1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Old Overton - Birmingham

Discussion in 'Golf Pictures' started by Bravo, May 13, 2005.

1. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

2. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

Here we are on the first tee...Plays 409 from the Black tees and 392 from the Blue. A nice, easy opening Par 4...
    DSCN1156.JPG DSCN1157.JPG

3. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

Onto the 3rd - a steep downhill Par 3. 185 from the Black and 171 from the Blue. Tees were up a bit today and I hit 9 iron..shows how steep it is...
    DSCN1158.JPG DSCN1159.JPG

4. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

A tiny little hacienda on overlooking the 3rd tee...
    DSCN1160.JPG

5. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

And on to the 4th...a tough uphill Par 4. You must hit a good drive between the bunkers on the left and the vertical rock face on the right. Rock face has overgrown with vegetation over the years...but when this hole was created, they had to dynamite the rock out to form the fairway. I play with the guy in the photo quite a bit. Yes - his feet Are pointed way right and Yes his club is way behind his back. He succeeds in the pulling the ball very consistently and plays in the upper 70's. An example of a flawed swing that has become very very repeatable for him...
    DSCN1161.JPG

6. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

And #5, a 395 uphill Par 4...another tough hole..as I have commented before, my camera makes the holes appear narrower than they really are. This course for the most par has fairly wide fairways. This green is huge...should have gotten a photo..
    DSCN1163.JPG

7. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

And the 6th. One of the things that makes this course pure fun is it has very tough holes and two very reachable Par 4's. Of course, everyone goes for it on these short ones. This hole is 330 from the Black tees and only 310 from the Blue. I hit a bit of a block here and was in the right side of the fairway, about 30 yards from the green...
    DSCN1165.JPG

8. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

#7 - another tough one. A dogleg right Par 4: Black tees 449, Blue tees: 426. I blocked my drive into the right fairway bunker you see in the photo and had 175 to the pin. Had to hit my bunker approach over that tall stand of trees you see right behind the bunker and over the dogleg to reach. If you look closely, you will see the very front edge of the green in the distance beyond the fairway bunker.

My best shot of the day as I hit five iron, cleared the tall pine and landed it squarely on the middle of the green. The pin was far back right.. Unfortunately I left my sandy birdie attempt on the lip....
    DSCN1168.JPG

9. IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer Fac ut gaudeam Supporting Member

Bravo

It almost looks impossible that this dude gets it back in time to hit the ball. I'd bet he would do well on the USA Track & Field team as a Hammer Thrower.

10. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

I have played 25 rounds of golf with this guy and it is utterly amazing. The guy is aimed dead right every single time. Then he takes it way way behind his body, gets a huge over the top move and brings it square to the ball.

But it is absolutely repeatable for him and that is what counts. The other thing about him is his "Sergio pre-shot routine" that includes 17 fidgets and 13 waggles. But it works uncannily well....

11. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

And the 8th...an absolutely beautiful downhill Par 3. 191 from the Blacks and 170 from the blues. I hit 9 iron to the middle of the green and had an 18 footer for birdie which I left about 4 inches short...In the fall when the trees are turning red and gold, they frame a beautiful backdrop for this hole which has a small waterfall behind it.
    DSCN1169.JPG DSCN1171.JPG DSCN1173.JPG DSCN1174.JPG

12. DaveE

DaveE The golfer fka ST Champ

Nice pics, you're getting pretty good at this.

There's a new development here putting in a Fazio designed course. It's real high dollar though. Residential lots are starting at $250k. I don't think I'll be moving there.

13. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

Opening hole on the backside...a reachable par 5...I hit a good drive on the right side of the fairway and had 215 to the pin. Then I snaphooked my hybrid OB on the approach for DB...
    DSCN1176.JPG

14. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

The 11th...plays 431 and 411...I hit my best drive of the day and had 122 to the pin. Promptly pulled my 9 iron into the left bunker and had a fried egg. Blasted well past the hole and two putted for bogey. A terrible lost opportunity for me here. Views from the tee and a back view of the green I took later in the round.
    DSCN1178.JPG DSCN1194.JPG

15. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

The 12th...as you can see - a tough hole. Almost a full water carry and any meaningful block or fade will find the land of Neptune. The Fazio/Pate design team did however leave a nice "bailout" element on the left whereby the left bank will feed shots to the green - as long as the golfer has successfully cleared a 155 yard full water approach.

Pin was back yesterday and we had 185 in. We played the hole well with four fine shots that found the dance floor here. A birdie by my partner and three pars for the rest of the group.
    DSCN1179.JPG

16. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

Crossing the bridge between the 12th and 13th. While we walked yesterday, I would rate the walkability factor on a scale of 1-10 as a 4. The course is routed through rugged rolling forest and has many long walks from green to tee. It is approximately 200 yards from the 12th green to 13th tee...
    DSCN1183.JPG

17. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

And the 14th...a slightly downhill fairway with dogleg left. Approach is steep uphill...

My drive landed immediately right of the back fairway bunker and I had 135 to the pin. Hit 8 iron pin high to about 15 feet. Alas, I missed yet another birdie attempt and had to settle for par...
    DSCN1184.JPG DSCN1185.JPG DSCN1186.JPG

18. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

The 15th...another fun hole that shouts..."Go for it!" Plays 314 from the Blacks and 294 from the Blues. To reach, you must fly it all the way...I hit it straight but was short. A devilish green as you can imagine on such a short hole...I chipped on easily and settled for another par as my 15 foot putt broke about 5 feet...

Second photo shows walk from tee to green alongside a rockwall...
    DSCN1187.JPG DSCN1190.JPG

19. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

#17 another downhill par 3 with a brook alongside left. I have played here enough to know to aim right - both to take the brook out of play as well as the fact that shots hit to the right bank will funnel down on the green. I hit the bank yesterday and ended up with a 25 foot putt for birdie - which once again - I missed leaving it 5 inches short for a routine par...
    DSCN1195.JPG

20. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

A view of the clubhouse from the 18th green. Yesterday we had a "summer day" in the springtime. It was 88 and humid - heat index of 94. All the players are fairly fit and workout regularly. But we absolutely wilted as we have not had a hot day like this since last August. About June 10th or so until early September - this will be our weather. Hot and steamy...this is when I want to get the Hell out of Dodge and go North...
    DSCN1197.JPG