• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

NFL Season 2010

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
No, my idea of a true fan is someone who sticks with their team through think and thin. Hell, I'm a Michigan fan.

Why?

I have, at best, a vague interest in Syracuse because it's the only team I'd ever consider paying to see play due to proximity. They have a player now who I watched in high school a few times and was very impressed with. I can't imagine being a fan of a team though, because a team is just a jersey.

I love watching Tom Brady play, and Peyton, and whoever else can exemplify the skill of their position. I love watching receivers make incredible catches. I loved watching Urlacher. I genuinely do not understand why, or how, anyone gives a crap about a team. It's an ever changing thing defined by a color and a location. Who cares? Does it make you more involved in the game if you have some arbitrary connection to one of them or something? Maybe so. When I sit down to watch football, which is often, I never really care who is playing or who wins. I want to see the GAME. I will only follow a team if they're showing me that they really know how to play the game.

Being a fan of PLAYERS I totally understand and sympathize with. But, "I'm a Michigan fan," is just so ridiculous to me. Idiots.

shep3470

Apr 5, 2009
Omaha, NE
Why?

I have, at best, a vague interest in Syracuse because it's the only team I'd ever consider paying to see play due to proximity. They have a player now who I watched in high school a few times and was very impressed with. I can't imagine being a fan of a team though, because a team is just a jersey.

I love watching Tom Brady play, and Peyton, and whoever else can exemplify the skill of their position. I love watching receivers make incredible catches. I loved watching Urlacher. I genuinely do not understand why, or how, anyone gives a crap about a team. It's an ever changing thing defined by a color and a location. Who cares? Does it make you more involved in the game if you have some arbitrary connection to one of them or something? Maybe so. When I sit down to watch football, which is often, I never really care who is playing or who wins. I want to see the GAME. I will only follow a team if they're showing me that they really know how to play the game.

Being a fan of PLAYERS I totally understand and sympathize with. But, "I'm a Michigan fan," is just so ridiculous to me. Idiots.

Picking the best of the best (Payton, Brady, Etc..) is just so idiodic. Picking the best to watch is just saying you have no testicular fortitude to handle a down year for a team.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Picking the best of the best (Payton, Brady, Etc..) is just so idiodic. Picking the best to watch is just saying you have no testicular fortitude to handle a down year for a team.

Lol. If what you do makes you happy, I'm happy for you. But suggesting that someone's mental or testicular aptitude depends on whether or not they arbitrarily follow a jersey/color is a little out-there. You didn't answer the first paragraph of my post, which I can repeat quickly:

Why? (- do you like Michigan?)

Yes, it's so foolish to want to watch and follow the best players-- the guys who consistently bring the most impressive abilities and playmaking to the game. What a woman I must be! My "team" can't have a down year, because I don't have one. If I'm not interested in football for a year, it's because EVERY team sucks.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007

Why would it be idiotic? If you find no love for any team at all, the obvious thing to do in any sport is to enjoy watching the people who really do know how to play. Or do you think watching me play 18 would be the same as watching any tour pro who you don't have any feelings for (Phil, McIlroy, who ever you want to pic)? Or you don't have enough testicular fortitude to handle a down year on me playing? That is ridiculous.

In the other hand, being a fan doesn't mean being "idiotic" and expecting your team to win every game and win the Super Bowl with an unbeaten season. You might want that to happen and cheer on every game, but you don't need two connected neurons as a Browns, Rams, Lion fan to know your team won't make it to the playoffs even if you love them with all your heart and you have the team's QB player tattooed in your left testicle to increase your testicular fortitude.

One thing is love, another one is reality. I'm a Bears fan and I love being one, but we need more than a miracle to make it to the playoffs this year even if I pray for it.

Again, its just a matter of obviousness, not evangelic conceptions

scgamecock

Feb 5, 2009
Why?

I can't imagine being a fan of a team though, because a team is just a jersey.

I genuinely do not understand why, or how, anyone gives a crap about a team. It's an ever changing thing defined by a color and a location. Who cares?
When I sit down to watch football, which is often, I never really care who is playing or who wins. I want to see the GAME. I will only follow a team if they're showing me that they really know how to play the game.

Are you serious dude? Are you really hating on everyone who is a diehard fan of a team? Your comments are the only thing ridiculous here.

Maybe he is a die hard michigan fan because he graduated from there, or his parents did, or he grew up right down the street, etc. I'm a diehard usc fan because thats where my parents and I graduated from. Im a diehard braves fan because i have been since i was 4 years old. I've been going to braves games and watching them on tv while my entire family since then as well. I've been a diehard panthers fan since their inception in the nfl. Are you really that narcisistic to think that everyone who has been a lifelong fan of a team or their alma mater is an idiot, and your're "intellegent" because you are a fan of only specific players.

If you enjoy only top notch football players, playing the game "right", and spectacular catches and soforth, then why do you even bother watching football when you could just watch the highlights on sportcenter. You are missing out on a lot if you don't have a team to root for week in and week out, and friends and common fans to join together and root with. I'm guessing you also don't attend any live sports since doing so and rooting for only one team is so idiotic. I would love to see you at any kind of game rooting for players on both sides of the ball.

I'm a fan of sydney rice and love to watch him play, because i've met him and watched him play for usc. Obviously it's fun to watch and be fans of certian players no matter what team they are on, because of their exceptional talent, or you know them or whatever, but to do that exclusively and call people who have a favorite team "idiotic" is absurd. Have fun staying impartial, and watching random football games with no emotional connection. Your missing out a quite a bit.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
The "idiots" thing was intended to make fun of Shep for suggesting that all people who DON'T root for a team are "idiots."

It's true though that I don't either understand, or condone, team/mob mentality. That you've been watching the Braves since you were four means nothing to me. That's sort of the line of thinking that leads abused wives to stay with their abusive husbands, "But we've been married for X years!"

I have no problem with people who have a favorite team. As long as YOU aren't missing out on watching good, exciting football just because your team isn't playing-- and even if you are, really, it's not my business. It's funny though that you think it's blasphemy to not pick a team and follow it blindly. I guess I've got enough going on in my life that I don't need the structured fandom of a favorite team. Who knows.

I get to be excited about the 1PM games, the 4PM games, the 7PM games, the Monday night game, and sometimes the Thursday night game. Sounds like you only get to be excited about one. Who's missing out?

Also, I don't WANT an "emotional connection" to televised football games. If you feel that you have a deep one yourself, you may want to seek counseling.

scgamecock

Feb 5, 2009
The "idiots" thing was intended to make fun of Shep for suggesting that all people who DON'T root for a team are "idiots."

It's true though that I don't either understand, or condone, team/mob mentality. That you've been watching the Braves since you were four means nothing to me. That's sort of the line of thinking that leads abused wives to stay with their abusive husbands, "But we've been married for X years!"

I have no problem with people who have a favorite team. As long as YOU aren't missing out on watching good, exciting football just because your team isn't playing-- and even if you are, really, it's not my business. It's funny though that you think it's blasphemy to not pick a team and follow it blindly. I guess I've got enough going on in my life that I don't need the structured fandom of a favorite team. Who knows.

I get to be excited about the 1PM games, the 4PM games, the 7PM games, the Monday night game, and sometimes the Thursday night game. Sounds like you only get to be excited about one. Who's missing out?

Also, I don't WANT an "emotional connection" to televised football games. If you feel that you have a deep one yourself, you may want to seek counseling.

1. I have a very close family, and I have numerous very fond memories being with them watching and attending games as a child. Obviously something you never have experienced, so of course that means nothing to you.

2. I did not say it was blasphemy not to have a favorite team in a certain sport. I was just criticizing the fact that you think it is stupid, which btw, i don't think anyone will disagree is ludacris. Maybe someone doesn't like baseball enough to have a favorite team in baseball. But i assure you that 99% of people have some kind of favorite sports team for whatever reason.

3. I get excited about most professional football and baseball games. It's called fantasy sports.

4. And you can ask any fan of college football, especailly people who attended d1 schools, if they get excited and happy and overjoyed when their team wins a big game ( i.e. "emotional connection"), and they would say of course.

shep3470

Apr 5, 2009
Omaha, NE
First of all I am a Michgan fan because that is where my dad graduated and have always followed them since before I can remember. The only reason I couln't go there was because it was too efing expensive. Hopefully I can get to the upgraded Michigan Stadium this year.

I am not missing out on good football. I watch more games than I probably should. I'm with SGGAMECOCK-I would really like to see you in a stadium, or even a bar, watching the Patriots take on the Colts and cheering for both Brady and Manning. Just remember, when Manning throws that perfect deep pass down the sideline for a TD, there were more players than just him that made that play happen.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
at3_gstatic_com_images_8508e0d7db86268209e2fb1054baa3f3._.jpg

This WAS a decent thread. Then you had to make it all sucky.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
Good Call, Jeff.

Why the heck does it even matter?

Can't I root for my chiefs...and then watch any other football I want just for the thrill of hopefully watching a good game? Or is it a sin for me to watch a game other than a chiefs game? cripes.

Yeah, I'm a fan of a team...I've lived in KC all my life, and the chiefs were decent growing up, and watching Marcus Allen and Derrick Thomas in their prime and having Arrowhead stadium be just the loudest, craziest home field just had me hooked.

Sure, these past few years, the chiefs haven't been especially grand, and I may have found myself flipping to other games more easily than usual....are you going to fault me when my first-choice team is down by 3 TD's?

I'm probably not going to actually pick another team to root for if mine isn't doing well...but that doesn't mean that I can't flip to a close game and enjoy the outcome one way or another does it???

It's an effing game...that I wasn't nearly physically gifted enough to play...but there's no reason I shouldn't be able to watch whatever game I want. I love my Chiefs, but there's no reason one can't be realistic in their following. I love my chiefs, but if they're down 21, I think my time is better spent watching a closer game...if that's wrong...then I don't want to be right.

beermug

Gawwwwn
Aug 25, 2010
we needs Bears jokes!

QB Jay Cutler is dating The Hills' Kristin Cavalleri. I heard he sent her flowers, but they were intercepted and returned for a touchdown.

are you kidding,bears jokes faded out 25 years ago,we need teams that are going to make this season exciting,and from what i have seen in training camps there is going to be some very good rivalries

beermug

Gawwwwn
Aug 25, 2010
maybe for you they are,at the time it was funny,but come on 25 years later,i dont think so

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Yes, for me they are.

The Bears are the laughing stock of the NFL....too bad they didn't get Favre, that would have been epic.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
One thing is for sure. Its going t be a LONG season for us Bears fans...

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.