• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Driver Prices

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Being a driver ho I like to see what's new. What I noticed is no one is making a driver that I would be interested in but they're now charging outrageous prices for them. Do people really pay that much for them? Anyone in here drop $400-$500 for a new driver this year?

I wouldn't care if they dropped all this adjustable garbage and just went back to the old cheaper way of making the clubs. But then I suppose if they did that they'd still charge these prices because they're all greedy buggers.

I'm assuming no one in here is buying these things because there would be reviews up.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
No way will I pay new prices. I just saw Charl Schwartzel's WITB and he's still using the Nike VR Pro Ltd. At least 3 releases ago. He's sensible enough to stick with something that works.

J.P.C.

Aug 31, 2010
Cape Town, South Africa
Country
South Africa South Africa
yip, haven't dropped a cent on drivers in the last two or three years.....R1 i won in a competition, Jetspeed TM gave me free. oh wait, i spent money on the Adams Speedline driver....but that was like $25 if i remember correctly.....was last year some time, played one roound with it and dropped it out of the bag.....

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I personally don't buy new drivers, but there are loads that do. Our local Golftown always has guys walking out the front door with an armload of the new sticks.

Which is good news for me, as more of them out there will then ultimately come up for sale at a significant discount.

R35

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
The only golf clubs I have ever bought new off the shelf are my wedges....and I had to put them together.

I wouldn't call them greedy. I would do the same thing, they're in the business of making money. They're going to sell those clubs for whatever price makes them the most money. They get the early adopters at $500, then they lower it to $400 and get the next round of people, then they lower it to $250 etc etc etc.

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I bought the TM RBZ driver when it first came out, $425 here in NZ. I had a $100 voucher for the golf store but I don't know why I done it. I've vowed to never buy new clubs from a golf shop again. Unless it's a decent used/display model and cheap enough.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
I refuse to pay more than $80 for a driver and I usually get like or near-new for that. It's just not this or last year's model. They all work really well when you put a good swing on them. I got a NEW PING K15 from a DSG close out for $71, for example. My Cobra S2 (in FLA) was new at $69. The deals are out there.....................

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
Drivers don't stop working just because they are a year or more old. They stop working when I put one in my hands.

Don't forget the inverse relationship theorem = the more you pay for a driver, the sooner it starts to hit the ball sideways.........................

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
It's all marketing bs anyways, never has been and never will be a magical club that will instantly add 20-30-40 yds to your drives or eliminate slicing, topping, etc. Every yr they proclaim that their newest invention far surpasses their old clubs, well hell if you do the math and get 20+ yds every yr then everyone here would be hitting em out there 800+ yds right down the middle.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
It's all marketing bs anyways, never has been and never will be a magical club that will instantly add 20-30-40 yds to your drives or eliminate slicing, topping, etc. Every yr they proclaim that their newest invention far surpasses their old clubs, well hell if you do the math and get 20+ yds every yr then everyone here would be hitting em out there 800+ yds right down the middle.
I've got the 800 yard drive out of bounds and off the planet hook or slice!!!

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
Doesn't matter how old your driver is, as long as it's properly tuned, shafted, fits your swing characteristics, and isn't dead/damaged. For example, guy might not hit the G25 well, still a fairly new club, but doesn't work for him. Tries G30 LS, could easily gain 20 yds from less spin, and the correct launch°

But that's not what your saying, I do get what your saying, and you are right.

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Doesn't matter how old your driver is, as long as it's properly tuned, shafted, fits your swing characteristics, and isn't dead/damaged. For example, guy might not hit the G25 well, still a fairly new club, but doesn't work for him. Tries G30 LS, could easily gain 20 yds from less spin, and the correct launch°

But that's not what your saying, I do get what your saying, and you are right.
Da fuq you trying to say? Lol.

Members online

No members online now.