• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Newcomer needs some advice

effec

Apr 11, 2008
I'm new to golf, i've actually haven't hit a ball since high school. Back then no one wanted to go to the range. Everyone wanted to go to parties and the movies etc... same deal now in college. In fact, ever since I moved out to NY, its just much harder to get out to a range.

I'm looking to start really learning about the sport ive always wanted to play but never made time for. I plan to move back to surburbia :) once college is over and would love to play on some real courses one day.

But how can i start? From everything i've read , everyone advises me to get some lessons or instruction before i even think of buying a set of clubs. Thing is, lessons here in NY are ridiculously expensive, and from the horror stories of local pro shops ive read, id rather stay away.

An option is to go drive out to gold galaxy in new jersey and get their lessons and fittings, but i haven't read great review there either. I dont know what to do?

The game plan is to hit the range and work on the short game for a couple of months then start up a 9 hole game mid year.

Cliffs

-Noob wants to learn the game the right way
-Should I get fitted at a pro shop or will golf galaxy do?
-Should I buy a set or piece together one?
-How do i find a good place for lessons and fittings?

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
Piece a set together. Box sets are terrible quality.

Being fitted in golf galaxy isnt always a great experience, as with all major retail chains. You need to find a smaller local store, with a guy that knows everything about clubs.

Lessons should be taken at your home course. I would not ever take lessons from someone at golf galaxy or a big chain store. While instructors at some of the stores nationwide may be good, chances are that you will not get a good one.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Make friends with a scratch golfer. He will teach you how to play and will probably have a garage full of clubs he isn't using.

rubber314chicken

Thats what she said
Dec 27, 2007
study the swings of pros, and try to notice all the consistancies they have. then make sure your swing has that.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Get a minimal set of clubs, A driver, fairway wood, a putter and a set of irons. All standard & reg flex. Stay middle of the road, no blades or super game improvement clubs. Get good quality used stuff, but you really don't need the latest shiny new gear. Be cheap, you'll replace them in 6 months. You can fill a bag for $250.

Get a lesson from a pro at your local muni, learn the basics of a golf swing, then beat your 7 iron to death on a range until you can consistently make contact and send the ball in the same direction with a consistent distance. Your objective is to build a repeatable golf swing you're comfortable with.

Then get another lesson and fix your swing flaws, again a bunch of range time 5 iron and shorter. Then play several rounds on a par 3 course, get comfortable on a course with shorter irons. Learn to putt, and buy a proper wedge.

Get another lesson, learn to hit a driver, and a wedge. Play and practice until you're comfortable, and have a sense of confidence in your game. Get at least one round a week, and one range session a week in. Start working on FW woods & long irons.

At this stage you'll be able to get fitted into proper shafts and club styles, by the end of the summer, you'll be Golferman!

Go Hawks

Just Go For It...
Apr 8, 2008
When I got back into golf a decade ago I went to Costco and spent $200 on a set of Golden Bears. Woods, irons, putter, and bag... I saw Jack's new set there today for $250. They were decent quality and at the price - tough to go wrong. I shouldn't admit this, but I still use the 3 and 5 woods. I hit them straight 4 out of 5 times and my 3 wood gets up and goes (I avg. 250 yards with it - how do I dump that?).

As I was told back then - lessons for a newbie will help the score and experience a lot more than expensive clubs. Perhaps one of the courses near you has affordable group lessons.

Good luck!

joe111

Apr 8, 2008
I noticed that set at Costco too and was orginally gonna buy that before I came on the forums and read to stay away from those complete sets. Do you know anything about that set? I don't know, I'll probably buy stuff separately like the guys on the forum say, but I was originally thinking of that set because it seemed nicer that sets sold at Walmart.

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
I noticed that set at Costco too and was orginally gonna buy that before I came on the forums and read to stay away from those complete sets. Do you know anything about that set? I don't know, I'll probably buy stuff separately like the guys on the forum say, but I was originally thinking of that set because it seemed nicer that sets sold at Walmart.

Golden Bear is near the top of my boxed set list, but its nowhere near the quality of the major companies(taylormade, titleist, ping, mizuno, callaway)

joe111

Apr 8, 2008
Just out of curiousity, how would you explain the quality differences just so I can understand them better? Is it the woods that aren't that good, or is it the irons, or is it everything? Is it something that only very good golfers would notice a difference in, or anybody? I just figured sets would be cheaper than individual pieces for the same reason anything you buy is cheaper if you get more of it. But that doesn't sound like the case here so I am just trying to understand it better. Thanks.

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
Just out of curiousity, how would you explain the quality differences just so I can understand them better? Is it the woods that aren't that good, or is it the irons, or is it everything? Is it something that only very good golfers would notice a difference in, or anybody? I just figured sets would be cheaper than individual pieces for the same reason anything you buy is cheaper if you get more of it. But that doesn't sound like the case here so I am just trying to understand it better. Thanks.

Quality Control is much worse, as well as just the technologies in the clubs. I wouldnt say that the irons are worse than the fairways, or vice versa. Basically they are all equally bad.

And anybody can and will notice the differences. Actually the worse the golfer, the more likely they are to notice an improvement in their game with better fitted clubs.(up to 30 or so handicap according to wishon)

Go Hawks

Just Go For It...
Apr 8, 2008

The Golden Bears are a decent set of clubs. They aren't great, but as a beginning golfer you won't know what kind of clubs you will want yet (I think the set was actually $200 here, not $250). I have a set of Callaway X-14 irons and love them, but a guy a golf with from time to time can't hit them worth beans.

I'm not the quality of golfer that a lot of the guys on this forum are - that could be a good or bad thing in giving you my thoughts - but it would be a shame for you to spend $1,000 putting a bag together only to find out you didn't get what will suit your game a year from now. Stay away from the generic box sets from Walmart or Target, but Jack didn't put out a set of crap. They will be a good stater set for you to use while you are finding your game.

Let me know how it goes!

🔥 Latest posts