• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Nike forged blades vs. Ben Hogan Apex blades

wrx_junki

May 1, 2009
Anyone have any experience with both of these blades?

I purchased the BH's for $300 but found the Nike's for $385. So I was wondering if I should return the BH's for the Nike's. Both are old equipment so I won't be able to goto the local shops and try them out.

OP
wrx_junki

wrx_junki

May 1, 2009
Also, if someone could tell me the loft specs for Ben Hogan 50th blades. That'll be really helpful!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
You'll get Lutheran/Presbyterian type discussion between clubs like these. Many of us will have opinions... but no one can tell you exactly what is best for you.

You'll find lots of Hogan fans. Great forgings. The Hogans will have their proprietary Apex shaft. Fair shaft, if you get the correct flex. The Hogan short irons always seemed "big/square" to me. However, that's me!! Just a different look from other blade short irons.

The early Nike blades had DGS400 shafts. Fairly well known characteristics of a pretty heavy shaft. The Nike's were similar to the 681T's (last of the Hoffman Titty's) and similar to a mixed set of MP14's and MP29's. I played Titleist blades for quite a while. Had a set of Nike's early blades only a short time. Not much difference, other than name. Liked the irons.... didn't like the name. Stupid reason to change!!!! By that time, the 681T's were rare and expensive so went to 690mb's and wore out two sets. Very similar feel.

If the Hogans are in your hand, look good, and you hit them well... keep them. If, mentally or mechaniclly there are problems, go to the Nikes. Flip a coin.

xman1112

May 8, 2009
I have a set of the Hogan Apex Plus, with Rifle 6 shafts. They are definitely player irons and you have to work with, and get used to them. I also like the fact that they are a little off the beaten path and you don't see alot of people using them.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I've hit them both

The newer Nike blades are so soft its actually quite off putting, I lost a clubs length compared to Apex

But then again, each set of Hogan's play differently, depends which set you are comparing against. But the Nike's are the softest irons I have ever hit

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.