup if you cannot do anything about the lower body...simply try to keep your left arm straight. That's the best you can do.

Sorry about your hips.

Have they been replaced?

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
your wrist position is going to cause you to hit slices, you want to try to keep it flat. I am assuming you have an over the top move at the ball with that position? I could be wrong since I cannot see the full execution of the swing but from that picture alone I would suspect that.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
It's tragic that someone so young has such severe physical problems that it interferes with their game.

My nephew is 30 years old...stands 6'2" and weighs 210. He has broken his left ankle so many times that it has become inoperable. Something as athletic as playing golf causes it to swell twice its normal size.

I count my lucky stars...52 yo and can play day after day and not have a problem other than just getting pooped out. Back is fine, shoulders etc.

Of course, in the past 20 years, I haven't lifed an object that weighs more than 40 pounds - on purpose. I refuse to do it.

The biggest thing I pick up each month is a big bag of dry dog food from Costco. Other than that, I have refused to lift anything of significant weight for decades. I am pretty confident this has helped me.

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
It's tragic that someone so young has such severe physical problems that it interferes with their game.

My nephew is 30 years old...stands 6'2" and weighs 210. He has broken his left ankle so many times that it has become inoperable. Something as athletic as playing golf causes it to swell twice its normal size.

I count my lucky stars...52 yo and can play day after day and not have a problem other than just getting pooped out. Back is fine, shoulders etc.

Of course, in the past 20 years, I haven't lifed an object that weighs more than 40 pounds - on purpose. I refuse to do it.

The biggest thing I pick up each month is a big bag of dry dog food from Costco. Other than that, I have refused to lift anything of significant weight for decades. I am pretty confident this has helped me.

Yep, the back and knees are not designed very well on the human body. I like to stretch my back out as much as possible with one of those huge balls that you inflate.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country

Bravo

This logic makes sense. I'm 60 now and two years ago was letting a 500 lb. couch down. Left hand was on a low "drawer" at the bottom and didn't realize it. The drawer came open just as I was lowering it (tipped back on back legs) and it tore my bisep severely. It was black from my bisep to my forearm (tore those muscles too) and like an idiot I didn't go to emergency room as I could still move the arm. I should have had surgery and now it's too late. My bisep on the left arm is weird looking and I can't lift half of what I can with my right arm without pain. Luckily it hasn't affected my golf game. Learned the hard way. :(

jkilla217

May 25, 2007
its not all about technique....i set up about 45 degrees open have a flying elbow and rock it past our club pro...its about hitting the ball solid and strait anything you can do to do that....DO IT!!!!!!

OP
J

J.J.

May 13, 2007
thanks for all the info guys.. i've been working on keeping my elbow straight.. its alot harder than it seems but i'm gettin better and better.. check the sig to see my new low game :)

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.