• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Old Overton - Birmingham

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Here is some background information:

Designed by Tom Fazio and Jerry Pate:

http://www.pgatour.com/practicetee/architects/profile/fazio

http://www.jerrypate.com/golfdesign/portfolio/index.htm

The course was named by Golf Digest as the Best New Private Course in the US in 1994. It is currently rated as the #2 course in Alabama.

Greens fees are $103 and cart is $20 per player.

Let's go in the gate...
DSCN1155.JPG

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Here we are on the first tee...Plays 409 from the Black tees and 392 from the Blue. A nice, easy opening Par 4...
DSCN1156.JPG
DSCN1157.JPG

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Onto the 3rd - a steep downhill Par 3. 185 from the Black and 171 from the Blue. Tees were up a bit today and I hit 9 iron..shows how steep it is...
DSCN1158.JPG
DSCN1159.JPG

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
A tiny little hacienda on overlooking the 3rd tee...
DSCN1160.JPG

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
And on to the 4th...a tough uphill Par 4. You must hit a good drive between the bunkers on the left and the vertical rock face on the right. Rock face has overgrown with vegetation over the years...but when this hole was created, they had to dynamite the rock out to form the fairway. I play with the guy in the photo quite a bit. Yes - his feet Are pointed way right and Yes his club is way behind his back. He succeeds in the pulling the ball very consistently and plays in the upper 70's. An example of a flawed swing that has become very very repeatable for him...
DSCN1161.JPG

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
And #5, a 395 uphill Par 4...another tough hole..as I have commented before, my camera makes the holes appear narrower than they really are. This course for the most par has fairly wide fairways. This green is huge...should have gotten a photo..
DSCN1163.JPG

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
And the 6th. One of the things that makes this course pure fun is it has very tough holes and two very reachable Par 4's. Of course, everyone goes for it on these short ones. This hole is 330 from the Black tees and only 310 from the Blue. I hit a bit of a block here and was in the right side of the fairway, about 30 yards from the green...
DSCN1165.JPG

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
#7 - another tough one. A dogleg right Par 4: Black tees 449, Blue tees: 426. I blocked my drive into the right fairway bunker you see in the photo and had 175 to the pin. Had to hit my bunker approach over that tall stand of trees you see right behind the bunker and over the dogleg to reach. If you look closely, you will see the very front edge of the green in the distance beyond the fairway bunker.

My best shot of the day as I hit five iron, cleared the tall pine and landed it squarely on the middle of the green. The pin was far back right.. Unfortunately I left my sandy birdie attempt on the lip....
DSCN1168.JPG

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Bravo said:
And on to the 4th...a tough uphill Par 4. You must hit a good drive between the bunkers on the left and the vertical rock face on the right. Rock face has overgrown with vegetation over the years...but when this hole was created, they had to dynamite the rock out to form the fairway. I play with the guy in the photo quite a bit. Yes - his feet Are pointed way right and Yes his club is way behind his back. He succeeds in the pulling the ball very consistently and plays in the upper 70's. An example of a flawed swing that has become very very repeatable for him...

Bravo

It almost looks impossible that this dude gets it back in time to hit the ball. I'd bet he would do well on the USA Track & Field team as a Hammer Thrower.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
IrishGolfer said:
Bravo

It almost looks impossible that this dude gets it back in time to hit the ball. I'd bet he would do well on the USA Track & Field team as a Hammer Thrower.

I have played 25 rounds of golf with this guy and it is utterly amazing. The guy is aimed dead right every single time. Then he takes it way way behind his body, gets a huge over the top move and brings it square to the ball.

But it is absolutely repeatable for him and that is what counts. The other thing about him is his "Sergio pre-shot routine" that includes 17 fidgets and 13 waggles. But it works uncannily well....

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
And the 8th...an absolutely beautiful downhill Par 3. 191 from the Blacks and 170 from the blues. I hit 9 iron to the middle of the green and had an 18 footer for birdie which I left about 4 inches short...In the fall when the trees are turning red and gold, they frame a beautiful backdrop for this hole which has a small waterfall behind it.
DSCN1169.JPG
DSCN1171.JPG
DSCN1173.JPG
DSCN1174.JPG

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Nice pics, you're getting pretty good at this.

There's a new development here putting in a Fazio designed course. It's real high dollar though. Residential lots are starting at $250k. I don't think I'll be moving there.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Opening hole on the backside...a reachable par 5...I hit a good drive on the right side of the fairway and had 215 to the pin. Then I snaphooked my hybrid OB on the approach for DB...
DSCN1176.JPG

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
The 11th...plays 431 and 411...I hit my best drive of the day and had 122 to the pin. Promptly pulled my 9 iron into the left bunker and had a fried egg. Blasted well past the hole and two putted for bogey. A terrible lost opportunity for me here. Views from the tee and a back view of the green I took later in the round.
DSCN1178.JPG
DSCN1194.JPG

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
The 12th...as you can see - a tough hole. Almost a full water carry and any meaningful block or fade will find the land of Neptune. The Fazio/Pate design team did however leave a nice "bailout" element on the left whereby the left bank will feed shots to the green - as long as the golfer has successfully cleared a 155 yard full water approach.

Pin was back yesterday and we had 185 in. We played the hole well with four fine shots that found the dance floor here. A birdie by my partner and three pars for the rest of the group.
DSCN1179.JPG

🔥 Latest posts