• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

No Doubt About Lydia Ko

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States
THERE WERE MILD RESERVATIONS THREE WEEKS ago when Lydia Ko achieved No. 1 status in the women's game. Just 17 years old, the New Zealander ascended to the top spot in the Rolex Rankings after a runner-up finish at the Coates Golf Championship in Ocala, Florida.

Lydia Ko
(LPGA.com)​
None of Ko's peers questioned her game or that Ko was more than capable of ruling the ladies circuit. But some openly wondered about the current points system and if it rewarded Ko too soon.

That small debate is now moot. Ko is for real. She has not let her foot off the accelerator.

This past weekend the teen solidified her ranking with a victory at the Women's Australia Open at Royal Melbourne Golf Club. It was her sixth title on the LPGA Tour. Watch out.

As the Australian media (via Geoff Shackelford) noted, Ko hit 64 of 72 greens in regulation, tops in the field. This is especially noteworthy at Royal Melbourne, home to elevated and contoured putting surfaces, and also one of the great courses on the planet.

Ko seems to take it all in stride. Again, she is 17. And she is confident. Youth and confidence can be a formidable combination.

"I didn't really know how I would play and how I would react to becoming world No. 1, and I always wondered that," Ko said at LPGA.com.

"Sometimes I got close and I was still world No. 2, 3 or 4, and then after Ocala (the Coates Golf Championship) I couldn't pull off the win but then I became world No.1. I played average in the first two days in the Bahamas but then I fired back.

"It's good to know that just from my confidence that I can still play good and not really think about the world rankings."

Yes, that's good to know for Ko. Perhaps not so good for her competitors.

There's no doubt about it: Ko is good, very good, maybe even great. Time will tell.

Source: No Doubt About Lydia Ko

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Wow, once you get the glasses off and apply a bit of make-up, Hello Lydia!!! Very pretty as well as a good playa!

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
United States United States
She's one of those players that's not great at anything (yet), but she has zero weakness. Fun to watch. Heard her tell her caddie great job after they discussed a shot and she hit a great shot into a small green the other day.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
She's one of those players that's not great at anything (yet), but she has zero weakness. Fun to watch. Heard her tell her caddie great job after they discussed a shot and she hit a great shot into a small green the other day.
I think she's great at having a very tidy golf game that leaves everyone else in her wake.

I suspect she's already strong mentally but I hope she can continue to block out repetitive media questions about her age.

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
She has a great overall game. I think her strongest asset seems to be her attitude. She seems to take it all in stride and stay focused on getting the ball in the hole in as few strokes as possible.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Yep, she's the real deal. Backs up her last win with a win at the NZ Open.

ko_1442_nzopen15_d4_trophy.jpg

By the way, Beatriz Recari shot a final round 63. I'd like to personally and privately 'congratulate' her. The numeral "63" never looked so good. :geek:

11018346_10152636673665684_3128096094607940726_n.png

Last edited:

🔥 Latest posts