1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Official Shottalk weight loss challenge!

Discussion in 'No Golf For You!' started by eclark53520, Aug 25, 2015.

1. warbirdlover

warbirdlover Ender of all threads Supporting Member

United States United States
    I have a serious weight issue this year. I gained 20 lbs. more then I've ever been before and eating smaller portions is not helping. I'm diabetic and this is frustrating. I'm also 72 and if I went to exercise I'd probably die of a heart attack. Any help would be appreciated.

2. SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM I love Hooters Moderator

Have ssmokin send you some pitchers. Guaranteed to make you lose your appetite and maybe hurl.

3. BigJim13

BigJim13 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

I can tell you what worked for me. I started counting calories and walking long before hitting the gym. I dropped about 20-30 lbs before I ever stepped into the gym. Counting calories also opened my eyes to what I was putting into my body as far as portion sizes go. I also made the choice to not drink my calories, basically only drink unsweetened tea and water...and coffee.

Minor changes jump started me and it didn’t feel so much like “dieting” because I didn’t stop eating any one particular thing, just paying closer attention.

Fairwaysplitter3320 likes this.
  4. eclark53520

eclark53520 DB Member Extraordinaire Supporting Member

Counting calories is really the only thing that truly works. Calories in VS calories out. You simply cannot gain weight if you're at a caloric deficit. It's physically impossible. Now...there's also the nutritional side of it...you should make sure the calories you are eating are quality, but even if you eat nothing but sugar, calories in vs calories out.

Any diet that says 'eat ONLY this' or 'don't eat ANY of that' is a farce right off the bat. So **** all of them. You can literally eat pretty much whatever you want and lose weight. You just have to eat the right amount of it.

There's 3500 calories per pound of body fat....approximately of course. So, to lose a pound a week, you need to amass 3500 calorie deficit under your BMR for the week. So if you require 3000 calories a day to maintain your current weight(BMR), you need to eat 2500 calories a day to lose a pound a week. 2000 calories a day to lose 2lbs a week. Don't go any lower than 1000 cals a day deficit IMO unless you have a professional dietitian or Dr telling you to do it.

You need to keep a log of your weight every week. Weigh yourself in the morning on the same day of the week and write it down. Don't weigh yourself again until the next week. Daily weigh ins are useless as your weight varies too much daily to be of much use.

Figure out your basal metabolic rate. There's calculators online. Go ahead and go 2 weeks at a 500 calorie deficit according to that BMR. At the end of two weeks determine if you're losing about 1lb/week or so. If you're not losing 1lb, increase your deficit by about 250 calories(eating less). If you have lost too much weight, increase your caloric intake by 250 calories. Re-check after two weeks.

As you lose weight, you'll have to reduce your caloric intake to keep losing 1lb per week. When you weigh less, your body needs less calories to maintain it's weight which means if you want to keep losing weight, you'll have to drop your intake to be 500 below BMR again.

If you find that you simply cannot lose weight by caloric deficit, walk. You don't have to 'work out' or get your heart rate super high. Simply walking for a half hour every day will do wonders for your health. Then walking for an hour a day...and so on.

5. SiberianDVM

I use 2 apps to keep track of food and exercise.

6. BigJim13

This is very well explained and pretty much how I got started.

I found for me walking 30 min burned a few extra calories and I’d have more calories to spare so to speak. Then I started feeling better and wanted to walk more. On the weekends I got to a point I was walking 5 miles each day. Decided to step it up and joined a gym. I basically did the treadmill and elliptical. My first few weeks were rough, I was sore!

After about 2 months I added the rowing machine. I made the gym part of my routine like I did with walking. I knew if I skipped a week or two I’d be fine so I made it a priority to go, even when I just wanted to crash. I’m at a point now that if I don’t go to the gym 3 times in a week I miss it, that’s right miss it. It’s a great stress reliever for me. Throw in some headphones and crank some music.

I couldn’t agree more about the diets that tell what you can and can’t eat. I always whatever I want and just plan for it. Maybe I spend an extra 20 minutes at the gym one night because I had a HUGE bowl of ice cream. I don’t do that much anymore but occasionally.

I probably should start to add some weight training too, but I’m starting to tone up and it feels great.

It all started though with counting calories and 30 min walks around the block!

I should add this that for “me” when I started exercising more my diet “wants” changed. I wasn’t as hungry as I once was and even when I was I didn’t want chips or sweets. Veggies, fruits started appealing more to me...no idea why!

7. eclark53520

MyFitnessPal is a great app and will figure out your BMR along with ask you questions about your physical activity and will suggest a caloric intake for you to lose an amount per week that you choose.

I use this.

8. SiberianDVM

I use that one (came free with the electronic Withings Body scale that BCBS sent me free), and Health Mate which was also free, and a Withings Move watch I got for 1/2 price on Amazon. The apps sync with the watch and scale.

9. warbirdlover

Yikes. All this is scaring me.

10. SiberianDVM

You think this is scary? I've got my 2nd colonoscopy scheduled for 8am Wednesday. Tuesday will be scary!!!!!

But(t), I will lose a couple of pounds. :)

11. eclark53520

3 steps.

Step 1: Figure out your Basal Metabolic Rate or BMR - This is the amount of calories you need, per day, to maintain your current weight if you do close to nothing all day. Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) Calculator

Step 2: Subtract 500 from that number. That is your goal for caloric intake every day. Every food you eat, figure out how much of it you ate and count how many calories that equates to.

Step 3: Weigh yourself once a week in the morning when you wake up. Use your weight trends to adjust your caloric intake to meet your weight loss goal.

Your goal should be to lose about 1 pound of body weight per week. 500 calorie deficit per day should accomplish that.

12. BigJim13

Me too along with an app that came with my Garmin watch to track activities

TheTrueReview likes this.
  13. BigJim13

Totally understandable! Start slow, walking a little and tracking what you eat.

I got scared when my dr looked at me and said, it’s time we got serious about weight loss or we will have to look at more drastic measures

eclark53520 likes this.
  14. warbirdlover

Was having lunch at the golf course and a friend "Bert" was there. He had lost half his size in weight in the last year and I asked him what he did. He said he quit drinking diet soda, drinks only water and took walks. I drink a bunch of cans of diet soda normally every day so am now drinking only water like Bert. Will see what happens.

15. PaPaD

PaPaD Club ho, geezer........ Supporting Member

You still have to burn more calories than you consume. It's biology. Stopping diet soda is good for lots of reasons.......I should quit, too.

16. eclark53520

Diet soda has no calories, so it's not really going to help much. The walking will definitely help.

Now...not consuming the shit(aspertame) that's in diet soda is a good idea.

Fairwaysplitter3320 and BigJim13 like this.
  17. BigJim13

Unsweetened iced tea, that’s my go to at restaurants and in general. That and water with some Mio flavoring in it.

My mind was blown when I started tracking calories to see just how many calories were in some drinks. My daughter loves Dunkin, some of their drinks have like 1200 calories, that’s almost a full days calories for me in one drink!

18. eclark53520

Yeap. A lot of people could lose quite a bit of weight simply by drinking water all day instead of coffee drinks/soda.

BigJim13 likes this.
  19. SiberianDVM

I lost 2.5 pounds in the last 24 hours and wow, was it fun!

For you youngsters who have not had your 1st colonoscopy prep, you have something to look forward to. Like I said the last time, "Never again!"

20. warbirdlover

That is one horrible way to lose weight.

BigJim13 likes this.