1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Old Overton - Birmingham

Discussion in 'Golf Pictures' started by Bravo, May 13, 2005.

1. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

Actually - I agree..and it's weird when you are a member of a private club like me. Many people (who are not a club members) think that the "private club experience" is somehow much better than a public course...

20 years ago this was definitely true. If you wanted really good quality golf, it was predominently available at private courses as public facilites really stunk. But with the explosion in Public Access facilities, there's just not much difference now. Most of my friends are members of these nice clubs (highly rated) and don't think twice about going to one of the public courses I am mentioning here. The "golf snobbery" issue just is not there with them because they know we are playing on a first rate course - that happens to be public access...

Anyway, we can talk about it as the time draws nearer...And as long as we get good weather (which we should in the Fall) we'll have a great time and really good courses public or private...

2. Rockford35

Rockford35 Shark skin shoes Staff Member Admin

Canada Canada
    I'm down for public if it helps everyone else justify coming.

I wouldn't mind maybe making one day a private course outing, maybe just the one 18, but not everyday. Public is where I play every round of the year. And I love every minute of it.

Plus, public course fees allow for more on course consumption of one's favorite bevies.... :prop:

R35

3. VtDivot

VtDivot SLIGHTERED Supporting Member

So then about $1000 plus some food and drink is reasonable. I will have to see what momma says. I am doubting it, as our annual trip to the caribbean might trump this golf adventure. We'll see as time draws nearer.

4. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

If you get a good airfare and double up with a roommate and we play the public facilities...we should do it around $900...

5. DaveE

DaveE The golfer fka ST Champ

I'm fine with public courses as well. From the pictures you've posted they are all as nice or nicer than anything I play now.

The lower price hotel is also good. Doesn't sound like we'll spend that much time there anyway. Double bunking is also ok.

I need some the "potential" in my business to turn into money for this to happen but I'll know one way or the other by August. I ended up canceling my trip to Houston this month so I'm hoping to cash in those brownie points in Nov.

6. Rockford35

Canada Canada
    I'm sharing a bed with Dave. Got my pajamas picked out already.

You're not allergic to latex, are you D? :beach3:

R35

7. DaveE

DaveE The golfer fka ST Champ

These the one's your bringing? You'll be wanting a different roomy, maybe TM can make it. ;)

8. Bama Duffer

Bama Duffer Well-Known Member

Bravo, I have played a couple of the public courses in your area recently. I can vouch for Ballantrae, Timberline and Oxmoor Valley (RTJ). Bent Brook had a nice layout, although it was a pretty young course last time I played it. Eagle Point had some tight fairways. I think I spent more time out of myown fairway than in it.

You're right about public v. private. There are some very nice public courses in the B'ham area and I'd recommend going that route for costs.

9. VtDivot

VtDivot SLIGHTERED Supporting Member

OK - that is the funniest thing I have ever seen.... AWESOME!

10. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

Good God man - these are hilarious...I am in Maryland this week on a business trip and this has been the highlight of the day!!

Please save them all in a portfolio....poor Rock will regret the day he ever put the face on the site.

If it is indeed his.

11. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

Yes, these are legitimately good courses at very fair prices and they like having groups of crazy drunks...

I think we will fit the bill quite well.

12. Rockford35

Canada Canada

Hey, if i'm going to be made fun of, it might as well be my real mug.

November can't come soon enough. :)

R35