• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New? 3 wood

Tmgris

Jan 14, 2013
Middle Georgia
Country
United States United States
I am currently hitting the taylormade burner 2.0 3 wood...
I hit it well
Love the shape of head for off tee
or off the deck
I have hit a few buddies RBZ and about the same club but monstrous results

My question is knowing that the new RBZ is about to come out
and is supposed to be hotter
Do I buy it or
Save the money and buy the original RBZ and a reduced price due to new model being out?

I know it is ultimately my choice just looking for input also if you know any other suggestions for 3 woods and can make a solid argument feel free
Thanks

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
To me the only club I'm interested in getting max distance is the driver. I use the 3wd to fill a gap. That's why I play a V-Steel with a steel shaft at 42". I like the way it looks, I like the ball flight, and the distance fills the gap perfectly for my game.

OP
Tmgris

Tmgris

Jan 14, 2013
Middle Georgia
Country
I hit my 3 wood mostly on
long par 5's
par 5's that dog leg Long into green
or short par 4's

Can always take a little bit off a 3 wood a lot easier than trying to muscle up on a wood off the ground

My take is if I'm ever in a situation that a firm solid 3 wood won't get me to green then I have no other club option so why not have the longest 3 wood I can in the bag... Plenty of clubs I can hit shorter...

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
We play our par 5s differently which is fine. If I can't reach in 2 I just hit to the yardage I'm comfortable hitting my approach from. I also tee off with the 3 wd on holes shorter than 390 yards.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
We play our par 5s differently which is fine. If I can't reach in 2 I just hit to the yardage I'm comfortable hitting my approach from. I also tee off with the 3 wd on holes shorter than 390 yards.
This is pretty much my approach except I don't have a 3w so on the shorter par 4's I hit 2h or 3i.

In short... get the new RBZ.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I don't use a 3 wood much when I'm playing stroke play. Unless I have a wide open green, I'll try to leave myself with 90-110 yards if I can't reach it with a hybrid. I spend a lot of time with my SW, so I try to stay in my comfort zone. I play scared but smart golf. I honestly hit my 3I off the tee as much as I do my driver at most of the courses I play. I just try to hit fairways and greens. If I'm patient, birdies will eventually come, I try not to force the issue. I catch a lot of hell from one of my buddies, it secretly drives him crazy, lol.

Now, I seem to get invited to a lot of charity scrambles and that is a whole different ballgame. Then I play really aggressive.

OP
Tmgris

Tmgris

Jan 14, 2013
Middle Georgia
Country
Just started playing golf with a guy who doesn't hit a driver he carries a exotics 13* 3 wood

Spackler33

Oct 1, 2010
If you're hitting your current 3w "well" and you like how it looks, why upgrade? Obviously, it's your money, but I like to follow the "if it ain't broke..." line of thought. The technology from the orginal RBZ isn't going to be much different from the new one, so if you don't want to spend as much, get the older one. Do yourself a big favor and have it fitted; if you are going to spend the cash, you should go the extra step and make sure it works for you.

OP
Tmgris

Tmgris

Jan 14, 2013
Middle Georgia
Country
Anything I spend money on I try to get it as personalized as possible there is no point in spending X amount of money on a club and not having a shaft that fits your swing in it... So I normally get fitted and re shaft most clubs...
I do hit mine well but I hit the newer ones well +10 or 20 yards....

OP
Tmgris

Tmgris

Jan 14, 2013
Middle Georgia
Country
My mind was pretty much made up yesterday I was playing in a 2 man scramble my buddy shanked his drive in the water on a par 5 and to make sure we had a solid playable ball on this dog leg I hit my hybrid off tee instead of cutting the corner as I would normally try with my driver... On the second shot I hit about the squarest 3 wood I could and came up short about 5-10 yards ended up splitting the hole with the guys we were playing against... Not saying we would have made the eagle putt but it would have been nice to have had the opportunity...

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
My mind was pretty much made up yesterday I was playing in a 2 man scramble my buddy shanked his drive in the water on a par 5 and to make sure we had a solid playable ball on this dog leg I hit my hybrid off tee instead of cutting the corner as I would normally try with my driver... On the second shot I hit about the squarest 3 wood I could and came up short about 5-10 yards ended up splitting the hole with the guys we were playing against... Not saying we would have made the eagle putt but it would have been nice to have had the opportunity...
So what if the RBZ TP 2.0 Superfast is not all it's cracked up to be and it's really no longer? Adams claims to have a million yards for you, that's got to be a viable option.

On a serious note, if you were looking for more yards I've always heard TEE 3 woods are all that and a bag of chips.

Virge666

Jan 28, 2013
Country
Australia Australia
I'd be very wary about buying a new 3wood if you hit your current one well.
If you do decide to upgrade, don't get rid of your old one straight away. Unlike the driver, an older model 3 wood can do the job just as well as the latest and greatest.
Just have to look at how many tour players carry older model fairway woods yet very few play older model drivers.
There are always exceptions but as a rule they tend to hang on to a fairway wood longer than any other club in the bag except maybe the putter.
I've been guily of changing in the past and regretting it :-(

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
So what if the RBZ TP 2.0 Superfast is not all it's cracked up to be and it's really no longer? Adams claims to have a million yards for you, that's got to be a viable option.

On a serious note, if you were looking for more yards I've always heard TEE 3 woods are all that and a bag of chips.
Tour Edge Exotics!

If you don't have one, get one. Find a shaft you like and put it in.

Once you do that you won't be looking for a 3wd again, ever.

I'm still playing the CB1 and am going to get another off eBay for backup.

OP
Tmgris

Tmgris

Jan 14, 2013
Middle Georgia
Country
So update time went to a out of town private course that is part of the course community At which I am a member

They had a much larger pro shop and plenty of demos
This was a perfect opportunity because our 1 pm tee time was pushed due to a hour frost delay in the morning...
I was able to hit my current
TM burner 2.0 3 wood
Original RBZ 3 wood
New stage 2 3 wood
Exotics XCG 3 wood
Adams super s 3 wood
And callaway x hot 3 wood

Here is a brief summary not so much review
note they were all stock (S) shafts
I hit equal shots with all clubs from tee and from ground

If you currently hit a original RBZ I would not put the money down for a stage 2 unless you just have to have it... I could not tell any difference in feel and was carrying the ball the about the same although both were a huge improvement over my 2.0 burner

The exotics was very nice had a solid feel to it very smooth had great flight and was a little hotter than the taylormade clubs but I could not hit it well off the ground at all...

Callaway xhot was a great club hit well both off tee and off the deck just didn't have the same smooth impact launch feel that's hard to explain as some of the others

The Adams super S went home in my bag I hit it equally on the range but also hit it 2 times in my round very impressive smooth off tee and off deck I hit it once in fairway and once out of light ruff during my round
amazing club super hot
Easy to hit
Awesome penetrating climbing launch lands soft and somehow still has tons of distance

🔥 Latest posts