• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Odds of the PGA banning Belly/Chest putters?

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I have not seen a difinitive advantage to using the anchored putters. Can anyone name a single player who was an atrocious putter who swiched to an anchored putter and suddenly started winning every tournament? I personally hate seeing and hearing so much about these stupid putters. Until you see 6 or more of the top ten players in the world sticking with these putters they are not a problem. Also, lets be realistic here they are not "cheating" by using these clubs. They are within the rules of golf. People need to learn to separate nostalgia from their arguments. Just because you have always done something one way does not mean it is not incredibly stupid.

It also doesn't mean the 'new' way isn't incredibly stupid either...

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Personally I hope they don't ban them, but thats because I use one, lol. I also don't think they should ban them.I don't see where they make that big of a difference, other than the fact my back isn't killing me after 15 minutes of practice.

HighTopFade

Sep 1, 2006
A regular golf buddy switched to a belly putter this year and it helped tremendously. Competitively, I don't really care. If anything, I'm happy the pace of play improved. He'll make putts or get them into tap in gimme range.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
They don't bother me one bit. If they haven't banned metalwoods, hybrids, the new balls, or adjustable drivers there is absolutely no reason to ban long putters. The putter can't read the green.

brenmuldoon1

Jul 5, 2012
Raleigh, North Carolina
Country
Allow me to chip in, if I may. For those of you/us with the yips the Claw grip is great, the anchored putter/belly/broomstick is not cheating at this stage and they have some distinct disadvantages - such as a lack of "feel" and difficulty with speed control. Having said that, I watched a Hooters/NGA Tour event and battled to spot a short putter. My feeling is that the standard length of putters at 34" is too long. I have seen great results from guys switching to shorter 30" putters (and 44.5" Drivers BTW).

smokey

Smokey
Jul 7, 2006
wait a minute. this might sound stupid but theoretically typing. if i were to cut down my putter to say 10" and got down on the green and putted from my knees would that be considered cheating. im pretty sure i could sink alot of puts with that set up.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Came to this party late. I'm happy with the way things are. I've read with interest (and sometimes, disinterest) a lot of the arguments on the internet. Most IMO, are based on (1) a flawed proposition, and/or (2) flawed reasoning. I use a short (35 ") putter so it's not about my self interest. I'm against what I believe to be alarmism. Just my .02.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Anyone using a long putter, especially one of those broomstick deals, should be punched square in the vagina.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Anyone using a long putter, especially one of those broomstick deals, should be punched square in the vagina.
A fellow at our course has used a "broomstick" for, probably, 10 years. He and I have butted heads over local political issues for about as many years. I'll send you his name and address. Let me know when you head this way. This is something I'll pay to watch!!!:D

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
My stance on this is that anchoring any club should be banned.

Since it isn't, it isn't cheating, and it's been going on since Azinger started using one in the 80's. You can anchor any club you like, putter, 9-iron, driver, go ahead. It is well within the Rules.

Myself, I use a belly putter. I wasn't rolling it great a month ago, so I went on safari with 4 different shorter putters. I'm back to the belly putter and I'm making most everything. It simply works for me.

I don't think the USGA will ban it. But, they have acted in the past when they felt something made the game too easy. They got rid of croquet-style putting with one swift pen-stroke. They eliminated stymies.

As of now though, there is no statistics that show switching to an anchored putter will make you a good putter. It'll make you a better putter if you are atrocious, that part is true. But to be a truly good putter, that takes time on the putting greens and feel. If you have feel, you'd have it with a conventional putter too. With the long, anchored putter, you do need less feel to be proficient, but the long putter has yet to prove it will make anyone a good, or even great putter.

I do agree, as above, that practicing with the belly putter is much more comfortable than with a conventional putter. I put in more time practicing because there is less fatigue. Maybe that is why I make more putts. Not the anchoring. Not enough sample size either way to tell really.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
That's my problem too Aug. I just can't practice my putting very long before my back starts hurting. I've tried several long putters (in the store) and to me, they look like crap and feel like crap. I can't stand them. So instead of learning to like them, I just have short putting sessions.

J.P.C.

Aug 31, 2010
Cape Town, South Africa
Country
South Africa South Africa
i don't have a problem with somebody using a belly/broomstick....each to their own, personally i can't see myself using one - feel the same way as AG on this one.

whatever rocks the golfers boat, but in SA i haven't seen many of them on any of the courses yet....?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.