• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Old Overton - Birmingham

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Crossing the bridge between the 12th and 13th. While we walked yesterday, I would rate the walkability factor on a scale of 1-10 as a 4. The course is routed through rugged rolling forest and has many long walks from green to tee. It is approximately 200 yards from the 12th green to 13th tee...
DSCN1183.JPG

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
And the 14th...a slightly downhill fairway with dogleg left. Approach is steep uphill...

My drive landed immediately right of the back fairway bunker and I had 135 to the pin. Hit 8 iron pin high to about 15 feet. Alas, I missed yet another birdie attempt and had to settle for par...
DSCN1184.JPG
DSCN1185.JPG
DSCN1186.JPG

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
The 15th...another fun hole that shouts..."Go for it!" Plays 314 from the Blacks and 294 from the Blues. To reach, you must fly it all the way...I hit it straight but was short. A devilish green as you can imagine on such a short hole...I chipped on easily and settled for another par as my 15 foot putt broke about 5 feet...

Second photo shows walk from tee to green alongside a rockwall...
DSCN1187.JPG
DSCN1190.JPG

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
#17 another downhill par 3 with a brook alongside left. I have played here enough to know to aim right - both to take the brook out of play as well as the fact that shots hit to the right bank will funnel down on the green. I hit the bank yesterday and ended up with a 25 foot putt for birdie - which once again - I missed leaving it 5 inches short for a routine par...
DSCN1195.JPG

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
A view of the clubhouse from the 18th green. Yesterday we had a "summer day" in the springtime. It was 88 and humid - heat index of 94. All the players are fairly fit and workout regularly. But we absolutely wilted as we have not had a hot day like this since last August. About June 10th or so until early September - this will be our weather. Hot and steamy...this is when I want to get the Hell out of Dodge and go North...
DSCN1197.JPG

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
A beautiful clubhouse. A oil portrait of "The Duke" hangs above the fireplace...
DSCN1198.JPG

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
On the way out now - through the neighborhood. This is a new real estate development that is about 15 years old.

Love the speed limit sign here. Ya think it will make drivers think twice about remembering the speed limit??
DSCN1201.JPG

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Very nice Bravo... looks like you guys had a beautiful day, and from the sounds of things you scored very well also, which is always a plus :)

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
VtDivot said:
Very nice Bravo... looks like you guys had a beautiful day, and from the sounds of things you scored very well also, which is always a plus :)

I had an 87...with 3 pars and 6 bogies on the front, but had 3 DB's on the back. So that is a bit high for me...

This is a Tough course as its rating would suggest.. Scoring well requires a player display the full quiver of skills.

The greens were slow yesterday and none of us did a good job of adjusting. We left most of our putts short...

But it was great fun as it always is there.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Ok, put us down for that course in the fall!

Nice pics! I think these are your best so far....summer haze is setting in a little too, huh?

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Slingblade61 said:
Nice pics! I think these are your best so far....summer haze is setting in a little too, huh?

Yeah you nailed that. When the humidity goes up you can see it in the air. That shot on 16 really showed it.

We were just drained when we were done. My best guess is we walked about six miles in that heat. And then I got home and my little one threw a temper tantrum and Demanded that we walk the dog. So I put the 85 lb Lab on a leash and walk another mile or so.

When I went to bed, I was a fecking noodle - and I don't mean the golf ball...

It's going to cool back down into the high 70's and low 80's this weekend but we really only have about 3-4 weeks of decent weather left...at that point, I Do Not play after Noon. Tee off at 7:30 only....

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Even though we are hotter here, it sounds like you're humidity must be quite a bit higher. I lived in Houston for 14 years and it was like sauna all the time.

The heat will be here soon as well. By the end of June it will be 90s & up till October.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
DaveE said:
Even though we are hotter here, it sounds like you're humidity must be quite a bit higher. I lived in Houston for 14 years and it was like sauna all the time.

The heat will be here soon as well. By the end of June it will be 90s & up till October.

Yes we have more humidity than you have in Central Texas. Air temps are lower but humidity higher so the heat index is about the same. The average high here in the summer is 91 - unusual to get above 95. But with all the water in the air, the heat index usually runs about 95-96. It's just Hot...not as bad as Houston but not much better either.

It will break about September 10th but until then - its too hot for me.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Well I'm sure November will be about perfect then. I with Sling, that course should be on the list.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.