• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

NHL Playoff Thread

Big Brother Dunk

Aug 29, 2005
The NHL Playoffs are finally underway again. It's been far too long!

I realize this is a couple of days late, but here are my takes on round one:

Ottawa vs Tampa Bay - Hasek is out for at least the first series. The Sens are lucky they don't have a real tough opponent for the first round. Sens in 5

Carolina vs Montreal - Carolina owned Montreal during the season, but they don't have as much playoff experience. Despite the Habs' win in game one, I expect it'll be Carolina in 7.

New Jersey vs NY Rangers - The Devils had a very strong finish, 11 straight wins, and I think that will carry over. Devils in 6 or 7

Buffalo vs Philadelphia - The Sabres definitely benefited from the "new-look" NHL. They've got good team speed, and the Flyers are somewhat depleted by injuries. Sabres in 6

Detroit vs Edmonton - I think Detroit will be very hungry for the Cup this year. They've been play-off under achievers lately and I think they'll come out flying. Wings in 4

Dallas vs Colorado - Dallas is too deep for the Avs. I don't think Colorado has the horses despite the win in game 1, so no upset here. Stars in 6

Calgary vs Anaheim - The Flames have perhaps the best goalies in the league and an outstanding defence corps. Calgary in 6

Nashville vs San Jose - The Sharks have too much fire-power. They could be the surprise team in this year's playoffs. San Jose in 6

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Interesting thoughts, BBD, I haven't been following close enough to give an educated opinion, but your ideas seem well grounded. Except that I want Colorado to take out everyone. I don't know if they'll be able to this year, though.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
I kind of lost touch with hockey since the ESPN contract expired during the lockout. Worse yet, being a Bruins fan did not inspire me too much to try and watch hockey this year as they just flat out sucked. Watch some of the Olympic hockey, but that has been about it.

Has the NHL game improved at all with the changes they implemented?

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Tim, from the small amount that I watched, it was WAY more interesting to watch. The games were way faster, more scoring, more exceitement overall.

Well worth watching, imo. I just didn't have the time or wanted to watch something else more, heh.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
BBD,

I see your Oilers prediction went tits up already! ;)

Big Oilers fan. I'd be surprised if they won the series, but Detroit seems to be flat these days.

Best game this year was the Game 1 Philly/Buffalo game. Huge hits, tons of scoring and double OT. Plus it helps when you have Briere in your draft and he scores the winner!

Ottawa and Jersey look sharp. One of those two will win the East. My dark horse in the west is SJ, but I could see Dallas winning that too, even with the Game one loss to COL.

Other than the bipolar penalty calling, this has been a great weekend of hockey so far.

You Yanks don't know what you're missing...

R35

lildudejds

Shut up ya dumb beaver...
Supporting Member
Aug 2, 2005
Yeah go blues! the worst team in the NHL, first time in 25 years they didnt make the playoffs. I dont think i watched one full game this whole year....im normally a big fan too

OP
Big Brother Dunk

Big Brother Dunk

Aug 29, 2005
Rockford35 said:
BBD,

I see your Oilers prediction went tits up already! ;)

Big Oilers fan. I'd be surprised if they won the series, but Detroit seems to be flat these days.

Best game this year was the Game 1 Philly/Buffalo game. Huge hits, tons of scoring and double OT. Plus it helps when you have Briere in your draft and he scores the winner!

Ottawa and Jersey look sharp. One of those two will win the East. My dark horse in the west is SJ, but I could see Dallas winning that too, even with the Game one loss to COL.

Other than the bipolar penalty calling, this has been a great weekend of hockey so far.

You Yanks don't know what you're missing...

R35
Yeah, what's with Detroit? Perhaps they don't have anything left in the tank. The Oilers looked sharp.
In the Philly/Sabre game did you see that hit by Campbell on Umberger? Umberger got knocked in to next week!:wow:

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Having the center ice package, I think I saw about 70 of the Habs 82 games this year. The "new" NHL has definitell benefitted teams that can avoid the cheap stick infractions.

I am happy with the win last night, but I don't think they'll get by CAR either. I missed out on rd 1 tix, so my fingers are crossed that they'll make it to rnd 2. I got to see them eliminate the Bruins a few years ago at the Bell Centre and it was an experience to say the least. I'd love to go again.... especially now, since my father-in-law will be in town, and he's a big fan too.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I still can't believe that we have an NHL team here in Florida. Just a bit of cognitive dissonance. But hey, we're the current Stanley Cup champs. I fear that with Khabibulin gone, we don't stand a chance of making it past the Sens. Although the win yesterday was pretty good. Where has St. Louis been all year?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Eracer said:
I still can't believe that we have an NHL team here in Florida. Just a bit of cognitive dissonance. But hey, we're the current Stanley Cup champs. I fear that with Khabibulin gone, we don't stand a chance of making it past the Sens. Although the win yesterday was pretty good. Where has St. Louis been all year?

Uh, you have TWO teams in Florida, bub...:D

St. Louis had a fire sale and got rid of all their talent. They're in the infamous "rebuilding" year...

R35

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Rockford35 said:
Uh, you have TWO teams in Florida, bub...:D

St. Louis had a fire sale and got rid of all their talent. They're in the infamous "rebuilding" year...

R35

Yeah, but we don't count the Panthers as a real team...

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I went to game 3 of the Senators-Lightning series here in Tampa last night.

I wish I hadn't...The Sens just dismantled the Lightning. Grahame was a sieve, and got no help from any of his defensemen. Oh, man - that was ugly.

icon13.gif
icon13.gif
icon13.gif
icon13.gif

OP
Big Brother Dunk

Big Brother Dunk

Aug 29, 2005
Edmonton's looking like they want an upset! Same with the Habs.

Eracer said:
I went to game 3 of the Senators-Lightning series here in Tampa last night.

I wish I hadn't...The Sens just dismantled the Lightning. Grahame was a sieve, and got no help from any of his defensemen. Oh, man - that was ugly.

icon13.gif
icon13.gif
icon13.gif
icon13.gif
Yep, your boys got kicked!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.