• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

PAT - Players Ability Test

20 PAT's

Jun 21, 2009
Did we play together? lol seriously congrats bro!

hey you never know, was that you shooting up with your "insulin" on the fifth hole at PGA National?
All kidding aside I met some great guys and some strange ones, but it did make me a better player, I think...

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
I was lucky enough to pass the PAT on my first attempt, although I had to make a pretty decent length putt on the last hole to hit right on the number. One of the biggest feelings of accomplishment that I have achieved on the golf course, there were two guys in my group who literally threw up on themselves over the last three holes to miss by a couple of strokes each.

20 PAT's

Jun 21, 2009
I was lucky enough to pass the PAT on my first attempt, although I had to make a pretty decent length putt on the last hole to hit right on the number. One of the biggest feelings of accomplishment that I have achieved on the golf course, there were two guys in my group who literally threw up on themselves over the last three holes to miss by a couple of strokes each.
Maybe we played together...lol

20 PAT's

Jun 21, 2009
Anybody here take their PAT?

What's the deal with it? 36 holes, shoot 76ish both rounds, and you pass?

I'm sort of curious to attempt it sometime this upcoming summer, but I'm really not positive if I have to attend a school to take it. Anybody know if I can just pay the money and get on the list to play in it?

I'm pretty sure in order to register for the program you need to be employed at a recognized PGA facility.. call 800 4 PGA PRO...

Manavs

Bodybuilding Golf Pro
Dec 19, 2008
hey you never know, was that you shooting up with your "insulin" on the fifth hole at PGA National?
All kidding aside I met some great guys and some strange ones, but it did make me a better player, I think...

nope not a diabetic and not stupid enough to mess with my insulin levels - ESP on the golf course!!!

PSU1984

Mar 6, 2010
Well here's my two cents worth: As you may or may not have noticed by my screen name I was a veteran of the "PAT Tour". I took 20 before I passed. Yep, that's right 20... Before you say "wow that guy's a beater", remember this, how hard is it to play golf? now think, jeez, today I'm playing 36 holes. I just need to make roughly 20 pars and 16 bogeys. Wow that's not that difficult... Show up for 8 AM shotgun with 143 of your newest friends for ten plus hours of fun...Oh yeah, one of the guys in my group has never broken 90 and one guy is grinding his balls off after the first tee shot while the other chump is fresh out of D1 with his collar popped and his Ian Poulter uniform on. Wow this is a lot tougher than playing with my buds for a $2 nassau...OK cool, just need to shoot 77-77 and I'm on my way... First hole usually went like this, Player #1 would either pipe one straight down the middle or Steve Austin top one fifty feet. Player #2 would either follow suit or explain where Player #1 was supposed to take his drop and then proceed to tell me about how he shot 65 here last week Player #3 hits his pretty solid, down the middle and then gripes about the bad break that he got because his ball landed in the downgrain cut... then its my turn... who shows up today the future PGA Pro or the lifetime bagboy?!?!
Long story short I missed by two shots three times, one shot twice. Not bad I thought for someone who had never played ANY competetive golf.
When I passed the nice lady at the PGA (who I had gotten to know pretty well) said that more people had taken the PAT, but no one had taken more and passed it.
Funny thing was after I passed it I decided to get out of the golf business. Took three years off, got my amateur status back, played in a couple of USGA events, and this spring found myself back in the business. So I had to reapply for membership, which meant I had to retake the PAT...
No kidding, passed on the first try... medalist and passed by ten shots 73-70...
so yeah it's mental.

First off, congrats for passing it.
Now, I know exactly what your talking about. I have now taken 5 PATS and have not passed yet, but I have been close every time. I think the PGA should put a number into effect the would suspend anyone who shoots say, over 100. I've seen it happen so many times. I've had 2 horrible playing partners in my PATS that went beyond just playing bad. The first one was at the Penn State Univserity Blue Course. The guy was playing terrible and had his father and girlfriend along. The 3 of them talked the entire time and bad mouthed me and the other playing partner (we were a 3some), even though we were both playing much better then him. He blamed his new shoes for the problem, said they were hurting his feet. Eventually he took them off and played the second round in his barefeet. By the last 6 holes he was sitting down on the tee, fairway, and green when he wasn't up. I don't remember his name but I do know that he was the newly hired assistant golf pro at the elks club in or around state college, pa.
The other horrible partner was a kid that i played with at Mocassin Run Golf Course in Atglen, PA. He wore head phones the entire time to listen to his ipod. Never even took them off when we started, there was no introductions, handshakes, etc. The only reason I knew his name at the time was because it was on the official scorecard.
For guys who are taking this to become pros they sure aren't very professional. They have a lot to learn.

🔥 Latest posts