• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Over the top

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
Lately I have developed a bad habit of coming over the top. I used to have a nice draw and was a very natural swing. Now im slicing and loosing a lot of distance. Anyone have any drills or advice to get a proper swing plane? I spent a lot of time on the range trying to fix it but the most progress I've gotten is a straight pull.

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
United States United States
Try to flatten your backswing and follow through, when you come through the ball, you wanna Finnish low and left per se, so you cover the ball, but none of that will work unless you stand farther away from the ball, that's the other key for me, stand farther away and cover the ball. Standing far away with that flatter swing plane will also promote an inside out impact path, producing a very straight ball, to draw, attempt to push out the club at impact, to fade, stand a wee bit closer to the ball, and steepen the plane a little.

HOPE THIS HELPS!!!! Really helped me, I figured it out on my own, so no guarruntee I guess.

OP
Queball915

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
Thanks. Im going to go to the range tonight and put some good work in. I'm playing my last round in California this week at Torrey Pines and want to make it a good one. Don't want to go play there h in the middle of a slump.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Take a shag bag and lay a shaft across the top so it sits about 6" off the ground. Put a ball directly under it then hit. It forces you to swing inside/out, if you come over the top you hit the shag bag & or the shaft.

I did it last summer, worked great. I think there is a thread on it here somewhere.

OP
Queball915

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
Take a shag bag and lay a shaft across the top so it sits about 6" off the ground. Put a ball directly under it then hit. It forces you to swing inside/out, if you come over the top you hit the shag bag & or the shaft.

I did it last summer, worked great. I think there is a thread on it here somewhere.
Thanks. I heard that before but forgot about that drill.

OP
Queball915

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
Got a lesson today from a former LPGA player and a top instructor. She's an older broad but received quite a few lessons from jack Nicholas. She was able to spot my flaw right away. Seems my back leg was swaying and my torso was turning more down than rotational. This seemed to correct my swing plane. Can't hit them all just perfect yet but the ones I did hit well, there was a huge difference. Drives a good 30 yards longer.

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
Who is jack Nicholas? I knew of a guy who was pretty good a while back, but his name was Nicklaus... Idk

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Who is jack Nicholas? I knew of a guy who was pretty good a while back, but his name was Nicklaus... Idk
attachment.php

rob0225

Mar 27, 2006
Country
I was having the same problem. One of the drills my course pro had me do was after I took my stance and setup to the ball to bring my right index finger over the front of the grip (kinda like holding a cigarette). He said that finger can influence the downswing and doing that takes it out of the equation. It worked like a charm. It's not meant to always hit like that but as a drill to get the feel of the swing.

I didn't have a huge over the top swing but enough to cause me to come across the ball.

OP
Queball915

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
Dangit! Now I'm back to fighting the hook. What is this madness?!

OP
Queball915

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
Yes I know the spelling, but the swipe thing on my phone does not and I don't usually proof my post. You'll see random words scattered through my post now and then

OP
Queball915

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
And the hooking of my woods is back....AGAIN. any tips? I tried to go back to square 1 but can't correct it this time.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.