• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Par four schmar four...

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Sheesh! Now we have an engineer who lives out in the pot-smokin', balmy Northwest who thinks he can change the layout of golf courses that has been the typical for a hundred years! Go back to drawing electricity on paper and leave us old geezers' golf courses alone!!:D

I sorta like the typical layout... as you described it. Add another 5? Us old folks struggle enough with a couple of them on each nine. Add another 3? Then, you lose some of the challenge. I understand the desire for equal numbers. Still, a good designer will build a course where the fours are enough different that you don't get bored. Write to the USGA and ask them if we can turn at least one of the fours into a five on each side.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
There are too many par fours are out there. Each nine should have three par threes, three par fours, and three par fives. Fight me.

No argument from me. The index 1 hole at my club is a long par 4. You have to be long and straight to have a chance. At about 440 yards I think it should be a par 5.
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1553257948.999888.jpg

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Write to the USGA and ask them if we can turn at least one of the fours into a five on each side.
If I write to the USGA it would be to tell them how much ass they suck.

I do see your point about how too many par 5s would affect you short-knockers. Luckily for you, next year's driver will be 30 yards longer and perfectly straight, so you should be able to reach those par 5s in two!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
If I write to the USGA it would be to tell them how much ass they suck.

I do see your point about how too many par 5s would affect you short-knockers. Luckily for you, next year's driver will be 30 yards longer and perfectly straight, so you should be able to reach those par 5s in two!
I've bought new drivers the last few years, each advertised to give me an additional 17 yards. I'm now hitting my driver over 150 yards!!!!:D

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I hate a run of 420-450 yard par 4s. It's a bit of a slugfest. Its like a 270-yard par 3 or a 600-yard par 5. Mix it up. Par is just a number. Have long holes but mix them up with shorter, more strategic holes. Test all clubs in the bag, not just the driver.

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
A 450 yard par 4 is a par 5.
This is the course I played the Mid-Am at a few years ago (black tees). It's a great way to take the fun out of golf.

There's water along pretty much the entire right side of the 483-yard par 4 13th. The 16th is the hole I recorded a 10. :poop:

BBR_As-%20Built%20Scorecard.jpg

🔥 Latest posts