1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Now 13, FedEx Cup Playoffs Are Still Awkward and In Search of Identity

Discussion in 'Golf News' started by Dogfish Head, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Dogfish Head

Dogfish Head Well-Known Member TEA is my HERO

United States United States
    Admin Post
    Embed from Getty Images

THE FEDEX CUP PLAYOFFS ARE still kind of odd, right? They're constantly changing, and I wonder if it's in a good way. Sort of like those awkward teen years, which, 13 years in, the playoffs now enter.

This year it's goodbye PGA Championship, hello FedEx Cup Playoffs, in August. Not a bad idea, I suppose, if you're hellbent on finishing before the NFL kicks off.

There are three playoff tournaments instead of four: this week's Northern Trust, then the BMW Championship, then the finale, the Tour Championship at East Lake in Atlanta. Also probably a good thing.

There's more money (from $35 million to $65 million) and only one winner at the Tour Championship, the FedEx Cup champion. (No individual tournament winner.)

I won't attempt to explain the points system, but I'll point you to the PGA Tour's FedEx Cup Playoffs Primer, here.

Mike McAllister wrote about one of the biggest changes at PGATOUR.COM:

Instead of a points reset used in the previous format, the new format for East Lake [at the Tour Championship] starting this season involves a strokes-based bonus system called FedExCup Starting Strokes. Each player will start with a score (relative to par) corresponding to his position in FedExCup points after the BMW Championship. Here’s the breakdown:

FedExCup rank
    entering East LakeStarting
    Strokes

No. 110 under
    No. 28 under
    No. 37 under
    No. 46 under
    No. 55 under
    Nos. 6-104 under
    Nos. 11-153 under
    Nos. 16-202 under
    Nos. 21-251 under
    Nos. 26-30Even par​

How we feel about this when it's all over is hard to say. Teenagers can sorely disappoint or pleasantly surprise us, or a little bit of both.
    [​IMG]

Source: Now 13, FedEx Cup Playoffs Are Still Awkward and In Search of Identity