• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Old Skool Fairway Wood Question

WWBDD

Supporting Member
Feb 15, 2013
Country
Canada Canada
I can't hit a wood off the deck to save my life.

My longest club other than my driver is a Cleveland #2 Hibore XLS hybrid.

Last edited:

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
I can't hit a wood of the deck to save my life.

My longest club other than my driver is a Cleveland #2 Hibore XLS hybrid.
Fw woods are the weakest part of my game too. I think it's because I don't need them to score. I lay up a lot, lol. I've hit some great shots with a 3 wood but they are few and far between. Nothing sucks worse than dropping and hitting 4 with 250+ yards of meat still on the bone. It always seems to make more sense to me to hit an iron, then pitch a wedge into the green.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
United States United States
Fw woods are the weakest part of my game too. I think it's because I don't need them to score. I lay up a lot, lol. I've hit some great shots with a 3 wood but they are few and far between. Nothing sucks worse than dropping and hitting 4 with 250+ yards of meat still on the bone. It always seems to make more sense to me to hit an iron, then pitch a wedge into the green.
^^^this FTMFW!!!

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
An update on my old skool 4 wood. So, I've been gaming it about 2 years. To recap, it's a rare tour version and even more rare is that it's a 4 wood. I have a quality shaft in it. I originally sourced it because I noticed that a number of non-Nike players were gaming it (which was a rarity at the time). [see below images]

My latest thoughts? This thing is an absolute keeper. Not one time have I thought of getting rid of it. A fairway finder and a great club to go for the green on those long par 5s. Great out of rough. 220 - 240 yards all day, everyday. In these days of a new TM release every 3 months, I almost feel embarrassed to game a 10 year old club; until I have to hit it and the outcome is usually good. *Kirk out*

post-3152-039233000%201279416868_thumb.jpg
post-61812-066523600%201279552351_thumb.jpg

Last edited:

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I still game a 15-year-old Cobra baffler hybrid. 2 TMs equivalents couldn't shift it. It will be there for probably another 15.

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Still playing my TM V-Steel 4w and have no intention of taking it out anytime soon.

Greg, I'm so in love with a 4 wood it probably breaks laws somewhere. It gives the ball a nice higher flight so that it lands nice and soft. The distance difference from a 15 degree 3 wood would be negligible but the ease in hitting it is noticeable.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.