• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Navistar LPGA Classic Rant (Spoiler)

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
I'm talking to myself again. Another tourney with lousy television coverage and almost no press. What's with the Golf Channel showing it at 6:30 pm? It didn't even rate a paragraph in today's sports section. According to the leaderboard, Lorena Ochoa's ahead, for the first time in months. I wish I could be watching it.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
From what I understand, the LPGA has to buy their own TV coverage. They are in real financial difficulties right now and some sponsors are dropping their tourneys completely.

Tough economic times are here and really affecting some entertainment like the LPGA.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I'm glad it was delayed so I could watch it after football. :) Hope they get the ship righted as I enjoy watching the LPGA tourneys.

Buy their own TV coverage? Sounds kind of "sexist" to me...

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I would not be at all surprised to see the LPGA in its current form all but vanish over the next few years. Other than golf (up to this point), no women's sport has ever really succeeded in the mainstream, at least no with anything resembling longevity. Men watch sports, and we dont tend to watch the female version.

OP
ClairefromClare

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
I'm glad it was delayed so I could watch it after football. :) Hope they get the ship righted as I enjoy watching the LPGA tourneys.

Buy their own TV coverage? Sounds kind of "sexist" to me...

I suppose they also didn't want to compete with the Players, but they did finish up against the Bears game.

The LPGA doesn't have the clout to demand coverage; it still has to buy it. Despite her utter tone deafness, Bivens has made some savvy financial moves. I hope she can keep the tour intact until the economy turns around. Yes, there have been some cancellations (no match play this year, from what I can see), but she's also added events. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
It didn't even rate a paragraph in today's sports section.

Sports, golf included, were invented for men. You ladies are to be kept home, barefoot, in the kitchen, and... whenever necessary... pregnant!!!! :wow::wow::wow:

See how brave I can be, knowing my wife and daughters can't read a post like that????? More seriously...

There is some awesome talent on the LPGA. In reality, we weekend hackers could play a much better game of golf if we were to copy the short game habits of the ladies rather than trying to be macho "bang and gouge", long hitters like the PGA. The LPGA plays yardages much closer to what we play. The LPGA's driving distances are much closer to ours. Yet, for some reason, we are reluctant to follow some of the most competitive golf that can be had.

I still do believe the contract with the PGA and TGC has hurt the game. Don't tell me more folks watch rugby, Scrabble, or poker on ESPN than would watch some of the major LPGA events. Yet, we have little or no chance to watch the LPGA if we don't have TGC available.

And, the LPGA does have some internal issues. Ms. Blevins has been a disaster. There were rumors floating around that Anika would be the next commissioner. Supposedly, she was going to get married soon after the season ends and devote some time to running the LPGA. I don't see that happening anytime soon. In the meantime, the LPGA just can't survive much more of Blevins. They MUST get someone with close ties to the Tour, with marketing saavy, if they are too survive. You can be certain, additional sponsors will drop at the end of this season. The economy is tough and I can't see where corporate American could see any ROI for LPGA exposure.... when there isn't any exposure!!!

No, Claire... we are missing out on the privilege of witnessing some great golf when we miss watching the LPGA events.

OP
ClairefromClare

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
You know, Limp, I am really sick of my job right now. No Tour ties, and even worse, no diplomatic skills. :killersmiley:(<-- my management style) But I would love to run the LPGA.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
You know, Limp, I am really sick of my job right now. No Tour ties, and even worse, no diplomatic skills. :killersmiley:(<-- my management style) But I would love to run the LPGA.

Don't know you... don't know your qualifications... don't know if you can speak English:laugh:... but, you could do no worse than the current commish!!!!

OP
ClairefromClare

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
Sadly, I'm more tactician than strategist. I belong as COO, not CEO. Maybe Annika as the visionary, and I'll get the job done.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Require them to all wear skimpy outfits and the ratings would go up... :D

Sorry Claire, couldn't help myself (but it is true). Sex sells everything now days... :)

Look at beach volleyball.... Or even regular volleyball.... :)

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Th only advantage the LPGA has is a slightly lower tournament cost, due to purses only being 1/5 of the PGAs. If all the players looked like Natalie or Paula, that would help.

But..... the fact is, very few people are willing to pay for tournament tickets, and almost nobody watches the LPGA on TV, so TV ad revenue is low.

Heck, I thought my GF would at least watch a little of the LPGA on TV, but she starts snoring 10 minutes after the telecast starts. She did love watching the Ryder Cup, because it was exciting golf. The Solheim Cup has not been able to match that, IMHO.

In this really bad economy, the LPGA is in a real bind.

OP
ClairefromClare

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
This week's broadcast times are no better, though I apparently missed Paula Creamer's temper tantrum yesterday.

At least I'll be on the course tomorrow myself, so I won't know what I'm not seeing.

🔥 Latest posts