• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Old Overton - Birmingham

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
DaveE said:
Well I'm sure November will be about perfect then. I with Sling, that course should be on the list.

OK - this will be a topic of discussion by the group.

Getting a large group on a course like this can be tricky - but I can certainly try. Most of these courses require that one member be in each foursome...so if we had 12 ST players I would have to line up three members there to get the entire group on...and then we would have 15 players - 3 members and 12 ST guests. (This is the same policy at my course...I have to have one member in each foursome.)

The issue for everyone to agree upon is expense. I would not recommend walking this course during a three day period when a group of players is playing 36 a day. Especially for the "flatlanders" like Rock...they would get whipsawed by the hills.

The cost for One round at this course without cart is $103 and its $123 with the cart...so as the time draws nearer -lets have a discussion point about budget...

I would love to play here with the group though and we could swing it if everyone agreed. We could play here in the morning and jump in the van and hit another course in the afternoon.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I'm in for walking. It doesn't tire me out any. Can't speak for anyone else, but i'm not beyond walking a course like that. Not in the least.

I would love to play there. Looks just outstanding.

So far, you have two courses that should be on the list. I'd be willing to sacrifice to play these two, even if it meant just 18 a day.

R35

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I haven't walked in a few years because of my back. I read somewhere that walking with a push cart is easier on the back than riding but I haven't tried it yet. In any case 36 a day will require me to figure out the easiest way.

I can't see the extra expense for a cart being a problem since Rock has agreed to pay everyones green fees. Thanks again Rock. :D

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
DaveE said:
I haven't walked in a few years because of my back. I read somewhere that walking with a push cart is easier on the back than riding but I haven't tried it yet. In any case 36 a day will require me to figure out the easiest way.

I can't see the extra expense for a cart being a problem since Rock has agreed to pay everyones green fees. Thanks again Rock. :D

Well we could easily mix "walkers and riders". There would be no problem with that anywhere...

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Bravo said:
Well we could easily mix "walkers and riders". There would be no problem with that anywhere...

Our club manager just bought a push cart and has said I could borrow it. I'm gonna try it out and see if it's better. Our course if pretty hilly so it should be a good test.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Bravo said:
When I went to bed, I was a fecking noodle - and I don't mean the golf ball...

There are drugs that can help you with this problem B :)

On another note, I walk my Lab and son just about every evening, they both really look forward to it, so I know you didn't want to let them down!

What do you figure this sort of thing would cost anyways? A grand or so? I suppose it would really depend on airfare.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
I'm down with walking. I have a pull cart. Quitting the cigarettes now, so the lungs should be healing up nicely by then... ;)

Quentin

How U Doin'?
Aug 27, 2004
DaveE said:

Absolutely the way to go if you want to walk but not lug your bag. I have an old knee injury that acts up if I carry my bag for 18. Rent a pull cart and I'm good to go. I don't like riding as it takes me away from the course too much. Feels like I'm not really playing. I'll do it for a scramble or something, but I prefer to always walk.

~QQ

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
VtDivot said:
There are drugs that can help you with this problem B :)

On another note, I walk my Lab and son just about every evening, they both really look forward to it, so I know you didn't want to let them down!

What do you figure this sort of thing would cost anyways? A grand or so? I suppose it would really depend on airfare.

VT:

Here is a rough estimate on what I think the trip would cost...And I Hope to be able to Commit to the group on this in August - which is critical to getting cheap airfares - at that point we would be about 75 days out...

1) Airfare: $200-$350. Everyone who lives near a Southwest Airlines airport and buys 3 weeks out can fly for a maximum of about $250 - roundtrip. The other airlines simplified their fare systems last winter and their fares have gone down quite a bit. I am flying out of here on Delta, USAir and Continental on business trips and when I book at least three weeks out - I am getting fares of around $325 wherever I go. The closest SW airports to Burlington are in Albany and Manchester - if you were unable to get a good fare out of there.

2) Hotel: Depends on if you double bunk. I figure that there is no need for an upscale hotel like a Hilton or Mariott. I am thinking of putting everyone up in a Hampton Inn or something like that - as long as there is a bar in walking distance since the main downside to hotels like Hamptons is the lack of a bar. A Hampton Inn would run about $90 a night...and you would likely be here three nights.

3) Golf: Depends on a variety of issues. If the group wants to play some of these private courses AND I can manage to get enough members to host us - then you can count on fees of about $125 per round...

The top public courses in the area are very very good. I just haven't played them in awhile to get my picutures out there. When I do put the pictures up on the site, they are going to look very very similar to the Shoal Creek and Old Overton pictures and cost about half as much to play AND have Daily Greens fees.

Limestone Springs is the #68 Public Course in the US. The cost for one round is $68 and they have a "replay fee" of about $20 or so...So we can play 36 holes on the #68 course for $88.

Farmlinks is similar in quality. Beautiful course in immaculate condition. The golf course is a "turfgrass research facility" and as a result is in super condition...Their cost for 36 holes including rangeballs, cart and lunch is $100.

And I haven't even mentioned the Robert Trent Jones Trail yet. You have heard of these...they will run about $60 per round. I would think the group would want to try these courses for a day just to see what the Trail courses are like...

So, if we stick to the public courses, you can figure your golf will be about $100 per day.

The rest of your money is for food and booze and betting. I figure we will have a three day tourney will bets totalling about $60 per player. We will have a variety of individual and team bets that will be a ton of fun...

So that's about it. I am thinking we will do this on a Thursday, Friday, Saturday with Sunday return so people can go back to work or school on the following Monday. I guess that people will fly in on Wednesday night and we will crank it up on Thursday morning. Those on the East coast can get here in 3-4 hours and those coming from the far western US or Canada will need 6-7 hours travel time so they will need all day Sunday to get home....

Please consider it. I am going to try my dead level best to get some Irishes over here too. It would be a fantastic international event....

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
I hate to be a stick here, but I like the idea of public courses. Explaining the trip to the wife is well enough, without adding in $300 a day in golf. Alabama is much like my area here. Many of the public courses are close to CC quality.

That's my vote.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
bdcrowe said:
I hate to be a stick here, but I like the idea of public courses. Explaining the trip to the wife is well enough, without adding in $300 a day in golf. Alabama is much like my area here. Many of the public courses are close to CC quality.

That's my vote.

Actually - I agree..and it's weird when you are a member of a private club like me. Many people (who are not a club members) think that the "private club experience" is somehow much better than a public course...

20 years ago this was definitely true. If you wanted really good quality golf, it was predominently available at private courses as public facilites really stunk. But with the explosion in Public Access facilities, there's just not much difference now. Most of my friends are members of these nice clubs (highly rated) and don't think twice about going to one of the public courses I am mentioning here. The "golf snobbery" issue just is not there with them because they know we are playing on a first rate course - that happens to be public access...

Anyway, we can talk about it as the time draws nearer...And as long as we get good weather (which we should in the Fall) we'll have a great time and really good courses public or private...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I'm down for public if it helps everyone else justify coming.

I wouldn't mind maybe making one day a private course outing, maybe just the one 18, but not everyday. Public is where I play every round of the year. And I love every minute of it.

Plus, public course fees allow for more on course consumption of one's favorite bevies.... :prop:

R35

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
So then about $1000 plus some food and drink is reasonable. I will have to see what momma says. I am doubting it, as our annual trip to the caribbean might trump this golf adventure. We'll see as time draws nearer.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
VtDivot said:
So then about $1000 plus some food and drink is reasonable. I will have to see what momma says. I am doubting it, as our annual trip to the caribbean might trump this golf adventure. We'll see as time draws nearer.

If you get a good airfare and double up with a roommate and we play the public facilities...we should do it around $900...

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I'm fine with public courses as well. From the pictures you've posted they are all as nice or nicer than anything I play now.

The lower price hotel is also good. Doesn't sound like we'll spend that much time there anyway. Double bunking is also ok.

I need some the "potential" in my business to turn into money for this to happen but I'll know one way or the other by August. I ended up canceling my trip to Houston this month so I'm hoping to cash in those brownie points in Nov.

🔥 Latest posts