• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ordered uPro GPS

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
My wife won a $100 Callaway Gift Card at an outing, so between that and the fact that they now have a $100 mail in rebate, it seemed like the thing to pick up.

Had been eying one of these to replace my iGolf for a while now, but couldn't justify the $400 price tag.

The other reason I was skeptical is that I like the AA battery option in my iGolf over many of the others. Although I picked up an extra battery, so that should work just as well. Said it would ship in 3-4 weeks because of the high demand. Will post a review when it comes and have a chance to put it to use.
Callaway uPro | Introducing golf's best GPS Rangefinder

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I've been looking at those, looks pretty sweet. I'm looking forward to your review.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Thast a good lookin GPS...

Looking forward to the review. I will probably end up getting one eventually...they sure are handy.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Thast a good lookin GPS...

Looking forward to the review. I will probably end up getting one eventually...they sure are handy.

Yep, Teedroid on my Blackberry is nice, and cheap too. But all it gives is distance to the green, it doesn't show hazards and such.

According to website you can add that information, but I've yet to figure out how, :D

EddieC

Feb 1, 2006
Nice looking unit, loads of cool in that thing. Any idea what the promode downloads cost?

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
Very cool, I hope you like it.

It's amazing what a brand name can do. When it was just the uPro nobody was buying them. Callaway scooped it up and stuck their name on it and suddenly there's a 3-4 week backorder because they can't keep up with demand.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Very cool, I hope you like it.

It's amazing what a brand name can do. When it was just the uPro nobody was buying them. Callaway scooped it up and stuck their name on it and suddenly there's a 3-4 week backorder because they can't keep up with demand.
Thought the same thing myself. Actually a big part of the reason I decided I really wanted one was that Callaway picked them up, which gave good assurance they would be around for a while. Before I was kinda leary with at that price whether they would be around for a long time.

Could have picked it up today at my club with a 10% discount, although I got the impression that the $100 mail in rebate may not be honored.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
Thought the same thing myself. Actually a big part of the reason I decided I really wanted one was that Callaway picked them up, which gave good assurance they would be around for a while. Before I was kinda leary with at that price whether they would be around for a long time.

Could have picked it up today at my club with a 10% discount, although I got the impression that the $100 mail in rebate may not be honored.

Same. I had it on my Christmas list last year, but scratched it off because I worried about future support since no courses around here had the cool features yet. It'll definitely be on the list this year -- assuming you like it, of course. If it's even half as cool as it looks in the ads I don't see how you wouldn't love it, but I certainly look forward to the review. I hope you can find a nearby course with the arial photography so you get the full effect.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Both the courses we belong to as well as the one we belonged to last year and still play a bit have the Pro Mode. Actually most in our area do, which is surprising because that is not the case with many of the GPS's or at least last I looked. Actually that was the primary reason why I got the iGolf, because it was the only out at the time that allowed entering your own points.

Not sure I will get to many in Pro Mode. Probably buy 10 credits, maybe only 5. The basic mode seems to have ample information and I primarily play those 2 courses. Only downside is my current is 27 holes. I haven't signed up yet, but I believe it used to be equal to buying 2 courses, but may be 3 now. I think you get 3 for 1 course, and most cost 3 but 9 holes may only cost 2? Fairly irrelevant though, as I will be using it a ton for that course.

Will certainly be downloading a boatload of courses in basic mode in case they go to a annual membership charge and charge for Basic. That was the other thing I liked. It has a MicroSD, so I imagine I will either be able to find a way to copy them to my PC, or worst case will buy a bunch of cards which are pretty cheap that are supposed to hold about 50 in Pro Mode.

Glad this happened now, was getting ready to map my new home course with my own points, and that can be a bit tedious.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Looking forward to your review.
Still do not have the unit, but probably will be sooner than expected.

Got an e-mail from Callaway saying it was backordered till the end of July as opposed to the 3-4 weeks they originally mentioned. Called to find out if my local club is eligible for the Mail in Rebate, as they have them in stock and if I waited for Callaway I would cancel the order as that would be to the end of the golf season almost. I figured if I wanted to wait that long I would wait till next year to see what comes out.

They said it would be eligible, and would even be so with my additional 10% rebate that I get as a member of my club. So that'll knock another $40 off. Am going down today to get it there. So if it ever stops raining non stop in PA it will be soon.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Went out today to do a practice round and mainly to learn to use the uPro. First Impression is this thing is SWEET in relation to the iGolf. Just purchased 20 Pro Mode courses and am downloading my frequented tracks as I type (ProMode download times seem very slow, but this is no deterent to my impression of the device)

Just stupid easy to use. Expect an initial review on Tuesday after my weekend rounds and Monday match, for which I have all the courses on ProMode.

I bought a GPS (the old iGolf) mainly for my old home course which is the one I play on Monday in match play. Specifically for 2-3 holes. Curious to see how it does.

So far I love that you can pinpoint the pin then drag back to the distance you want to be for a lay up to see the best point to aim.

ejdahl21

Never Lay Up
Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2007
I checked out the upro at Golf Galaxy today. Looks like a pretty sweet setup.
Pa Jayhawk, have you had time to play with yours yet?

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I checked out the upro at Golf Galaxy today. Looks like a pretty sweet setup.
Pa Jayhawk, have you had time to play with yours yet?
Yeah, have used it for a few rounds. It seems like the real deal and have had great luck with it so far. Will try to do an initial review in the next day, then a better one around Tuesday after the 4-5 rounds through this weekend. Very simple to use once you get used to the features. I did a practice round just to do so, and is probably a good idea even though it has a demo mode to do the simulated round at home.

The one feature that looks really nice, that in turn I am not sure adds a lot for me is the Flyover. I ended up disabling it because the courses I got in Pro Mode are ones I am very familiar with already. So it just kinda takes up time in the beginning of each hole, and I hit the skip anyways. It would be nice if you were playing with someone unfamiliar with the course to show the hole layout, or if you did promode for a course you are unfamiliar. You get more than enough on the other promode features on being able to zoom in and out. In the two course I played, I noticed 1-2 discrepancies of a few yards, although I am not sure which is wrong. I actually noticed discrepencies with my old GPS, that after checking further by taking it to the green and stepping off ended up being the course markings and not the GPS.

Play 4-5 rounds through this weekend, and should have a lot better idea of it's capability.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.