• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Odds of the PGA banning Belly/Chest putters?

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
I do believe we will see something in the next year or two. There are just too many tour pros going the way of an "anchored" putter for it not to be an advantage. The argument that I've heard against TW's "no longer than the shortest club in the bag" is that back trouble requires some to have a slightly longer putter. If you cannot bend over without pain, should you be allowed to use a longer putter if it is not "anchored"? Raymond Floyd was one who used a longer putter, once his back wore out from a life of golf and "other entertainment". What about those who have been sold on the constant length iron system? If all my irons are the length of a 6-iron... even the wedges... I could carry a longer putter than someone using standard lenth clubs. Or, I could just learn to play with clubs that were 1" over standard and have a little longer putter.
They also have difficulty defining "anchoring". Langer used a regular length putter, but "anchored" it to his left wrist with his right hand.
I look for the USGA to come up with an artibrary maximum length, sorta like they did for the displacement size of drivers.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Unless you see guys making huge runs and winning everything is site, i doubt this will ever be an issue, especially since they've basically allowed the cheating/anchoring to date.

But, they did switch the grooves for the average joe, so get ready to bend over again for absolutely no reason.

R35

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Need to differentiate between the PGA and the USGA/R&A. I don't give a rats ass what the PGA does, but if the USGA takes away my belly putter I'm gonna be pissed. I just started making some darn putts again!

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Need to differentiate between the PGA and the USGA/R&A. I don't give a rats ass what the PGA does, but if the USGA takes away my belly putter I'm gonna be pissed. I just started making some darn putts again!

You're right. I'm not sure which one was looking into it..

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada

The USGA won't take your putter away. Unless you play in a sanctioned event, how does this affect you?

R35

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Should they? Probably.

Will they? Doubt it.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Why should they? If "belly putters" are an advantage, then who's advantage it is when anyone can play with one? You can't call cheating something which you can use if you want to, so there is no reason to ban the putter. It's like banning the 4 or 5 layer balls because Tiger likes to use a 3 layer one!

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
The Golf Channel Amateur Tour and the GolfWeek Amateur Tour, both base their rules on USGA rules. They MIGHT ban them. Sometimes I play Georgia State Golf Association events, like the Publick Links, and they DO follow USGA rules.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Why should they? If "belly putters" are an advantage, then who's advantage it is when anyone can play with one? You can't call cheating something which you can use if you want to, so there is no reason to ban the putter. It's like banning the 4 or 5 layer balls because Tiger likes to use a 3 layer one!

So because everyone can cheat, cheating is Ok? Can I bring my training aids on the course with me then? Maybe a slope reader to better read putts? I think the point is that its easier to make a repeatable arc with the "anchored" putter.

Although, that brings up the question if it makes it easier to putt why hasn't there been a big time player using a belly putter?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Although, that brings up the question if it makes it easier to putt why hasn't there been a big time player using a belly putter?

Both Phil and Ernie did, but went back.

I guess you could call them "big", I suppose.

R35

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I think anchoring a putter should be banned if the anchor point is also the fulcrum. I also think that the putter should no be longer than the driver. i don't want to see someone measuring 2 club lengths with a putter.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Its funny, even though I agree that it should be banned I don't feel a burning desire for it to be so. To me it goes to show where the game has gone. Today's players spend so much time working to hit the ball a mile and less time around the green and on the green, it was inevitable that they would use cheater sticks. Maybe I'm crazy. The first "big" guy I remember using the long putter was Vijay. He tore off like 10 or 12 wins one year but no majors and then went back to the regular putter so who knows.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I'm with you Jim...

I have no dog in the fight really, i have no intentions to go to a anchored putter and i think it's 'cheating' to anchor any golf club, but I don't really have a hard stance on the banning thing.

I kind of agree with the announcers at the AT&T, ban it on the Pro tours, but not for the amateur golfers.

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
I have not seen a difinitive advantage to using the anchored putters. Can anyone name a single player who was an atrocious putter who swiched to an anchored putter and suddenly started winning every tournament? I personally hate seeing and hearing so much about these stupid putters. Until you see 6 or more of the top ten players in the world sticking with these putters they are not a problem. Also, lets be realistic here they are not "cheating" by using these clubs. They are within the rules of golf. People need to learn to separate nostalgia from their arguments. Just because you have always done something one way does not mean it is not incredibly stupid.

🔥 Latest posts