1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Rule Changes (1 January 2019)

Discussion in 'General Golf Talk' started by TheTrueReview, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Libre

Libre Well-Known Member

United States United States
    Now that the new rules have been in effect for awhile, and without even reading my opinion above, I think the flagstick rule change is terrible. Sure, it can speed up play which was the stated objective and I don't mind that. But it doesn't speed up pro play (an additional decision to be made and they have caddies to tend anyway) and it changes the MOST fundamental aspect of golf - hit the ball into the hole. This backstopping has gotten on my nerves. It doesn't look right and it changes putting fundamentally, and if putting changes the whole game changes.
    The other thing is the drop height. It should be between knee height and (fill it in - waist height, shoulder height - head height - whatever). But not just knee height. I think Poulter had the same type of comment. Fowler was (unjustly in my opinion) penalized yesterday when he dropped from the shoulder and wasn't corrected by his caddie. Come on. All rules and requirements need a range (a tolerance) within which you must operate. So between knee and shoulder height would serve well enough. What if someone is .25 inches below or above the knee? Is that a violation? .125 inch? 2 or 3 inches? There needs to be a range, rather than exact values to avoid this kind of confusion. It's actually IMPOSSIBLE to drop a ball from exactly knee height - even with sophisticated measuring instruments like lasers and GPS. It's impossible to drop from knee height precisely. So it becomes a judgement call. THIS IS WRONG! It was never an issue before they monkeyed with the rule, but the shoulder height requirement is just as impossible to meet. The people who did this don't know how to construct good, unambiguous requirements. And I do. I was a pro at it although in aerospace/defense, not in golf. But many of the same principles apply.

2. TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview "Playing it straight" Supporting Member

Australia Australia
    The only change I disagree with is the 3 minute search. The reason for the change was based on a false premise; ie. that all searches took 5 minutes. When a ball was obviously lost, in my experience, the player would move on.