• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Official Shottalk weight loss challenge!

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Time to fire up this thread with a personal anecdote.

Despite best intentions of losing weight and getting fitter, over the last couple of years the weight increased.

I let work and life get in the way of giving my health the number 1 priority. The confounding thing is that I didn't lead an unhealthy lifestyle. But obviously a lot of little (wrong) things all added up and all the failed attempts were making me miserable. Clothes I hadn't worn in a while were tighter, belt loops were being let out.

I am in my 50s and knew I had to turn it around. I knew it had to change before I ended up one of "those" people. I didn't want to get to a point of no return.

In March, I saw a sign up in my local gym that one of the personal trainers was advertising a 12 week challenge. Long story short, I signed up.

The bottom line is that it got me completely on track. Regular working out and assistance with getting my diet sorted out.

I eat better. I'm not hungry. I avoid carbs and sugars. I eat lean meats, veges, salads and lots of other good things.

When I started I was bloated, flabby and unfit. I weighed 104kg / 229lbs.

At the end of 12 weeks, the difference I weighed 101kg / 222lbs. But the scales didn't really matter because I'd dropped a heap of fat and put on muscle.

My PT estimated that the fat loss would've been about: 6 - 9kgs / 13 - 19lbs

I have the makings of a 6 pack. I've reclaimed the belt loops. I have healthy habits locked in for the rest of my life. Importantly, I feel great.

I'd recommend it to anyone.

I saw a hilarious video on Facebook about weight loss which encapsulates all of these things. Step 3 is a must watch, trust me.

Watch the video. It has a good message. It's spot on.

Last edited:

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
United States United States
Time to fire up this thread with a personal anecdote.

Despite best intentions of losing weight and getting fitter, over the last couple of years the weight increased.

I let work and life get in the way of giving my health the number 1 priority. The confounding thing is that I didn't lead an unhealthy lifestyle. But obviously a lot of little (wrong) things all added up and all the failed attempts were making me miserable. Clothes I hadn't worn in a while were tighter, belt loops were being let out.

I am in my 50s and knew I had to turn it around. I knew it had to change before I ended up one of "those" people. I didn't want to get to a point of no return.

In March, I saw a sign up in my local gym that one of the personal trainers was advertising a 12 week challenge. Long story short, I signed up.

The bottom line is that it got me completely on track. Regular working out and assistance with getting my diet sorted out.

I eat better. I'm not hungry. I avoid carbs and sugars. I eat lean meats, veges, salads and lots of other good things.

When I started I was bloated, flabby and unfit. I weighed 104kg / 229lbs.

At the end of 12 weeks, the difference I weighed 101kg / 222lbs. But the scales didn't really matter because I'd dropped a heap of fat and put on muscle.

My PT estimated that the fat loss would've been about: 6 - 9kgs / 13 - 19lbs

I have the makings of a 6 pack. I've reclaimed the belt loops. I have healthy habits locked in for the rest of my life. Importantly, I feel great.

I'd recommend it to anyone.

I saw a hilarious video on Facebook about weight loss which encapsulates all of these things.
Watch the video. It has a good message.
Good for you! Honestly, I am one weak sonofabitch when it comes to fitness. I know better, but I REALLY love to eat. I have access to a fantastic gym included in our HOA in both VA & FL and I am a stranger to both. As a former athlete I should be ashamed of myself. I am medicated for both BP and Cholesterol and the meds work fantastic, which doesn't help. I am 30 lbs from being pretty fit. All this honesty is a start, I guess. Pass the cookies, please?

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Good for you! Honestly, I am one weak sonofabitch when it comes to fitness. I know better, but I REALLY love to eat. I have access to a fantastic gym included in our HOA in both VA & FL and I am a stranger to both. As a former athlete I should be ashamed of myself. I am medicated for both BP and Cholesterol and the meds work fantastic, which doesn't help. I am 30 lbs from being pretty fit. All this honesty is a start, I guess. Pass the cookies, please?

The good thing is that after getting on track, I honestly don't feel like eating sh!t food. Friday, I had a cheat day and had some fries. I think I had some ice cream on Saturday. But the mind definitely kicks in and says "okay, you've had your fun, now it's time to be good for another week."

It's had a positive effect on extended family members. My sister who definitely needs to lose weight and has the world's biggest excuse book, has just joined a gym. It blew me away.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
The good thing is that after getting on track, I honestly don't feel like eating sh!t food. Friday, I had a cheat day and had some fries. I think I had some ice cream on Saturday. But the mind definitely kicks in and says "okay, you've had your fun, now it's time to be good for another week."

It's had a positive effect on extended family members. My sister who definitely needs to lose weight and has the world's biggest excuse book, has just joined a gym. It blew me away.
One of my doctors says he behaves 6 days a week and picks one day where all bets are off on what he eats.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
The value add about it all is that it has benefited me in getting around the golf course. Lifting all of the heavy gear out of the car is much easier. No more lightly puffing after having put everything together. Walking the course is better. My swing speed has increased. Legs are stronger - locking in the legs in the set up before pulling the trigger has benefited. Hip flexors. Flexibility. It goes on.

Then there's the issue of lower back discomfort/pain. Prior to the 12 week challenge, I periodically had lower back discomfort when bent over practising. It started to worry me. It's now gone. A big bonus.

Try it.

Last edited:

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country

Members online