• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Padraig Harrington Finds 'Mental Edge'

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States
THE LAST TIME PADRAIG HARRINGTON WON on the PGA Tour, Barack Obama was 17 days from being nominated for president of the United States. Harrington won the PGA Championship on August 10, 2008. It was the Irishman's second consecutive major and third overall. "Paddy" was on top of the golf world. There was only one way to go.

Padraig Harrington explained his decline on Feherty
in July 2014. (Golf Channel image)​
"There's no doubt on your way back down it's a lot different," Harrington told Golf Channel's Steve Sands after winning the Honda Classic in a sudden-death playoff, "but hopefully this isn't an isolated win."

Harrington made up four shots on the lead over the closing nine holes and sank a birdie on the final green to get into a playoff. (As usual, PGA National was brutal. The winning total was 6 under.) He then closed out the victory when Daniel Berger hit into the water on the treacherous par-3 17th and made double bogey.

The water also drowned the hopes of others.

Ian Poulter started the final round with a three-shot lead. Poulter hit into the water five times during a final round that stretched over two days, missing the playoff by a single shot.

"It's a shame to hand tournaments away," Poulter told Sands. "I've handed one away this week. It's going to hurt."

Meanwhile, Harrington, who claimed his first PGA title at the Honda Classic a decade ago, is heading in a better direction.

"I really do believe in myself," he said.

"I think I really found that mental edge that has been lacking the last number of years and, hopefully, I can stick with that going forward and be consistently contending. Because I know if I am contending I can win."

NBC golf analyst Johnny Miller was impressed by what he saw.

"Yesterday we pretty much had written him off because he was going the wrong direction missing short putts," Miller said.

"But you talk about a sweet win. At 43 years old he's gone through the bottom dregs of golf ... from a three-time major champion winner to almost, sort of, embarrassing. And just stuck with it."

Harrington lost his PGA Tour card last year and got into the Honda Classic field with a sponsor's exemption. With the 20th victory of his professional career, Harrington moved from 297 to 82 in the world golf rankings.

If he's not back, he's certainly on his way.

Source: Padraig Harrington Finds 'Mental Edge'

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Have always liked Padraig. Hated to see him fall off the face of golf. Yet, this tournament....

Poulter had it won. Not one bogey in his 3rd round. Five... FIVE balls in the water in round 4. Reed had an excellent chance. The youngster, Berger, finished his round at 10 a.m. Had to come back at 5 p.m. and play "the most nervous I've ever been on a golf course". Harrington had choked on into the water at 17 during his earlier round. Berger had birdied it. This time, Harrington dropped his tee shot 5 FT from the hole. Berger choked and came up short... in the drink.
Good finish. Always like the tough U.S. Open venues when par was awesome. This final round, seeing veteran pros carding double and triple bogeys, was just as much fun to watch.

🔥 Latest posts