• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Pause at the top...

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
So, I may have made a breakthrough with my swing as I try to get back into golf after a decade of almost no golf, as well as the recovery from my leg injury last year. I've been struggling with inconsistency as well as a real lack of power. I thought I'd made some headway with the stack and tilt, but it proved to be inconsistent as well. I went back to more of my old Hogan-esque swing of old, as the right leg seems to be able to handle it for the most part, but I have still been inconsistent at best and weak.

I had my wonderful wife record about five swings from down the line and then I watched the footage. The swing looked overall OK, but something seemed off. At first I couldn't put my finger on it. Then I had the sense that it had to do with tempo. Then I noticed that I wasn't setting the club at the top. I was rushing the transition, which I suspected was throwing the timing and all the moving parts off on the through swing.

I went back out to the net, practiced what feels like a pronounced pause at the top, and then swinging as hard as I want through the ball to follow through. The ball seems to be coming off the club with power. Contact feels amazing. Even my finishing posture seems to be ending with much better balance.

I'm excited for my next round Thursday. We'll see if that little pause is a magic prescription or sugar pill.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Crowe man! That's a great drill, which I try myself from time to time for exactly the reasons you stated. It helps my timing and I'm trying to get my son to adopt it. He gets very quick at transition, in an effort to power the ball. His problem is consistency. He's spraying them a bit in both directions and rushing at transition.

OP
bdcrowe

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Tell you what Mr. Harrington, I'll post results of the next several rounds in this thread and you can use it as proof for your argument to Padraig Jr. Or if my suckitude remains unchanged, he can tell you to mind your own business. :)

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.