• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

NFL draft rapidly approaching!!!

Hackin_Away

Feb 13, 2009
With all the lockout bs going on, I am looking forward to the draft for some actually exciting NFL type activities, haha.

So, who is YOUR team and who are you hoping they get in the 1st.....and 2nd+ (if you feel like goin that far)!
Detroit Lions!
While in a perfect world the Lions would get Von Miller, cuz he is a beast. However, I have a better chance at a hole in one then Von Miller has falling to #13 :-(

However,
1st Tyron Smith - Time to find a replacement for Backus, guys 34, hasn't ever been great @ left tackle. While he sometimes makes a good play now and then he blows a lot of bad ones. Like to see if with offensive line improvement, we can get 6 consecutive starts out of Stafford. That'd be improvement. Now if Amakumara is on the board here still...toughy haha.

2nd I actually don't even care here. Could go Linebacker, DE, etc to help continue to build defense, or a CB if its worth it. I really think LB/CB would be better for NOW...since I think our DE's could easily suffice one more year.

3rd Who knows what else lol....best available i got faith in the office!

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
1st: Corner: Aaron Williams. We need a strong corner opposite Ike Taylor. Bottom line.

2nd: OT. The tackle more than the guard, we can move our LT to guard.

3rd: OG.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Well, its a pitty with all this Strike the draft doesn't seem to have the "emotion" from other years...

But anyway...

Well, I don't think the Bears are getting too much this year from the draft, but I guess the needs are as follow:

1. OL: We need at least two new people here. Maybe Chris Williams will finally do something this year and make up for the first round selection he was given. I'd say we need a first and third round pick in here if we want Cutler to stay healthy for the seasson

2. We need a WR, no doubt. Knox and company have done some good work, but there is not one really intimidating no. 1 receiver there. I stil think we should have pushed for Boldin last year but, well, anyway, position needs to be covered.

4. Giving the third pick to the OL as well, takes us to a forth pick where I would say there is a need for a CB. Position is covered, but I don't know for how much longer.

5. I'll draft a QB. I'm not convinced with Cutler yet, but even if I was, I think you should draft one every "draft" (sorry for the redundance). You never know ehn the next hidden jewel is going to afloat.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Xam...i have to ask, being from the land down under, what caused you to be a fan of the bears?

If you have already covered this, i apologize, i must have missed it.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Xam...i have to ask, being from the land down under, what caused you to be a fan of the bears?

If you have already covered this, i apologize, i must have missed it.

No worries! :D

First of all, I live in Sydney, but was not born here: I was born in South America. I lived in NY my first three years of life (My father is a U.S. Resident). My father, as a "typical" New Yorker is a die hard Yankee-Knick-Giants fan. My parents divorced then and I came back to South America. I usually went to visit him for Xmas when the NFL seasson was on. The first game I ever watched was a Giants vs Bears game, and since my father cheered for the Giants, in my resentment to him I had to cheer for the opposite team :D, so I started chearing for Chicago. That Chirstmas after seing my enthusiasm for football, my father got me a Bears piyama and a jersey, and I got a "little" helmet and a fridge magnet hehehe. We watched every Sunday and Monday night football game together when I visited him. Time passed and I never saw my father again, but my love for the NFL was intact and I was able to watch the whole seasson back home since we had ESPN and FOX Sports.

I travelled to Australia in 1999 to start my Medical Degree there. Unfortunately, back then, there was NO ESPN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My mother used to record the Bears game in VCR for me, so I watched them when I came home for Chirstmas. Thanksfully now a days ESPN is on, and I can follow the regular season without any problem!!!!

So, I've never played football in my entire life, and had to learn the game from watching over the years since there was no one back home and obviously no one here to teach me so, but for some strange reason I have this unconditional love for the NFL and my Chicago Bears, and I have to say its my favorite sport to watch ever. Since I can't go to any game, I try to do "my part" and support my team, so I buy a new t-shirt every year to begin the seasson with.

Funny story, uh? lol

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
The draft was designated to happen in the previous CBA.

Also, the Packers even have to draft, believe it or not. How many teams have repeat in history? Don't get arrogant now Packer fans.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
To repeat a Superbowl victory now is harder then ever. You might make it there but the whole league is really so balanced it just is a matter of who gets the "swagger" at the right time. And you have to have a good QB. But I doubt the Steelers will be there again this year. They need to fill some spots too. (Aaron Rodgers showed them which ones)....

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
Packers need help/depth at OT. Clifton won't play too much longer. They need a kick returner and another wideout as Driver is showing some age, bless his heart.

Xamilo. Never too late to abandon those flatland losers and became a real football fan by backing the Packers. We'll take you.

Kevin

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
The draft was designated to happen in the previous CBA.

Also, the Packers even have to draft, believe it or not. How many teams have repeat in history? Don't get arrogant now Packer fans.

I agree.

The NFL has become so competitive in the last few years, its IMPOSSIBLE to predict even who is getting to the playoffs. Pittsburgh win one year, don't go to the playoffs next one, and then back to the Superbowl. Minnesota was the biggest contender last year and finished last in their division. Dallas was supposed to play the Superbowl at home, and they got the worst record in their division (or was it Washington? Anyway, they sucked).

Sometimes it takes just a new drafter player to win a SB like it happened with Big Ben. Sometimes losing a key player for 2-3 games and having no back-up in that position is enough to throw a season to the garbage.

And players get old, and one year's performance is no security for next year....

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Totally agree. The draft, given the labor situation, is now HUGE. So important. Imagine being the Niners right now? New coach, they need a new QB. Even if they draft him, will they be able to work with him any time soon? What kid, if players and coaches can get back together in July, will pick up the most easily?

Teams with established QBs and rosters (Packers, Colts, Steelers) are in a bit better spot. Still.

Outside of Pittsburgh I want to see Tampa do well, they had a good thing last year and a good draft and work could make them much stronger. If they can overcome a hurdle of this labor deal successfully, I'll be very impressed.

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
That's the beauty of the Packers. They have built the team they have almost exclusively through the draft. They picked up Woodson as a medium price free agent and Pickett as low to medium free agent. Other than that, it's all drafted players, undrafted free agents, a guys other team cast off. It is awesome. And Thompson collects draft picks. They have a bunch this year. More than they need. They can trade up and down in the draft like nothing, and most likely will.

The Steelers operate much the same way, as do the Patriots.

Of course it helps to know talent.

Kevin

Kevin

Members online

No members online now.