• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

OSU #2, Wisconsin #3 ???

fore142

Oct 22, 2006
im an ohio State fan, and i dont take well to the bashing, haha. I do however agree with you. Wisconsin beat OSU and deserves the #1 spot.

Now to defend ohio state. they are ranked high because of who those three losses are to. Florida(#1) Wisconsin(#3) and UNC(#4). There could not possibly be a better set of three losses.

fore142

Oct 22, 2006
granted, none of those losses for ohio state were really even that close of games, and many of their big ten games have been a lot closer than they should have been (purdue, mich st., mich, etc.).

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Looks like since Florida lost OSU is now #1. Wonder where Florida and Wisconsin will shake out. That means Wisconsin is the only big school team to only have 2 losses. Maybe after they beat OSU they'll be #1? :laugh:

fore142

Oct 22, 2006
i would be suprised IF after a win in columbus (i dont really see them winning at columbus, all of osu's losses have been on the road) that wisconsin wouldnt be #1.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
you better pray they don't make the cover of Sports Illustrated....

beware of the curse....

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
KU isn't so great, they've lost quite a few games thus far.
There are only 6 ranked teams with fewer loses, 4 with one fewer, and 2 with 2 fewer. I believe that and toughness of schedule would put them in pretty good company.

BTW, the Majority of their wins have been by 20 points or more.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
There are only 6 ranked teams with fewer loses, 4 with one fewer, and 2 with 2 fewer. I believe that and toughness of schedule would put them in pretty good company.

BTW, the Majority of their wins have been by 20 points or more.

Pa Jayhawk

Well, Wisconsin was #1 for a minute or two, LOL. I don't think the polls really can predict who's number one. You hear every conference argue that they're the toughest and toughness of schedule etc. ACC is supposed to be so tough but as Michigan State's Izzo says "when Big Ten (and other conference) teams lose to each other it's a weak conference. When ACC teams lose to each other it's parity". And what teams are "usually" ranked the highest (loses don't seem to matter)? The ones with the big "hot dog" players. And hot dog players don't make teams good. Sorry but I really feel that way. Kansas is probably a great TEAM because I don't hear about any hot dogs on them... Teams win. Gunners don't.

BRING ON THE MARCH MADNESS!!!:laugh:

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Well, Wisconsin was #1 for a minute or two, LOL. I don't think the polls really can predict who's number one. You hear every conference argue that they're the toughest and toughness of schedule etc. ACC is supposed to be so tough but as Michigan State's Izzo says "when Big Ten (and other conference) teams lose to each other it's a weak conference. When ACC teams lose to each other it's parity". And what teams are "usually" ranked the highest (loses don't seem to matter)? The ones with the big "hot dog" players. And hot dog players don't make teams good. Sorry but I really feel that way. Kansas is probably a great TEAM because I don't hear about any hot dogs on them... Teams win. Gunners don't.

BRING ON THE MARCH MADNESS!!!:laugh:
I usually do not like to see KU ranked #1 for that reason, especially going into the tournament. The Kansas National Championship in 88' came after a sub-par year, where towards the middle and even the end of that season there was serious question whether they would even make it into the tournament. Larry Brown had even commented towards the end that they would not accept an NIT Bid, likely to motivate his players to know if they didn't do really well at the end, that was it for their season and career for their better players. They had lost their first home game in I believe 4 years. Lost to 3 of teams they later beat in the tournament. They went in with fewer expectations than any team I can remember, and had something to prove against the teams they played.

I think this year, they likely would have been #1 earlier in the year had they not lost to Oral Roberts, as they were ranked around 5 and knocked off Florida who was #1 in the next game. I am kind of glad that didn't happen as they have a really young, unselfish team. It built character in the players, plus being #1 only counts at the end of the year. Two freshmen who turned down starting positions because they felt it hurt the chemistry of the team. A guard that was likely their team leader and the announcers constantly say needs to be more selfish and shoot more. They have no Sr's and only one Jr. that starts on occasion. If they can keep these players from leaving early, in 2 years I expect them to be comparable if not better to the teams from around 1997 and 2002 that each had four future 1st round draft picks on each team. 20 years ago I wanted to see them ranked #1as much as possible, now I am happy if they are never ranked #1 during the regular season or going into the tournament.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.