• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Paired up as a rookie golfer

Justice76

Jun 11, 2005
I am new to game and I really enjoy to play alone. I just do not have a strong enough game to play with others. I just get in my head I am ruining there day. Is it mandatory to get paired up? I wish I had friends that like to play but they are just not intrested yet.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
It depends where you play. Our course lets singles on all the time but on a busy day it's a pain playing alone because you'll be waiting for every shot.

If you ask, you might be able to get paired up with other new golfers so you'd be more comfortable. And for what it's worth most people don't care how good you are. I play with people that are much better and much worse and it makes no difference.

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast

Deep in thought
Sep 6, 2005
I think you'll need to learn to deal with it. Especially on weekends and busier times.

I'd say that most times, others won't mind if you play worse than them so long as you maintain a reasonable pace of play.

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
If you get paired up, let the others know you are new to the game. Ask them if there is anything that bothers them during a round and then try not to do it.
Most people fully understand that you are going to take a lot of strokes on the course so don't worry about it.
Some basic things to remember.
Do not search for your lost ball for very long.
Do not talk while others are hitting.
Do not walk across the line on the putting green (an imaginary line between the ball and the hole)
Follow these and you should be ok.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
And don't play with bent clubs or forget to call for a rules official if you need to make a drop. :D

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
I'm with obagain...all I care about is basic etiquette and slow play. Do the first, don't do the second ;)

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Yesterday a friend and I had a 1:16 PM tee time at Forest Hills. Normally, this time of year, the course is not crowded, as a lot of people are watching football, but the weather was perfect (clear, 70F) and EVERYBODY decided to play golf.

The starter paired Charles and I with 2 guys in their late 20s, one of whom said he normally played to a +3 handicap. He didn't play that well yesterday, but he could still smoke it from the blue tees. He was "coaching" his friend, who played pretty well already.

Charles and I immediately started playing like shit. :) I did hit a few decent shots, but they were few and far between. Charles started exploring the woods 200 yards down the right side of each fairway. :)

These guys were nice, but I could tell we were holding them back, so at the turn Charles and I took a break to let them go ahead. On #9, I let the "learner" of the 2 hit my Hogan CS-3 off the tee; he smoked it over 300, straight as an arrow, on the first swing. It ain't the arrows, it's the Indian.

On the #9 green, which is adjacent to the #1 teebox, we were putting when a "FORE!" was heard, and a ball came bounding across the green from the teebox. A guy came running over and said "Sorry, beginners".

On the back 9, Charles and I were more relaxed, but the course was so crowded with 4somes, that it took us until 6PM to finish! We were always having to wait on the 4some in front.

Playing with friends is definitely less strssful than with strangers, even nice ones. I can't imagine having to play with a jerk; I think I'd just walk off the course.

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
Your in luck, There are not many jerks in golf. You will at some time run across one but for the most part golfers are good people.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.